MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Reged: 08/07/05
Send PM

MAME/MESS - Official GLSL shader support?
#339991 - 05/13/15 02:25 PM

I've tried the GLSL shader with the newest MAMEUIFX and I have to say that I'm really impressed with the results!! It's UMBELIEVABLE the quality of this shader, I went back to my good ol' arcade days almost immediately when I saw it for the 1st time.

I have been using HLSL for a couple of months now but I never felt it was 'good enough'... specially when compared to those hardware scanlines we used to have back in those MAME 0.106 days. It's hard to set it up properly, each game needs its own customized configuration, the results vary depending on your screen resolution, forcing you to mess around with the settings again and again, uneven textures/lines and the final results are, at least, questionable. I never trusted the HLSL results but it was better than nothing...until now!

After using GLSL, I have to say that it came to stay IMHO. It's plug'n play, those Timothy Lottes' shaders are AWESOME, and they work with every single game, producing the very same results no matter which resolution you are using or which resolution the game has, and it works perfectly for both horizontal and vertical games. The feeling is that you are using a real CRT monitor! I love it

Now I would like to know if it's going to make its way into MAME soon or not. I really enjoy the MAMEUIFX version and its frontend, but I would like to stay with the regular MAME version together with QMC2.

Mamesick
Troll Lamer
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Italy
Send PM

Re: MAME/MESS - Official GLSL shader support? new [Re: R.Coltrane]
#339992 - 05/13/15 02:31 PM

You should also try the CRT-GEOM shader. It's less demanding resources than the Timothy Lottes' one and easy configurable to your wishes...
More info: http://mame32fx.altervista.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=184

IMHO, MAME should switch to OpenGL by default, even on Windows builds. Though at the moment there's a problem with -waitvsync and -syncrefresh options...

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

#339998 - 05/13/15 05:49 PM

You might be glad to know that a huge number of issues with HLSL were recently fixed and a huge number of additions were made by uman's friend, Jezza, and you can try the results if you compile the latest source at Github. So all of the issues you describe are, to be honest, no longer true.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

Re: MAME/MESS - Official GLSL shader support? new [Re: Mamesick]
#339999 - 05/13/15 05:51 PM

> IMHO, MAME should switch to OpenGL by default, even on Windows builds.

IMHO, you should pay more attention to what gets checked into Git, or at least not slag off on HLSL without trying the latest changes. uman and Jezza backed up their complaints with a patch that actually fixed what they were complaining about, what's your excuse?

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#340000 - 05/13/15 06:17 PM

> Now I would like to know if it's going to make its way into MAME soon or not. I
> really enjoy the MAMEUIFX version and its frontend, but I would like to stay with the
> regular MAME version together with QMC2.

It's already currently possible to use Timothy Lottes' shaders with official MAME if that's what you're after. All that's needed is to set the correct options/paths in your mame.ini and copy over the required files.

The downside to using Lottes shaders seems to be that it's a lot more resource hungry than HLSL. Also, there's no sliders, so to make changes you have to alter the files themselves and then relaunch the emulator to see the results.

Roger see the post HERE then you can decide and test what you like better

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Reged: 08/07/05
Send PM

Re: MAME/MESS - Official GLSL shader support? new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#340001 - 05/13/15 06:25 PM

> You might be glad to know that a huge number of issues with HLSL were recently fixed
> and a huge number of additions were made by uman's friend, Jezza, and you can try the
> results if you compile the latest source at Github. So all of the issues you describe
> are, to be honest, no longer true.

I'll give it a try, afterall I recognize and respect the amount of effort made by the developers to build those HLSL shaders. And please don't get me wrong, I'm not saying "kill that technology because now we have a better one".

But since both technologies are pretty good (GLSL being my favorite at the moment), why can't we have both of them enabled in the compiler/official build, so users would be free to select which shader pleases them the most right off the bat? If GLSL is fully working now, I don't understand why devs are keeping it disabled and not available in official builds.

Edited by Roger Coltrane (05/13/15 06:29 PM)

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

#340003 - 05/13/15 07:18 PM

> But since both technologies are pretty good (GLSL being my favorite at the moment),
> why can't we have both of them enabled in the compiler/official build, so users would
> be free to select which shader pleases them the most right off the bat? If GLSL is
> fully working now, I don't understand why devs are keeping it disabled and not
> available in official builds.

Both of them are enabled in the official build as far as I know. -video opengl, I believe.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#340004 - 05/13/15 07:22 PM

> > But since both technologies are pretty good (GLSL being my favorite at the moment),
> > why can't we have both of them enabled in the compiler/official build, so users
> would
> > be free to select which shader pleases them the most right off the bat? If GLSL is
> > fully working now, I don't understand why devs are keeping it disabled and not
> > available in official builds.
>
> Both of them are enabled in the official build as far as I know. -video opengl, I
> believe.

