View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Dendy
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/04/15
Send PM

Really weird problem with 3DFX games after Windows update
#341078 - 06/04/15 07:12 PM

Hey guys, I've been having this weird issue with MAME regarding 3DFX games after installing a huge amount of windows updates. They used to run 100 percent perfectly stable before but after updating they still run 100 percent but dip to the 80s and sometimes overshoots to 110 constantly, rendering them practically unplayable. It's not an issue with speed since running unthrottled they ran the same numbers as they did before (somewhere around 130-200 percent). Does anyone know what the hell is going on, what the hell COULD have happened with the 3DFX driver that a windows update broke and what I can do to fix this? Anybody experience anything similar? Updating to the latest version of MAME still has the same issue

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Really weird problem with 3DFX games after Windows update new [Re: Dendy]
#341079 - 06/04/15 07:59 PM

> Hey guys, I've been having this weird issue with MAME regarding 3DFX games after
> installing a huge amount of windows updates. They used to run 100 percent perfectly
> stable before but after updating they still run 100 percent but dip to the 80s and
> sometimes overshoots to 110 constantly, rendering them practically unplayable

Windows Update can't touch anything in MAME. More likely there's some background process that's kicking in and depriving MAME of CPU time (run MAME windowed next to Task Manager and look for something suddenly using a lot of CPU when MAME slows down - it's usually a virus scanner or something similar).

Dendy
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Really weird problem with 3DFX games after Windows update new [Re: R. Belmont]
#341086 - 06/04/15 08:27 PM

I would think that except other 3D games don't or seem to not exhibit the same behavior, I've only noticed it with games running on 3DFX hardware. Speed Up, Tekken Tag and Die Hard Arcade all keep running the way they used to. I know Windows Update can't actually affect MAME but perhaps it affected something in Windows that the 3DFX driver depends on? I don't really know what else would cause these fluctuations since I've mostly turned off all unnecessary background services and it worked fine before

Here's a screenshot during one of it's 'fluctuations' which happens every other second or so, no other processes are running from what I can tell and I can run it unthrottled just fine without having it dip all over the place.

Edited by Dendy (06/04/15 08:38 PM)

Sune
Connected
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: Really weird problem with 3DFX games after Windows update new [Re: Dendy]
#341095 - 06/05/15 01:14 AM

> I know Windows Update
> can't actually affect MAME but perhaps it affected something in Windows that the 3DFX
> driver depends on?

I'm guessing your video card driver was updated. Go to the manufacturer's website, download the latest driver and install it on top.

S

Dendy
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Really weird problem with 3DFX games after Windows update new [Re: Sune]
#341104 - 06/05/15 06:19 AM

Updated to the latest catalyst control center, still the exact same issue. I doubt the video driver has anything to do with it anyhow

Here's a picture of it overshooting, as if to compensate for dipping under 100, this isn't unthrottled it happens during normal gameplay. The problem seems to be like it can't sync the variable framerate or something and just goes crazy

Edited by Dendy (06/05/15 07:24 AM)

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

LOL, "Girl with vibrator" :P new [Re: Dendy]
#341108 - 06/05/15 07:36 AM

Now I wonder what is that doing into the MAME directory.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: LOL, "Girl with vibrator" :P new [Re: BIOS-D]
#341109 - 06/05/15 07:49 AM

> Now I wonder what is that doing into the MAME directory.

hahahaha
He's got Grill videos in with his MAME :O

Dendy
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: LOL, "Girl with vibrator" :P new [Re: BIOS-D]
#341111 - 06/05/15 08:08 AM

> Now I wonder what is that doing into the MAME directory.

I'd tell you but then I'd have to kill you

:^)

Anyways, here's a video since I feel like just describing the problem doesn't accurately tell exactly what the issue is. Around 0:50 is when I unthrottle it and you can see it's running very consistently, definitely not a speed issue

https://youtu.be/rfoU-YtP3yA

For some reason the sound wasn't picked up, but trust me when it starts dipping it gets stuttery as all hell, it's terrible

Also it happens with literally any 3DFX game, it just can't stay at 100 even though it logically should.

Edited by Dendy (06/05/15 08:19 AM)

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: LOL, "Girl with vibrator" :P new [Re: Dendy]
#341116 - 06/05/15 04:39 PM

> Anyways, here's a video since I feel like just describing the problem doesn't
> accurately tell exactly what the issue is. Around 0:50 is when I unthrottle it and
> you can see it's running very consistently, definitely not a speed issue

That's a chimera - there's no way to tell how consistently it's actually going when it's unthrottled. It's quite possible there's an 80% frame surrounded by a run of 150% frames and you wouldn't see it.

Dendy
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: I'm not sure about that new [Re: R. Belmont]
#341123 - 06/05/15 10:01 PM

> That's a chimera - there's no way to tell how consistently it's actually going when
> it's unthrottled. It's quite possible there's an 80% frame surrounded by a run of
> 150% frames and you wouldn't see it.

That is possible, however when it's running unthrottled it certainly doesn't seem like it's ever dipping to the 80's, the sound seems fine and not stuttery at all and the performance is the same as when I ran it unthrottled before the windows updates (that is, when it was running 100 percent stable before)

Also, it doesn't quite explain why it would overshoot to 120 sometimes? It seems to me like some refresh rate hijinks

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 379 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2841