Pages: 1

Dullaron
Mitchell or Dunard Garaus
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

HLSL + Overlay and GLSL + Overlay
#341401 - 06/12/15 10:59 PM

Is there anyway the DEV can get the overlay to curve with the screen? For example. Space Invaders (1978) red/green overlay still straight across the screen while the game screen got the curve like a real bulb screen.

You always have to use the HLSL curvature 0.0 and GLSL radius of curvature R = 10.5; to fix the issue. So it can line up with the overlay. Other wise look like they put the overlay on the bezel instead of the bulb.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

uman
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/15/12
Send PM

Re: HLSL + Overlay and GLSL + Overlay new [Re: Dullaron]
#341409 - 06/13/15 12:45 AM

Yeah, i also noticed that on some games. Maybe Jezze can fix this, if there is some info on where to look at. To get this working, some different processing layer ordering is needed. The curvature should be one of the last steps, at least after the overlay file .

I have hopes for HLSL, but some kind of query for the overlay in the HLSL code is needed. I will forward him this case, maybe he allready read this.

Edited by uman (06/13/15 12:49 AM)

SoltanGris42
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/16/13
Send PM

Re: HLSL + Overlay and GLSL + Overlay new [Re: uman]
#341412 - 06/13/15 12:56 AM

> Yeah, i also noticed that on some games. Maybe Jezze can fix this, if there is some
> info on where to look at. To get this working, some different processing layer
> ordering is needed. The curvature should be one of the last steps, at least after the
> overlay file .
>
> I have hopes for HLSL, but some kind of query for the overlay in the HLSL code is
> needed. I will forward him this case, maybe he allready read this.

But some overlays shouldn't be curved because they are on a flat piece of glass/plastic and not on the CRT itself. So to do it right, you'd need to have the ability to apply curvature to some artwork. But not all artwork I think. Which makes the whole thing more complicated.

uman
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/15/12
Send PM

Re: HLSL + Overlay and GLSL + Overlay new [Re: SoltanGris42]
#341428 - 06/13/15 12:06 PM

Absolutely right SoltanGris42. There are many different Space Invaders. The one with back-projected screen via mirror, comes to my mind here... etc.etc.
We should "collect" those cases, where it would be good to "curve" the overlay. I have only one cab and it is not a dedicated one .
Some help of others, that own originals would be nice.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 171 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1584