Pages: 1

Mika Hutton
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/21/15
Send PM

Noob trying to get the first rom running
#339165 - 04/21/15 06:48 PM

Hello, all!

I'm hoping this isn't a dumb question, I've tried searching these forums and good old Google, but haven't found a solution just yet. Basically, in a fit of jealousy after seeing a coworker's machine, I bought an xarcade tankstick, and I'm trying to get a rom up and running before it arrives. A little research convinced me that Mame was probably what I wanted, software wise, and I headed over to the official site and grabbed the emulator, and a couple of the roms that they offered there with the copyright holder's permissions. I went through the instructions, and I thought I had everything set up right, but aparently not. After a little more searching, I installed MameUIFX, which demonstrates the same problem.

I'm able to get the Mame interface up and running every time, and I can select my game, and I think it's loading the rom. Whatever it's doing, I get to that copyright screen that asks me to confirm that I have permission to use the rom by either typing "OK" or moving a joystick left then right. It also says to hit escape if I don't have permission. Fine, I type OK, nothing happens. Tried arrow keys and mouse in a left right motion, nothing. Escape does nothing, the program just hangs there.

When I tried with MameUIFX, same effect. When I run in windowed mode, sometimes it does the same thing, sometimes it doesn't display the copyright screen at all, but rather shows general game info and hangs there. It's the same type of grey box on a black background screen, and it happens with every rom I've tried.

Several google searches and a bit of frustration later, I've tried running everything as an administrator, I've tried compatibility modes, but I'm beginning to be convinced that I've set something up wrong.

Could anyone point me in the right direction? Does hanging in this particular spot indicate what I've done wrong? If it helps, I'm running on Windows 7, with reasonably good hardware.

Thanks, all! Any help is highly appreciated!

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: Noob trying to get the first rom running new [Re: Mika Hutton]
#339167 - 04/21/15 07:44 PM

> Hello, all!
>
> I'm hoping this isn't a dumb question, I've tried searching these forums and good old
> Google, but haven't found a solution just yet. Basically, in a fit of jealousy after
> seeing a coworker's machine, I bought an xarcade tankstick, and I'm trying to get a
> rom up and running before it arrives. A little research convinced me that Mame was
> probably what I wanted, software wise, and I headed over to the official site and
> grabbed the emulator, and a couple of the roms that they offered there with the
> copyright holder's permissions. I went through the instructions, and I thought I had
> everything set up right, but aparently not. After a little more searching, I
> installed MameUIFX, which demonstrates the same problem.
>
> I'm able to get the Mame interface up and running every time, and I can select my
> game, and I think it's loading the rom. Whatever it's doing, I get to that copyright
> screen that asks me to confirm that I have permission to use the rom by either typing
> "OK" or moving a joystick left then right. It also says to hit escape if I don't have
> permission. Fine, I type OK, nothing happens. Tried arrow keys and mouse in a left
> right motion, nothing. Escape does nothing, the program just hangs there.
>
> When I tried with MameUIFX, same effect. When I run in windowed mode, sometimes it
> does the same thing, sometimes it doesn't display the copyright screen at all, but
> rather shows general game info and hangs there. It's the same type of grey box on a
> black background screen, and it happens with every rom I've tried.
>
> Several google searches and a bit of frustration later, I've tried running everything
> as an administrator, I've tried compatibility modes, but I'm beginning to be
> convinced that I've set something up wrong.
>
> Could anyone point me in the right direction? Does hanging in this particular spot
> indicate what I've done wrong? If it helps, I'm running on Windows 7, with reasonably
> good hardware.
>
> Thanks, all! Any help is highly appreciated!

First of all, glad to see another person giving MAME a spin!

Second of all, what sort of specs does your computer have? Ideally what we're looking for is along the lines of the CPU manufacturer (Intel/AMD), CPU type (P4/Core 2 Duo/i3/i5/i7) and the speed, as well as the amount of RAM you have, and what graphics card you're using.

Third of all, what game are you trying to run? Some of the games that are recognized by MAME do not run correctly if at all, so I'd like to rule that out first before I get to any more in-depth answers.

This is going to sound dumb, but have you installed the latest drivers for DirectX 9? In princple it shouldn't affect your experience, but it might be a good thing to check, and in that case it's my mistake to answer for.

Additionally, have you tried the stock command-line version of MAME from http://www.mamedev.org/ ? If not, I'm happy to give you a quick run-down of how to run it, I'm just not sure of your level of technical expertise based on your post.

Last but not least, just to confirm, I interpret your post as saying that the emulator hangs after you type "OK" or wiggle your joystick left/right in order to pass the relevant warning and/or copyright screens. Is this correct? Are you able to exit the emulator by pressing the Escape key on your keyboard, or do you have to force it to quit using the Windows Task Manager?

I have to say, I appreciate seeing someone who makes a post as clear and as well-written as yours right from the get-go, so I'm sure we (or I, maybe) will be able to get you up and running in no time.

Mika Hutton
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Noob trying to get the first rom running new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#339169 - 04/21/15 08:36 PM

Yikes! Questions! Lol, I've tried on two different machines, both running Windows 7. One is a stock Lenovo Thinkpad T410, but the one that I'd really like to run it on is a desktop running an intel processor, and I'm trying to remember here, but I think it's a quad core 2.6. Not 100% sure on that until I can get home and look it up though. It's definitely running 8gb ram. On board graphics. I'll get more details when I make it home

So far for games, I've tried starfire, top gunner, and side track, obtained from Maamedev.org, and whatever version of pong came installed with mameuifx.

