View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

MKFAN
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/12/13
Send PM

So is MESS ready for the big time ?
#340852 - 06/01/15 03:15 PM

I'm not a regular here and last time I updated my mame set has been a while. Anyway I noticed that mame and includes mess now. I've been using in the past stuff like zsnes/gens etc...

I've never had any problems using these and they been good over the years. But it would be nice to a have emu that would do all of it. Mess covers a lot of diff platforms but was wondering if in general they are as good as some of the emu's that only specifically are for one or two systems ?

These are the systems I'm interested using with mess, have any of you tried these games from these systems with mess ? I know I got several here maybe just say which won't work or not work well. I'm just not sure how mature mess is with these systems.

atari 2600,5200,7800
nes,snes,n64
gp,gbc,gba
sms,genesis,32x
tg16,turbo-cd
sega-cd,saturn
ps1

By the way will diff rom sets like No-intro or Goodset work
with mess or is mess strick to naming style, I'm assuming it does especially disc based games there a few formats out there like tru-rips,redump,chd etc...

Also some will think why don't you try and see for yourself. Well right now I'm in-between computers and can't try it for myself for a while.

By the way what are most of you guys going or are using mess instead of dedicated emu ?

What is the percentage of all he systems mess can emulate pretty good ?

Sorry if I sound noobish/annoying with my questions.

Thanks I hope I can get some of my questions answered.

Jaylinx
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/14/11
Send PM

Re: So is MESS ready for the big time ? new [Re: MKFAN]
#340855 - 06/01/15 04:07 PM

Here's a page for MESS systems statut

http://www.progettoemma.net/mess/sysset.php

Quote:

By the way will diff rom sets like No-intro or Goodset work

No-Intro is working fine, except for PC Engine, don't know why 1/2 of my roms doesn't start...

Edited by Jaylinx (06/01/15 04:09 PM)

MKFAN
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: So is MESS ready for the big time ? new [Re: Jaylinx]
#340861 - 06/01/15 05:54 PM

wow good catch, seems like MESS has a way to go for some of the systems I'm interested in. Thanks

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

#340864 - 06/01/15 06:13 PM

> wow good catch, seems like MESS has a way to go for some of the systems I'm
> interested in.

Do tell, I'm sure people will be right on it, your majesty!

etabeta
Reged: 08/25/04
Send PM

Re: So is MESS ready for the big time ? new [Re: Jaylinx]
#340873 - 06/01/15 07:42 PM

> No-Intro is working fine, except for PC Engine, don't know why 1/2 of my roms doesn't
> start...

US games must be run in the tg16 driver, because the data inside the US cards is not compatible with the Jpn console
This is faithful to the original behavior of the hardware

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#340874 - 06/01/15 08:47 PM

> wow good catch, seems like MESS has a way to go for some of the systems I'm
> interested in. Thanks

As usual, there's no substitute for actually trying what you want to run - a lot of systems marked NOT WORKING actually do work and play some games/run some software, because the definition of that flag is arbitrary.

MKFAN
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: So is MESS ready for the big time ? new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#340881 - 06/01/15 10:31 PM

> > wow good catch, seems like MESS has a way to go for some of the systems I'm
> > interested in.
>
> Do tell, I'm sure people will be right on it, your majesty!

That's not the way I meant it, it's alright I'm used to seeing your smart remarks over the years

Shoegazr
Rockstar
Reged: 01/21/06
Send PM

#340887 - 06/01/15 11:43 PM

> What is the percentage of all he systems mess can emulate pretty good ?

Hmmm... "all the systems" sounds vaguely Reirom-ish, but this might work for you.

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/28/03
Send PM

Re: So is MESS ready for the big time ? new [Re: etabeta]
#340915 - 06/02/15 04:32 AM

I just wish it wasn't such a PITA to get MESS to load a PC-Engine CD-ROM game through QMC2. I get the whole faithful to the original hardware behavior philosophy, but the bottom line is no matter how many hoops you make a user go through to load a game, you're still not physically inserting a real system card/CD-ROM into a real console. Why can't there be a global configuration option in QMC2 that lets the user simply tell MESS where to look for the system card rom and which one to use. Better yet, let MESS detect/find the system card in the ROM folder when the user attempts to fire up a CD-ROM? Same with other systems like Saturn and RAM carts.

