MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

dman777
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/06/13
Send PM

Mame - Windows or Rasberry Pi 2 PiPlay(AdvanceMAME & MAME4ALL)?
#337809 - 03/18/15 06:46 AM

I really want a raspberry pi 2. The main reason is for Mame. Would the version for raspberry pi(PiPlay which uses AdvanceMAME & MAME4ALL) be significantly not as good as the Windows version of Mame? What would I be missing with the non Windows version?

Edited by dman777 (03/18/15 06:47 AM)

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Re: Mame - Windows or Rasberry Pi 2 PiPlay(AdvanceMAME & MAME4ALL)? new [Re: dman777]
#337810 - 03/18/15 07:11 AM

> I really want a raspberry pi 2. The main reason is for Mame. Would the version for
> raspberry pi(PiPlay which uses AdvanceMAME & MAME4ALL) be significantly not as good
> as the Windows version of Mame? What would I be missing with the non Windows version?

Official MAME/MESS for Windows/Linux/Apple. Made from the Official MAME source. No hacks. No BS. Thumbs up.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Mame - Windows or Rasberry Pi 2 PiPlay(AdvanceMAME & MAME4ALL)? new [Re: dman777]
#337816 - 03/18/15 04:39 PM

> I really want a raspberry pi 2. The main reason is for Mame. Would the version for
> raspberry pi(PiPlay which uses AdvanceMAME & MAME4ALL) be significantly not as good
> as the Windows version of Mame? What would I be missing with the non Windows version?

PiPlay is based on a version of MAME from early 2001, with some later drivers backported. Basically, you're missing 14 years of MAMEdev's knowledge and experience making the games run, look, and sound as perfectly as possible with it. (Plus all the great save state support we've gained in the last ~6 releases or so).

For a lot of people, they don't care, the fact that the Pi is super-cheap overrides their brain in a similar fashion to slow-motion videos of Kate Upton jogging. For everyone else, you'll get the closest possible representation of the original game (coming in 2015: vectorized artwork) on a modern Windows, Mac, or Linux computer.

lamprey
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/01/11
Send PM

Re: Mame - Windows or Rasberry Pi 2 PiPlay(AdvanceMAME & MAME4ALL)? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#337821 - 03/18/15 07:24 PM

> For a lot of people, they don't care, the fact that the Pi is super-cheap overrides
> their brain in a similar fashion to slow-motion videos of Kate Upton jogging. For
> everyone else, you'll get the closest possible representation of the original game
> (coming in 2015: vectorized artwork) on a modern Windows, Mac, or Linux computer.

Not to derail the thread, but is there any more information about the coming vectorized artwork?

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Mame - Windows or Rasberry Pi 2 PiPlay(AdvanceMAME & MAME4ALL)? new [Re: lamprey]
#337826 - 03/18/15 09:18 PM

> > For a lot of people, they don't care, the fact that the Pi is super-cheap overrides
> > their brain in a similar fashion to slow-motion videos of Kate Upton jogging. For
> > everyone else, you'll get the closest possible representation of the original game
> > (coming in 2015: vectorized artwork) on a modern Windows, Mac, or Linux computer.
>
> Not to derail the thread, but is there any more information about the coming
> vectorized artwork?

I'm gravely disappointed the thread derail isn't about Kate Upton.

No, there's no info yet. You'll probably just see it appear someday.

casm
Cinematronics > *
Reged: 08/27/07
Send PM

Re: Mame - Windows or Rasberry Pi 2 PiPlay(AdvanceMAME & MAME4ALL)? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#337832 - 03/18/15 11:03 PM

> For a lot of people, they don't care, the fact that the Pi is super-cheap overrides
> their brain

Or they think that they can make an n-in-1 board out of a Raspberry Pi for half the cost of a Game Elf or similar. Frankly, neither one is a good option

> (coming in 2015: vectorized artwork)

I believe that this is what today's cool kids refer to as 'gnarly rad'.

dman777
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/06/13
Send PM

#337845 - 03/19/15 03:38 AM

Sorry, I am a totally newbie... I am trying to figure out what I missing here since I played Mame on Xbox original.

I guess the main feature I would notice is- does mame make the 16-bit games look good on a 1080p screen? Does it upscale significantly?

Darth Mario
Hail Hydra
Send PM

#337849 - 03/19/15 04:33 AM Attachment: spacekate.gif 999 KB (0 downloads)

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#337860 - 03/19/15 06:49 AM

> I'm gravely disappointed the thread derail isn't about Kate Upton.

