View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

zenbone
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/01/14
Send PM

Existing Wiring question
#340629 - 05/28/15 08:04 PM

hello, sorry if this has been covered before (as tech questions often have). I started work on a Killer Instinct cabinet conversion mame project. gutted everything except the power supply and the button/wiring from the cabinet. I have purchased the iPac board for the USB interface with the computer. My question is do i need to cut the wire harness apart and trace each wire from the buttons or is there a MUCH easier way to do this? I know a little about mame cabinets but this is my first build.

Separate question... can the computer and marquee light be run into the existing power supply or am i better off with the power strip like i normally see?
Thanks for any/all input.

bodger319
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/23/06
Send PM

Re: Existing Wiring question new [Re: zenbone]
#340631 - 05/28/15 08:51 PM

The EASIEST way would be to use a J-PAC rather than an I-PAC.

If you want to stay with the I-PAC, yes you will have to cut into the existing wiring. Rather than cutting all wires and then tracing them back to the buttons, google the JAMMA connection standard and then cut the wires one at a time from the relevant pin on the JAMMA connector and connect it to the I-PAC before moving on to the next one.

Use a power strip for the computer.
Whether to connect the marquee light to the PSU or power strip would depend on what input voltage the light would require and whether the PSU could support all demands.

zenbone
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/01/14
Send PM

Re: Existing Wiring question new [Re: bodger319]
#340632 - 05/28/15 09:08 PM

thanks for the help! probably the easiest would be the jamma connection to the iPac. i don't mind re-wiring but these are just so nicely run and out of the way, felt it would be a shame to cut into them. I have a second one that i will be totally rewiring but this one is seemed a waste to cut them up. thanks again!

I think i will just rip out the old power supply and put a standard plug fluorescent light in the marquee and just use a power strip. Better safe than sorry using an old power supply.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 55 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2220