View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

davepl
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/30/15
Send PM

MAME theory of operation
#341699 - 06/21/15 01:55 AM

Is there such a document or site that introduces experienced devs to the project architecture? Or are there only 5000 documents called "the code"?

I'd like to know it at the level of if I were to write a driver for Coleco Electronic Quarterback (simplest game I can think of) I'd know where the pieces go, how they get used, how it draws, and so on.

You can't even sign up for an account at MAMEDEV.org anymore... not sure where to start.

Thanks for any pointers in the right direction!

couriersud
Reged: 03/27/07
Send PM

Re: MAME theory of operation new [Re: davepl]
#341712 - 06/21/15 09:28 PM

Use a driver for a game which is "close" to the game you want to emulate as a starting point. Use this as a template for your own driver.

In a project like MAME any documentation never keeps up with the changes to the code. And what is even worse than no documentation is misleading documentation. I know that's a lame excuse. But this is a non-commercial project. Resources are scarce and devs prefer to focus on inventing new things instead of writing documentation in their spare time.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: MAME theory of operation new [Re: couriersud]
#341721 - 06/22/15 04:00 AM

>In a project like MAME any documentation never keeps up with the changes to the code.

Your netlist work certainly fits the description. *kidding*

And good work by both drewcifer and you with this recent work.

--
Analog drums and filtering for Kid Niki et al. [Andrew Gardner,Couriersud]

src/mame/audio/nl_kidniki.c

+#define MC14584B_GATE

TRUTHTABLE_START(MC14584B_GATE, 1, 1, 0, "A,B")
--

The audio work with Kid Niki looks nuts imo with all those various components having to be accounted for in order to get analog audio supported.

I'd like to believe an amateur (no EE knowledge) can do netlist work on something like Gremlin's Blockade audio src/mame/audio/blockade.c since it seems to be the easiest of the lot of games with analog audio support, but I doubt it. I would have said Ramtek Hit Me, but there is an adjustable pot for game speed so that makes Ramtek Hit Me audio work a bit tougher compared to Gremlin's Blockade imo.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Re: MAME theory of operation new [Re: couriersud]
#341724 - 06/22/15 05:33 AM

> In a project like MAME any documentation never keeps up with the changes to the code. And what is even worse than no documentation is misleading documentation. I know that's a lame excuse. But this is a non-commercial project. Resources are scarce and devs prefer to focus on inventing new things instead of writing documentation in their spare time.

I remember drivers in the old days being written according to fairly different approaches. What standards, if any, have Aaron's, etc, contributions since .107 made/required in writing drivers?

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 142 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1412