Sorry if this comes off like a rant. Consider this post an immature relapse of my juvenile MAME .58 days

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

Re: So is MESS ready for the big time ? new [Re: DiodeDude]
#340916 - 06/02/15 04:40 AM

> I just wish it wasn't such a PITA to get MESS to load a PC-Engine CD-ROM game through
> QMC2. I get the whole faithful to the original hardware behavior philosophy, but the
> bottom line is no matter how many hoops you make a user go through to load a game,
> you're still not physically inserting a real system card/CD-ROM into a real console.
> Why can't there be a global configuration option in QMC2 that lets the user simply
> tell MESS where to look for the system card rom and which one to use. Better yet, let
> MESS detect/find the system card in the ROM folder when the user attempts to fire up
> a CD-ROM? Same with other systems like Saturn and RAM carts.
>
> Sorry if this comes off like a rant. Consider this post an immature relapse of my
> juvenile MAME .58 days

Speaking of PC-engine, has anyone encountered a problem where Rondo of Blood hangs in stage 2 (water section) when run in Mame .162?

https://youtu.be/nMqD4u64XFE?t=2m42s

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#340929 - 06/02/15 07:27 AM

> I just wish it wasn't such a PITA to get MESS to load a PC-Engine CD-ROM game through
> QMC2.

At the black screen just TAB then File Manager press Enter on Cartridge (Cart) scdsys (Cart)

Then scroll down to scdsys cart

Press enter again and you're at Run screen.

Not sure if there's an easier way but I remember QMC2 telling me how to automate all that in the past, but I've forgotten how it's done.

The above method is fairly simple and it's just a few presses once familiar with it.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: So is MESS ready for the big time ? new [Re: Master O]
#340930 - 06/02/15 07:29 AM

> Speaking of PC-engine, has anyone encountered a problem where Rondo of Blood hangs in
> stage 2 (water section) when run in Mame .162?
>
> https://youtu.be/nMqD4u64XFE?t=2m42s

There's a report on MT already
http://mametesters.org/view.php?id=4950

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

Re: So is MESS ready for the big time ? new [Re: B2K24]
#340935 - 06/02/15 11:40 AM

PCECD softlist was made to load the cart in automatic when specifying the CD-ROM. Funny thing is it doesn't work at all.

Code:

mame64.exe pce -cdrom draculax

Loads game and cartridge, but game doesn't run.

Code:

mame64.exe pce -cart scdsys -cdrom draculax

Loads game and cartridge, then executes the game.

And now that we are talking about bugs I found another:

Code:

mame64.exe genesis -cart1 sk -cart2 sonic2u

For this I used a cartridge that it doesn't exist ("sonic2u"). While something like this would return an error on -cart1, when it comes to -cart2 it proceeds to report it and executes the emulator anyway crashing in the process.

etabeta
Send PM

#340942 - 06/02/15 02:33 PM

> Better yet, let
> MESS detect/find the system card in the ROM folder when the user attempts to fire up
> a CD-ROM?

there was a similar option added when loading from softlist (basically the "-cart cdsys" parameter was silently added without user's intervention), but it has been broken for a year due to some subtle problem in the order of parsing of command line option which nobody has managed to fix yet

a suitable workaround exists, however: just create a pce.ini (or tg16.ini) file before running the emulation and add a line with
Code:

cart scdsys

(or with cdsys if you prefer the older version of the CD-System Card)
at that point, if you specify a cart at command line (or via qmc2) the option in the ini file will be overwritten, but if you launch a CD game without specifying any cart, the CD-System card will be mounted and you'll be able to run the games as you wanted

the only drawback is that if you delete the scdsys.zip (or cdsys.zip) archive from your romsets, MAME could complain about missing files (because the ini file tells the emulator to search for the cart). but as long as you keep the file in one of the rompaths you're fine

etabeta
Send PM

Re: So is MESS ready for the big time ? new [Re: BIOS-D]
#340951 - 06/02/15 03:16 PM

