Frontend Tech + >> Ultimarc
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

BurnPrograde
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/25/15
Send PM

Toggle/Rocker switches. Possible damage to iPac?
#340436 - 05/25/15 04:14 AM

Hi! New User here!

I've always wanted to build an arcade from scratch ever since I worked in my uncle's arcade way back in the 80s (Thanks uncle Mike for making me popular haha

Anyway, before I spent too much money to begin this big project, I wanted to test a smaller project. A Space Simulator Control Board for Kerbal Space Program (one of my favourite modern computer games) and am looking to use the ipac.

So here's my question. I wanted to add a bunch of toggle switches, rocker switches and different looking, non-arcade momentary pushbuttons. Is there a certain amp/volt limit I should avoid when buying these buttons/switches? Is there a certain voltage that will cause damage to the ipac?

bodger319
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/23/06
Send PM

Re: Toggle/Rocker switches. Possible damage to iPac? new [Re: BurnPrograde]
#340449 - 05/25/15 02:15 PM

As long as you connect them according to the I-PAC installation diagram, you will not be applying an external voltage so you will not do damage to the I-PAC.
Operation of the switch is just grounding an input pin, changing it from logic high to logic low
I cannot think of any switch that would not be suitable.
Your main criteria when choosing switches for this application is how many operating cycles they are rated for, ie how long do you want it to last for before it is mechanically worn out and you have to replace it.

BurnPrograde
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/25/15
Send PM

Re: Toggle/Rocker switches. Possible damage to iPac? new [Re: bodger319]
#340467 - 05/26/15 03:23 AM

Wow, thanks very much for the information and the quick reply!

I was looking at some forum topics with hundreds of views and zero replies, and thought it would take a month or two for anyone to reply

Next step is to take the plunge and start ordering parts!

THANKS AGAIN!

Pages: 1

Frontend Tech + >> Ultimarc
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Andy Warne 
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2864