I _guess_ what he's requesting is why can't GLSL shaders be packaged with MAME/MESS...

- Stiletto

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: MAME/MESS - Official GLSL shader support? new [Re: Stiletto]
#340005 - 05/13/15 07:25 PM

> I _guess_ what he's requesting is why can't GLSL shaders be packaged with
> MAME/MESS...

The shaders are GPL, and we are not yet ready to ship stuff with standard F/OSS licenses.

Floob
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/01/08
Loc: UK
Send PM

Re: MAME/MESS - Official GLSL shader support? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#340009 - 05/13/15 10:21 PM

Do you think HLSL will be on the way out?

https://www.reddit.com/r/MAME/comments/35pwpn/looks_like_hlsl_in_mame_was_just_significantly/

B2K24
Send PM

Re: MAME/MESS - Official GLSL shader support? new [Re: Floob]
#340015 - 05/14/15 03:02 AM

> Do you think HLSL will be on the way out?
>
> https://www.reddit.com/r/MAME/comments/35pwpn/looks_like_hlsl_in_mame_was_just_significantly/

HLSL is definitely not on the way out.

I don't know if I have the wrong files or I'm not doing something correct, but I can no longer get any results I'm happy with using Lottes shaders and opengl.

HLSL and it's versatility seems to be the best option right now.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

#340020 - 05/14/15 07:24 AM

Are you serious? The link you posted lists a tremendous amount of improvements to the HLSL system. In what universe does that imply it's "on the way out"?

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

#340022 - 05/14/15 08:04 AM

>
> https://www.reddit.com/r/MAME/comments/35pwpn/looks_like_hlsl_in_mame_was_just_significantly/

They are not gonna to remove it.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

Mamesick
Troll Lamer
Send PM

#340023 - 05/14/15 08:11 AM

> > IMHO, MAME should switch to OpenGL by default, even on Windows builds.
>
> IMHO, you should pay more attention to what gets checked into Git, or at least not
> slag off on HLSL without trying the latest changes. uman and Jezza backed up their
> complaints with a patch that actually fixed what they were complaining about, what's
> your excuse?

My excuse is that you're so stupid that you don't need any answer. You should pay more attention to MAMEUIFX whatsnew because I've been the *first* person who supported in the *first* place Jezze HLSL code *before* it was included in official MAME! Fuck off, you're too stupid for my IQ.

http://mame32fx.altervista.org/home.htm

Edited by Mamesick (05/14/15 08:12 AM)

B2K24
Send PM

#340024 - 05/14/15 09:16 AM

> My excuse is that you're so stupid that you don't need any answer. You should pay
> more attention to MAMEUIFX whatsnew because I've been the *first* person who
> supported in the *first* place Jezze HLSL code *before* it was included in official
> MAME! Fuck off, you're too stupid for my IQ.
>
> http://mame32fx.altervista.org/home.htm

Now if Moogly didn't write the original code at the first place you wouldn't have any firsts or anything to support.

That being said, please calm down!

Mamesick
Troll Lamer
Send PM

Re: MAME/MESS - Official GLSL shader support? new [Re: B2K24]
#340026 - 05/14/15 10:12 AM

> > My excuse is that you're so stupid that you don't need any answer. You should pay
> > more attention to MAMEUIFX whatsnew because I've been the *first* person who
> > supported in the *first* place Jezze HLSL code *before* it was included in official
> > MAME! Fuck off, you're too stupid for my IQ.
> >
> > http://mame32fx.altervista.org/home.htm
>
> Now if Moogly didn't write the original code at the first place you wouldn't have any
> firsts or anything to support.
>
> That being said, please calm down!

I'm calm. He should stop to act like he has his head plugged into his asshole. I never used HLSL frequently. I still don't use it now that it has been improved and fixed. I prefer OpenGL GLSL shaders mainly because my old PC suffers with HLSL and it's 100% solid speed with the 99% of games I usually play with GLSL. Stop. It's still my opinion that a project that wants to become completely multi-platform and portable on every system/OS should use the better video renderer available. This maybe makes Moogly unhappy, it's not my problem.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

#340027 - 05/14/15 11:50 AM

> My excuse is that you're so stupid that you don't need any answer.

> Fuck off, you're too stupid for my IQ.

Mamesick
Troll Lamer
Send PM

#340029 - 05/14/15 01:11 PM Attachment: 358_LECCA SPIRALE MAXI.jpg 45 KB (0 downloads)

I'm really sad I cannot satisfy your request of kissing your ass. Here's my gift for you:

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#340038 - 05/14/15 08:06 PM

>

I... I don't even see how "HLSL got like 30 fixes and enhancements" means "they're getting rid of HLSL".

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

I think he meant it as, 'do you think it's gonna now?' (nt) new [Re: Floob]
#340255 - 05/20/15 09:14 PM

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 131 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3245