View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

So I saw Watchmen.....
#337992 - 03/23/15 11:35 PM

I vaguely remember this comic, but I never collected DC, and was by then skeptical anyway of anything American, and was moving into manga (in particular Xenon and Appleseed - didn't have money for nothin else), but I remember the store dude saying it was pretty adult.

The movie was, and in that regard I liked it. I didn't actually need to see some of the carnage, but obviously that was part of the deal. And Jackie Earl Haley, just as he was a tough little fuck in the Bad News Bears, did a great Rorschach. He was my favorite character....though I did think Night Owl was a handsome and nice dude.

Of course, none of it makes sense. First off, and starting small, they would've used Manahatten in Korea. In which case Vietnam probably wouldn'tve happened. And they would've done more comprehensive testing to ensure M could've just disappeared all the other countries' nukes...but if Manhattan was really smart, he would've done that anyways. Duh.

Not to mention that if he can be anywhere, in multiplicity, he could've put a partial in every country, and generated power from his very being - or at least one, and power distributed to the world. Free of course. Everything's solved. Actually, if he'd been rea-lly smart, he would've gotten rid of all industry, and just conjured up bio-analog tech that would only do what he wanted, so everyone could sit back and chill.

Not also to mention that of course M could change human nature. It's called genetic engineering.....

Anyways. The two things that made me wonder the most were:

- how did the others get powers?...cos they obviously have some...

- and why did the Comedian shoot Kennedy?...and why did Manhattan not know about it??

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: So I saw Watchmen..... new [Re: Traso]
#338021 - 03/24/15 11:23 PM

I made an error. I thought Manhattan was 'created' in '49, but now I recall it was '59. So, just in time for Vietnam - and they wouldn'tve waited to use him.

Anyways, I guess since Wiki doesn't have any more info on my questions, then there aren't any answers.....

JimmyU
Bustin' Heads
Reged: 12/11/07
Send PM

#338027 - 03/25/15 02:59 AM

None of the other heroes had powers. They were just highly skilled vigilantes kind of like Batman. The Comedian killed JFK because he was a government assassin and he was ordered to kill him. It's possible Dr. Manhattan knew about and just didn't care.

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

Re: So I saw Watchmen..... new [Re: JimmyU]
#338030 - 03/25/15 03:19 AM Attachment: dr._manhattan.jpg 7 KB (0 downloads)

Dr. Manhattan was kind of a prick some of the time...

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: So I saw Watchmen..... new [Re: Bad A Billy]
#338074 - 03/25/15 10:30 PM

> None of the other heroes had powers. They were just highly skilled vigilantes kind of like Batman.

Um, no. Rorschach's mask is some kind of tech. Also, all of them have to be stronger and tougher than the average Mike Tyson. Tyson might be able to punch through stuff, but he'd likely break his hand. At least he'd have abrasions.

Then there's Ozymandias. His leaping in the Alaskan site implied flight. Plus he caught a bullet.

Apparently, as part of the 'cliche', their powers weren't explained.

> > The Comedian killed JFK because he was a government assassin and he was ordered to kill him. It's possible Dr. Manhattan knew about and just didn't care.

Yeah, I thought of those simplicities. Okay.

> Dr. Manhattan was kind of a prick some of the time...

As far as Moore could write a character like Manhattan, I understand such an entity. I identify. But as homeboy was born in '29, and obviously hadn't that much experience, he didn't know how to integrate it and all.

Even more so, while he saw order, he didn't understand it.

Renegade
Got No Where Else to Go
Reged: 10/01/03
Send PM

#338197 - 03/27/15 12:25 AM

Manhatten didnt really seem to care much about the human race anyway. It seemed that most his actions to help humans was done either as a favor or in a way that may help him.

Its been awhile since i watched it but when he leaves the earth and the gal goes to see him it seems he could really care less about humanity...

Of course in his shoes, or lack there of as he is usually nude, i probably wouldnt care either....

Only here to annoy...

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: So I saw Watchmen..... new [Re: Renegade]
#338260 - 03/27/15 10:45 PM

> Manhatten didnt really seem to care much about the human race anyway. It seemed that most his actions to help humans was done either as a favor or in a way that may help him. Its been awhile since i watched it but when he leaves the earth and the gal goes to see him it seems he could really care less about humanity... Of course in his shoes, or lack there of as he is usually nude, i probably wouldnt care either....

