View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Antny
Lurker
Reged: 10/10/03
Send PM

While we are at it. Free icon maker?
#337936 - 03/21/15 01:52 AM

I tried downloading the one from CNET. Antivirus flags it as malware. Any suggestions?

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: While we are at it. Free icon maker? new [Re: Antny]
#337942 - 03/21/15 03:53 AM

Man up and get Adobe CC photography edition. For only $10/month you get Photoshop and Lightroom. Photoshop actually is better than any of the competition. And the pricing really is a steal.

Pi
Allergic to life
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Room 101
Send PM

#337946 - 03/21/15 01:35 PM

> I tried downloading the one from CNET. Antivirus flags it as malware. Any
> suggestions?

Try this one:
http://greenfishsoftware.blogspot.hu/2012/07/greenfish-icon-editor-pro.html

And please tell us back your experience with it, I'd like to hear. I've had it around for some time but never had time or opportunity to test it.

Another option is using any other program to create the images (GIMP or Inkscape are both great for this purpose). And then build a multiresolution ICO with this:
http://www.freeicoconverter.com/

It's free and it has both desktop version and online service.

Usually I create my icons in Inkscape. It has several snapping modes for paths, like snapping inside, middle or outside, which helps in design and makes a final result look pretty good even in ridiculously small sizes like 16x16.

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.
I can't get it right / Get it right / Since I met you...

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Send PM

Re: While we are at it. Free icon maker? new [Re: Pi]
#337947 - 03/21/15 01:44 PM

> (GIMP or Inkscape are both great for this purpose)

GIMP is terrible software. Mentioning it in the same sentence as Inkscape is insulting to Inkscape.

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Send PM

#337953 - 03/21/15 09:26 PM

> I tried downloading the one from CNET. Antivirus flags it as malware. Any
> suggestions?

I used to use AX-Icons way back in the day. Don't Windows versions this side of XP recognise PNG files as icons? Windows XP is stuck with renamed BMP files if you can't find a suitable icon editor (note that XP and earlier tend to show one color as transparent when a BMP is used as an icon, so it might not show up correctly).

Pi
Allergic to life
Send PM

Re: While we are at it. Free icon maker? new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#337958 - 03/22/15 01:43 AM

> > (GIMP or Inkscape are both great for this purpose)
>
> GIMP is terrible software. Mentioning it in the same sentence as Inkscape is
> insulting to Inkscape.

Inkscape is great, specially since the last release 0.91 where lots of experimental stuff became production-level stuff and was merged into the main trunk. But the last versions of GIMP with GEGL and the new 16-bit modes and plugin fameworks are also great. Some unstabilities have been ironed out in the latest sub-sub versions, and the latest one which has been there for a month or so, with official 64-bit build, is rock solid in my system. Best GIMP so far, and I use it every day.

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.

Antny
Lurker
Reged: 10/10/03
Send PM

Re: While we are at it. Free icon maker? new [Re: Pi]
#337959 - 03/22/15 06:20 AM

Tried Green fish version. it's pretty straight forward. Extremely limited for what I was looking for.

The free on line converter is simple. I create the image with PSP and convert it. Pretty simple. Thanks for everyone's input.

I have a problem though...

I created an icon for "berzerk". It had a black background and the image wasn't centered.

I deleted it. I then created a new version of the "berzerk" icon. I save it to any folder and it changes back to the original image I just deleted. What am I missing?

If I alter the image name (say berzerk3) it will convert back to the "fixed" image. Change it back to "berzerk" and it's back to crappy one.

Pi
Allergic to life
Send PM

#337964 - 03/22/15 01:36 PM

> Tried Green fish version. it's pretty straight forward. Extremely limited for what I
> was looking for.
>
> The free on line converter is simple. I create the image with PSP and convert it.
> Pretty simple. Thanks for everyone's input.
>
> I have a problem though...
>
> I created an icon for "berzerk". It had a black background and the image wasn't
> centered.
>
> I deleted it. I then created a new version of the "berzerk" icon. I save it to any
> folder and it changes back to the original image I just deleted. What am I missing?
>
> If I alter the image name (say berzerk3) it will convert back to the "fixed" image.
> Change it back to "berzerk" and it's back to crappy one.

Maybe it's just rebuilding the icon cache. There are several tools and methods to do it, google it like "windows 7 rebuild icon cache" and you'll find tons of resources.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 320 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1484