Frontend Tech + >> Ultimarc
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Andy S
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/29/15
Send PM

New version 0.2 of Linux UltraStik map upload tool now available
#338302 - 03/29/15 06:37 AM

Not sure how widely this has been disseminated, but evidently Ultimarc is making newer U360's with revised firmware which handles things in Linux much better.

1) USB PID is changed from 050x to 051x (where x is the "Player Number" of the joystick set by the Windows utility.)

2) The technique for uploading the map information to the stick, or for initiating a player ID change, has changed from USB control messages to an HID output report.

3) More importantly, the format of the joystick input reports has been modified to not make the standard Linux HID parser unhappy. Some had noticed that "Up" and "Left" didn't work with certain maps. This is because the standard HID driver saw the values reported by the stick as being outside the expected boundaries and dropped the info. This is no longer the case with the new firmware, which is enormously helpful because manually patching the kernel HID driver to eliminate the check is no longer required.

In order to get this firmware update I had to send my U360's control board back to Andy at Ultimarc for the update. I'm assured that future firmware updates, if any, are user-flashable once this process has been completed.

Of course once I had this done, the Al3ph (Al Crate) utility mentioned on the Ultimarc site for Linux users no longer worked with the stick. I took it on myself to somewhat extensively modify the existing 0.1.3 version of the utility to handle either the older or the newer map upload technique, depending on what PID ID it finds on the stick. Thank you very much to Andy for some of the tips provided to get this working.

To download this new version, and patched versions of the somewhat out of date dependencies it has (libhid, etc.), you can get the source from my github area: https://github.com/andrewsil1/UltrastikCmd

If you're a Linux user but you do not have a stick with this firmware, there is no particular need to update the utility, but if you do, then you'll probably want this. Works great for those Raspberry Pi builds.

Enjoy.
Andy S. (Not Andy Warne. :-))

Edited by Andy S (03/29/15 06:38 AM)

dizzlebomb
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/22/20
Send PM

Re: New version 0.2 of Linux UltraStik map upload tool now available new [Re: Andy S]
#386811 - 06/23/20 06:14 PM

Hi Andy,

I'm attempting to setup one of my two UltraStik360's that I purchased close to when they first came out, on a new Retropie setup and be able to update the joystick mappings per rom in whatever way possible.

gcc (Raspbian 8.3.0-6+rpi1) 8.3.0

I have read a few things about the new firmware for the sticks but am still unclear if I somehow need that firmware update, and whether I'd need to send my stick(s) back to Andy W. for that as you once did, or if I don't need to bother with that at all.

I have gone down a few routes, also looking into RGBCommander to do the map switching but upon downloading that saw that it only works with Rev2 of the UltraStik360 and that is almost surely not what I have.

As it stands, I am attempting to install UltrastikCmd-master, everything goes fine with libusb-1.0.19 and libusb-compat-0.1.5, but upon running 'sudo make' for libhid-0.2.16, I see this error >>

make[1]: Entering directory '/etc/UltrastikCmd-master/libhid-0.2.16/src'
if /bin/bash ../libtool --tag=CC --mode=compile gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -DNDEBUG -fPIC -I../include -I../hidparser -I/usr/local/include -O2 -Wall -W -Werror -MT hid_opening.lo -MD -MP -MF ".deps/hid_opening.Tpo" -c -o hid_opening.lo hid_opening.c; \
then mv -f ".deps/hid_opening.Tpo" ".deps/hid_opening.Plo"; else rm -f ".deps/hid_opening.Tpo"; exit 1; fi
gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -DNDEBUG -fPIC -I../include -I../hidparser -I/usr/local/include -O2 -Wall -W -Werror -MT hid_opening.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/hid_opening.Tpo -c hid_opening.c -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/hid_opening.o
hid_opening.c: In function 'hid_get_usb_handle':
hid_opening.c:79:47: error: '%s' directive output may be truncated writing up to 4096 bytes into a region of size 32 [-Werror=format-truncation=]
snprintf(hidif->id, sizeof(hidif->id), "%s/%s[%d]",
^~
hid_opening.c:79:7: note: 'snprintf' output between 5 and 8207 bytes into a destination of size 32
snprintf(hidif->id, sizeof(hidif->id), "%s/%s[%d]",
^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
usbbus->dirname, usbdev->filename, hidif->interface);
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
cc1: all warnings being treated as errors
make[1]: *** [Makefile:427: hid_opening.lo] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/etc/UltrastikCmd-master/libhid-0.2.16/src'
make: *** [Makefile:394: install-recursive] Error 1

I guess I'm just wondering what avenue is best for me to pursue. I don't know whether to talk to Andy W. about sending the stick(s) back for the firmware update, or how to go about resolving this error for my current gcc from the newest RetroPie image I'm setup with.

Do you have any advice regarding this situation?

Thanks!
Dan

Vagabondivan
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/21/21
Send PM

Re: New version 0.2 of Linux UltraStik map upload tool now available new [Re: dizzlebomb]
#389960 - 02/21/21 01:15 PM

Dear Dan,

maybe you have already found out how to solve it but if you didn't, you can try with this while configuring libhid-0.2.16:

./configure --disable-warnings

I had the same issue and this solved it.

I have been suggested to use libhidapi instead of libhid but I couldn't figure out how to do it since I am not an expert programmer and I get stuck on the way.

If you would like to try, follow this link https://github.com/katie-snow/Ultimarc-linux

Ivan

Pages: 1

Frontend Tech + >> Ultimarc
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Andy Warne 
0 registered and 36 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 4108