He got lost in his perception. He lost pleasure. I doubt anything could've 'helped' him; he did various things because he had no reason not to. But a simple, 'why not?' would've been the answer to help humanity. Really help them. And that's where order comes in.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

#338276 - 03/28/15 06:22 AM

> > None of the other heroes had powers. They were just highly skilled vigilantes kind
> of like Batman.
>
> Um, no. Rorschach's mask is some kind of tech. Also, all of them have to be stronger
> and tougher than the average Mike Tyson. Tyson might be able to punch through stuff,
> but he'd likely break his hand. At least he'd have abrasions.

Nope. Rorschach's mask is just a mask made out of some special fabric that was used for a dress, but the intended owner hated it, so he took the fabric and made a mask out of it.

> Then there's Ozymandias. His leaping in the Alaskan site implied flight. Plus he
> caught a bullet.
>
> Apparently, as part of the 'cliche', their powers weren't explained.

The only person that had confirmed powers was Dr. Manhattan.

Ozymandias was the smartest and strongest person in the world. Peak human ability. A genius in everything he set his mind to. I guess that could be considered a superpower.

None of the other people shown in the comic or the movie had powers, they were all costumed adventurers / criminals with gadgets, special skills, or just a specific shtick.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: So I saw Watchmen..... new [Re: Foxhack]
#338369 - 03/30/15 10:32 PM

> Nope. Rorschach's mask is just a mask made out of some special fabric that was used for a dress, but the intended owner hated it, so he took the fabric and made a mask out of it.

> The only person that had confirmed powers was Dr. Manhattan.

> Ozymandias was the smartest and strongest person in the world. Peak human ability. A genius in everything he set his mind to. I guess that could be considered a superpower.

> None of the other people shown in the comic or the movie had powers, they were all costumed adventurers / criminals with gadgets, special skills, or just a specific shtick.

Aummm, in the movie at least, Rorschach's 'face' changes all the time, apparently depending on his mood.

Like I said about Ozymandias, he almost flew and he caught a bullet. Simple physics on the latter requires something extroadinary.

Anyways, apparently the movie took liberties, or/and it and the comic were sensationalized....but even back then, reading that I would've been all, 'no, that doesn't work, they need some powers to do that'.

Ozy wasn't that smart. Jeez, it's so much less effort to just run the machines and give power to everyone, than create this massive hoax that Manhattan 'attacked' everyone....which just doesn't make sense anyways.....why would he bother using tech, when he can just wish stuff into oblivion? And why do that when humans are gonna do it worse?

Also, if Ozy could buy out Iaccoca and those fucks three times over, why is he even talking to them. Scifi, a bad practice.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

#338372 - 03/31/15 12:42 AM

> Aummm, in the movie at least, Rorschach's 'face' changes all the time, apparently
> depending on his mood.

The fabric apparently changed because of the heat. So I imagine getting pissed would cause it to change, heh.

> Like I said about Ozymandias, he almost flew and he caught a bullet. Simple physics
> on the latter requires something extroadinary.
>
> Anyways, apparently the movie took liberties, or/and it and the comic were
> sensationalized....but even back then, reading that I would've been all, 'no, that
> doesn't work, they need some powers to do that'.
>
> Ozy wasn't that smart. Jeez, it's so much less effort to just run the machines and
> give power to everyone, than create this massive hoax that Manhattan 'attacked'
> everyone....which just doesn't make sense anyways.....why would he bother using tech,
> when he can just wish stuff into oblivion? And why do that when humans are gonna do
> it worse?
>
> Also, if Ozy could buy out Iaccoca and those fucks three times over, why is he even
> talking to them. Scifi, a bad practice.

Just because he's the smartest person in the world, it doesn't mean he knows how to use those smarts. That was part of the point of his story. In the end he's left wondering if what he did was worth it, if it would actually change things... or if he started something much worse. He was naive about things.

Of course what he did and his plans won't make sense to us, because we're much more grounded in reality than he is. (In theory, anyway.)

JWJr
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/15/04
Send PM

#338424 - 03/31/15 09:15 PM

> Ozy wasn't that smart. Jeez, it's so much less effort to just run the machines and
> give power to everyone, than create this massive hoax that Manhattan 'attacked'
> everyone....which just doesn't make sense anyways.....why would he bother using tech,
> when he can just wish stuff into oblivion?

Of all the liberties the movie took, I always thought that was the worst. -JW

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: So I saw Watchmen..... new [Re: JWJr]
#338530 - 04/03/15 02:23 AM

> > Ozy wasn't that smart. Jeez, it's so much less effort to just run the machines and give power to everyone, than create this massive hoax that Manhattan 'attacked everyone....which just doesn't make sense anyways.....why would he bother using tech, when he can just wish stuff into oblivion?

> Of all the liberties the movie took, I always thought that was the worst. -JW

I dunno, the alien invasion thing was pretty dumb.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 261 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1839