She's so overrated. She's flabby, lacks tone, has bad skin, and look anaemic.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

I'm gravely disappointed the thread derail isn't about Kate Upton. new [Re: R. Belmont]
#337867 - 03/19/15 09:46 AM

That was gonna be me....except in the opposite direction. Vas had an interesting take on it....

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Re: Mame - Windows or Rasberry Pi 2 PiPlay(AdvanceMAME & MAME4ALL)? new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#337870 - 03/19/15 10:05 AM

> > I'm gravely disappointed the thread derail isn't about Kate Upton.
>
> She's so overrated. She's flabby, lacks tone, has bad skin, and look(s) anaemic.

Wait... What?

But, yeah. Def. OR.

LEVEL-4

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

Re: Mame - Windows or Rasberry Pi 2 PiPlay(AdvanceMAME & MAME4ALL)? new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#337874 - 03/19/15 12:39 PM

> > > I'm gravely disappointed the thread derail isn't about Kate Upton.
> >
> > She's so overrated. She's flabby, lacks tone, has bad skin, and look(s) anaemic.
>
>
> Wait... What?
>
> But, yeah. Def. OR.

No seriously: watch a video of her moving carefully and (if you take your eyes off t3h b00b) you'll see that her thighs really aren't firm at all - they're made of flab. And if you see her when she isn't airbrushed to hell and back, her skin looks deathly pale, like anaemia.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

#337878 - 03/19/15 02:11 PM

> Sorry, I am a totally newbie... I am trying to figure out what I missing here since I
> played Mame on Xbox original.

And people played the original version of MAME on PCs with 486 processors at the time. What exactly is your point? What does this have to do with the price of tea in China?

> I guess the main feature I would notice is- does mame make the 16-bit games look good
> on a 1080p screen? Does it upscale significantly?

Um... what? What do you mean by "look good"? What do you mean by "upscale significantly"? The games ran at like 320x240, at best. We now have displays that are 1920x1080. What should these mystical upscaling algorithms do? How should they look, in your opinion? Again, what constitutes "looking good"? From a pure accuracy standpoint, it would simply involve scaling every pixel by 4.5 and then putting pillar boxes on either side of the originally 4:3 display, but I imagine that wouldn't meet your bar for "looking good", so what exactly does?

These kinds of vague questions just bug the hell out of me, because it seems the person asking the question assumes it's implied that they don't want a straight nearest-neighbor upscale of the source material, but then they fail to define what exactly quantifies "looking good" or even describing how they actually expect it to look when upscaled.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

Re: Mame - Windows or Rasberry Pi 2 PiPlay(AdvanceMAME & MAME4ALL)? new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#337886 - 03/19/15 06:36 PM

> Um... what? What do you mean by "look good"? What do you mean by "upscale
> significantly"? The games ran at like 320x240, at best. We now have displays that are
> 1920x1080. What should these mystical upscaling algorithms do? How should they look,
> in your opinion? Again, what constitutes "looking good"? From a pure accuracy
> standpoint, it would simply involve scaling every pixel by 4.5 and then putting
> pillar boxes on either side of the originally 4:3 display, but I imagine that
> wouldn't meet your bar for "looking good", so what exactly does?

You have to understand that these people don't even really know what they want. They haven't even thought the problem through enough to understand what the choices might be. Asking questions before putting some basic thought in is the way of internet forums.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Re: Mame - Windows or Rasberry Pi 2 PiPlay(AdvanceMAME & MAME4ALL)? new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#337903 - 03/20/15 09:29 AM

> And if you see her when she isn't airbrushed to hell and back, her skin looks deathly pale, like anaemia.

Good white girls are pale, yo. The Nords are all pale as fuck.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Send PM

Re: Mame - Windows or Rasberry Pi 2 PiPlay(AdvanceMAME & MAME4ALL)? new [Re: Dullaron]
#337928 - 03/20/15 09:20 PM

> > I really want a raspberry pi 2. The main reason is for Mame. Would the version for
> > raspberry pi(PiPlay which uses AdvanceMAME & MAME4ALL) be significantly not as good
> > as the Windows version of Mame? What would I be missing with the non Windows
> version?
>
> Official MAME/MESS for Windows/Linux/Apple. Made from the Official MAME source. No
> hacks. No BS. Thumbs up.

Ten year old PC from the trash also > Raspberry Pi and costs $0 to obtain (so it's also cheaper than a Pi too).

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 335 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3517