MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

And now your moment of zen
#337721 - 03/15/15 05:00 AM Attachment: zen.jpg 295 KB (0 downloads)

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Re: And now your moment of zen new [Re: Smitdogg]
#337723 - 03/15/15 07:39 AM

Which movie is this? I don't think I ever seen this one. Look like a funny one.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Group zen. new [Re: Smitdogg]
#337725 - 03/15/15 08:04 AM

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: Group zen. new [Re: GatKong]
#337734 - 03/15/15 03:53 PM

Most people don't even remember ditto machines / copies.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: And now your moment of zen new [Re: Dullaron]
#337738 - 03/15/15 05:23 PM

Billy Madison

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Group zen. new [Re: redk9258]
#337753 - 03/16/15 05:17 AM

> Most people don't even remember ditto machines/copies.

I don't think I ever encountered spirit duplicators, but I do remember "stencillers" as they were colloquially known. Interestingly, they're still available, albeit in a fully automated, high-speed, digital form known as RISO.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Group zen. new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#337755 - 03/16/15 06:50 AM

> > Most people don't even remember ditto machines/copies.
>
> I don't think I ever encountered spirit duplicators, but I do remember "stencillers"
> as they were colloquially known. Interestingly, they're still available, albeit in a
> fully automated, high-speed, digital form known as RISO.

It's funny, the small Catholic elementary/junior high I went to used mimeographs right up until I graduated in 1991. I remember the ink being purple-ish, but I have no recollection at all of the copies having any particular smell.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Re: Group zen. new [Re: DMala]
#337756 - 03/16/15 07:38 AM

> > > Most people don't even remember ditto machines/copies.
> >
> > I don't think I ever encountered spirit duplicators, but I do remember
> "stencillers"
> > as they were colloquially known. Interestingly, they're still available, albeit in
> a
> > fully automated, high-speed, digital form known as RISO.
>
> It's funny, the small Catholic elementary/junior high I went to used mimeographs
> right up until I graduated in 1991. I remember the ink being purple-ish, but I have
> no recollection at all of the copies having any particular smell.

I don't think I'll ever forget. 8th grade science class, we had a test one day.... It was 5 or 6 pages stapled together. One page I turn to looked completely blank, I thought it was strange, but just chalked it up to the teacher making a mistake. So, I turn to the next page and continued taking the test. The next day we (as a class) graded them. This worked by passing them out to different students (you weren't allowed to grade your own test). At some point another classmate raised their hand and exclaimed that a page wasn't done/filled out. Sure enough, it was mine.

For whatever reason, that particular page was printed much lighter than the others. At that point I could THEN see questions. I would've known and been able to answer them. But there was no way to complete it at that point.

LEVEL-4

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

Re: Group zen. new [Re: DMala]
#337758 - 03/16/15 11:42 AM

> It's funny, the small Catholic elementary/junior high I went to used mimeographs
> right up until I graduated in 1991. I remember the ink being purple-ish, but I have
> no recollection at all of the copies having any particular smell.

The ink did have a different smell to the toner/ozone/heat smell from photocopying. But it wouldn't have been the same as the smell from the solvents used by a spirit duplicator, and it wouldn't have been as strong on the prints themselves, since a spirit duplicator required the entire sheet to be wet with the solvent.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

#337759 - 03/16/15 11:46 AM

> > It's funny, the small Catholic elementary/junior high I went to used mimeographs
> > right up until I graduated in 1991. I remember the ink being purple-ish, but I have
> > no recollection at all of the copies having any particular smell.
>
> The ink did have a different smell to the toner/ozone/heat smell from photocopying.
> But it wouldn't have been the same as the smell from the solvents used by a spirit
> duplicator, and it wouldn't have been as strong on the prints themselves, since a
> spirit duplicator required the entire sheet to be wet with the solvent.

When I studied drafting we had those large copiers(?) that used a black light (ultraviolet) and something that smelled like ammonia.

Smelled like? Maybe it WAS.

Edited by Tomu Breidah (03/16/15 11:50 AM)

LEVEL-4

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

Re: Group zen. new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#337762 - 03/16/15 12:49 PM

> When I studied drafting we had those large copiers(?) that used a black light
> (ultraviolet) and something that smelled like ammonia.
>
> Smelled like? Maybe it WAS.

You mean cyanotype? One of the chemicals used in the process is ammonium ferric citrate - that's what you could smell.

Comboman
Can't think of a good title
Reged: 12/30/12
Loc: Halifax, Canada
Send PM

Re: Group zen. new [Re: redk9258]
#337770 - 03/16/15 11:40 PM

I did a comic strip for the school newspaper on ditto. I seem to remember being terrified to make a mistake since you couldn't erase lines and the master sheets were expensive.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

#337907 - 03/20/15 09:42 AM

> You mean cyanotype? One of the chemicals used in the process is ammonium ferric citrate - that's what you could smell.

Yeah, in grade school they used a hand-turned copier, and the pages were purple ink and smelled liked kind of....crafty. (She's cra-ftY.) I think in high school were the ones that smelled like they could get you high. Cute stuff from the old days.

The thing about these kinds of [sensual] experiences is that they made you salty in ways the kids today do not know of. But, the world was still largely an adult one up through the mid 80s, and that's what's really missing with anyone born after 1990.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 287 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2292