> PCECD softlist was made to load the cart in automatic when specifying the CD-ROM.
> Funny thing is it doesn't work at all.

it's not funny. it's a bug and I think it is logged at MT (maybe inside comments to another bug, I don't remember)

as I mentioned in another post here a few moments ago, the code is supposed to inject the -cart option at command line, but it interferes with some other command line option and the net result is that -cart is ignored. nobody has been able to fix the problem so far, because it is not clear which other options are in conflict with this.

anyway, you can bypass the problem by setting "cart cdsys" in a pce.ini file

> And now that we are talking about bugs I found another:
> mame64.exe genesis -cart1 sk -cart2 sonic2u
> For this I used a cartridge that it doesn't exist ("sonic2u"). While something like
> this would return an error on -cart1, when it comes to -cart2 it proceeds to report
> it and executes the emulator anyway crashing in the process.

This was unreported as well, and it should be fixed in the very latest git tree (as well as in 0.163 at the end of the month)

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Send PM

Re: So is MESS ready for the big time ? new [Re: B2K24]
#340998 - 06/03/15 02:03 AM

> > Speaking of PC-engine, has anyone encountered a problem where Rondo of Blood hangs
> in
> > stage 2 (water section) when run in Mame .162?
> >
> > https://youtu.be/nMqD4u64XFE?t=2m42s
>
> There's a report on MT already
> http://mametesters.org/view.php?id=4950

That report on MT refers to stage 5. The game for me freezes on stage two, which is why I posted that youtube video indicating where it freezes.

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

abelenki
Super Drunk
Reged: 10/20/03
Loc: Perm, Russia
Send PM

#341006 - 06/03/15 06:14 AM

> QMC2. I get the whole faithful to the original hardware behavior philosophy, but the
> bottom line is no matter how many hoops you make a user go through to load a game,
> you're still not physically inserting a real system card/CD-ROM into a real console.
> Why can't there be a global configuration option in QMC2 that lets the user simply
> tell MESS where to look for the system card rom and which one to use. Better yet, let
> a CD-ROM? Same with other systems like Saturn and RAM carts.
>
> Sorry if this comes off like a rant. Consider this post an immature relapse of my
> juvenile MAME .58 days

try my MAME-PCECD-7zip script:

http://mamestuff.lowtrucks.net/Files/Scripts/MAME-PCECD-7zip.zip

details are in readme.

MAME Stuff | MAME favorites | Bubble Bobble Series chart / wiki | PC configuration

abelenki
Super Drunk
Reged: 10/20/03
Loc: Perm, Russia
Send PM

Re: So is MESS ready for the big time ? new [Re: Master O]
#341007 - 06/03/15 06:16 AM

> That report on MT refers to stage 5. The game for me freezes on stage two, which is
> why I posted that youtube video indicating where it freezes.

yes, i experienced that hang, too. i think, it was in 0.160.

i don't know, if it's fixed or not in 0.162.

MAME Stuff | MAME favorites | Bubble Bobble Series chart / wiki | PC configuration

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Send PM

Re: So is MESS ready for the big time ? new [Re: abelenki]
#341038 - 06/03/15 11:38 PM

> > That report on MT refers to stage 5. The game for me freezes on stage two, which is
> > why I posted that youtube video indicating where it freezes.
>
> yes, i experienced that hang, too. i think, it was in 0.160.
>
> i don't know, if it's fixed or not in 0.162.

I tried it on .162 and what you describe still occurred. I'm sure someone on mameworld will report it as a new MT bug.

"Note to Noobs:

C.D.~"

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/28/03
Send PM

Thanks for all the tips guys :) new [Re: B2K24]
#341060 - 06/04/15 12:44 PM

I'll try them out this weekend, if I have time

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
2 registered and 148 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2832