I started out with the stock command line mame, then tried with Mala, then tried the mameuifx, same results with each.

I haven't tried directx drivers yet, honestly never occurred to me. That'll be my first step this evening. Can't hurt to try

It's hard to say for sure, but I think that things are hanging before I type ok. No response to any input, including esc. I've been quitting via task manager, as nothing else will respond to any sort of input.

Let's see, did I miss any questions here? Lol let me know of I did. Also, this time I'm on my phone at lunch, so please excuse any typos or stupid autocorrections.

Thanks again, I REALLY appreciate the help!

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Reged: 07/13/10
Loc: Macedonia,Veles
Send PM

#339170 - 04/21/15 09:02 PM

> Yikes! Questions! Lol, I've tried on two different machines, both running Windows 7.
> One is a stock Lenovo Thinkpad T410, but the one that I'd really like to run it on is
> a desktop running an intel processor, and I'm trying to remember here, but I think
> it's a quad core 2.6. Not 100% sure on that until I can get home and look it up
> though. It's definitely running 8gb ram. On board graphics. I'll get more details
> when I make it home
>
> So far for games, I've tried starfire, top gunner, and side track, obtained from
> Maamedev.org, and whatever version of pong came installed with mameuifx.
>
> I started out with the stock command line mame, then tried with Mala, then tried the
> mameuifx, same results with each.
>
> I haven't tried directx drivers yet, honestly never occurred to me. That'll be my
> first step this evening. Can't hurt to try
>
> It's hard to say for sure, but I think that things are hanging before I type ok. No
> response to any input, including esc. I've been quitting via task manager, as nothing
> else will respond to any sort of input.
>
> Let's see, did I miss any questions here? Lol let me know of I did. Also, this time
> I'm on my phone at lunch, so please excuse any typos or stupid autocorrections.
>
> Thanks again, I REALLY appreciate the help!

...maybe, just maybe.
Also do U have 32 or 64 bit OS ?

Mika Hutton
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Noob trying to get the first rom running new [Re: CTOJAH]
#339171 - 04/21/15 09:06 PM

64 bit. Before you asked I'd have been 1000% sure that I'd installed the 64 bit version of stock mame, but now in doubting myself, lol.

I am completely certain that I installed the 64 bit version of mameuifx, however.

Mamesick
Troll Lamer
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Italy
Send PM

#339173 - 04/21/15 09:31 PM

I would try to check if you have DirectX 9 installed. They don't come by default with Windows 7 64-bit. There was a link somewhere by Microsoft but I don't recall it now. Try Google "DirectX 9.0 End User Runtime" or something similar.

EDIT: ok, here it is: https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=35

Edited by Mamesick (04/21/15 09:34 PM)

Mika Hutton
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Noob trying to get the first rom running new [Re: Mamesick]
#339180 - 04/22/15 02:00 AM

You guys ROCK!! Direct X did turn out to be the problem. Re-installed, and I can now get past the copyright screens OK still doesn't work, but up arrow does for whatever reason. Hey, I'm not going to complain about success.

Now I'm able to get into the games, but not play. Tried Pong and Star Fire, both load up beautifully. Star Fire loads up to an attract screen, I see the logo, then stars and tie fighters coming at my face (yikes!), and a prompt to insert a coin. Pong loads straight up to the game, paddles at the top and ball bouncing. Neither will let me play.

The tankstick hasn't arrived yet, so I'm trying with the keyboard, and I should be able to play with just the keyboard right? Neither seems to be liking the keyboard input. I have a feeling that it's not so much an issue of the rom not getting the input, but rather that something's not mapped right. I'm not sure what key would correspond to depositing a coin, but I assumed that arrows would be the way to go with Pong. Either way, I tried every key on the keyboard, and nothing seemed to respond. I looked through the options > default game options > Controller mapping, and everything is mapped to keyboard, but I don't see where to map which key corresponds to what type of joystick maneuver, or whatever.

I have this feeling in the back of my head like I'm staring straight past something completely obvious... Anyone know what that is?

Thanks again, you guys are awesome!

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#339182 - 04/22/15 02:46 AM

Useful defaults to know for most games:

• 5=first coin, 6=second coin, etc.
  • 1=1P start, 2=2P start, etc.
  • ctrl=first button, alt=second button, space=third button, left shift=fourth button
  • P=pause

For pong you'll need to coin up with 5, then left/right should move player 1's paddle.

Note that rawinput can behave strangely for some keyboards. For example with my JIS keyboard, MAME doesn't recognise when the ctrl key is released, so once you push it, MAME thinks it's held down until you exit. (Some other games, e.g. Limbo, also exhibit this behaviour.)

Mika Hutton
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Noob trying to get the first rom running new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#339183 - 04/22/15 02:52 AM

Ahh ha! That should be helpful! Are we talking number row keys or the 10 key ones?

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#339188 - 04/22/15 04:40 AM

> Ahh ha! That should be helpful! Are we talking number row keys or the 10 key ones?

Numbers on the main keyboard default to start buttons (1-4) and coins (5-8).

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 678 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1658