MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

So, does ATI's software also fill hard drives with old copies?
#337626 - 03/11/15 07:44 PM

Firefox couldn't update. Windows couldn't update. Hard drive was full. 4.6GB of space freed up by deleting old copies of the full installation package of nvidia's "experience" stored in its folder.

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

Re: So, does ATI's software also fill hard drives with old copies? new [Re: TriggerFin]
#337631 - 03/12/15 02:06 AM

> Firefox couldn't update. Windows couldn't update. Hard drive was full. 4.6GB of space
> freed up by deleting old copies of the full installation package of nvidia's
> "experience" stored in its folder.

Yeah, I used to play a particular on-line poker and every time it updated, it stored its new updated files (and didn't clean-up any prior updated ones) and every time it crashed it kept massive memory dump logs (without telling you or referring to them later) and so on. Eventually my hard drive was full, and I went looking for the culprit and this poker client was chewing over 10 GB (iirc) of disk space.

Well that and pron .....

Moose

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: So, does ATI's software also fill hard drives with old copies? new [Re: TriggerFin]
#337649 - 03/12/15 07:09 AM

> Firefox couldn't update. Windows couldn't update. Hard drive was full. 4.6GB of space

If you extract the installer to a folder and start setup.exe inside then it doesn't create the temp folder in the first place.

You can select custom install and then install the driver and PhysX only. Unless you have 3D glasses/display, an Nvidia Shield and use HDMI audio none of the other stuff is necessary.

S

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#337650 - 03/12/15 08:05 AM

Ugh. I have a "Installer2" folder with 1.7GB of what I assume are leftover installer files in C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\

Nvidia is on my shitlist lately. That whole bluescreen issue with newer driver packages on older cards that they refuse to fix is total bullshit. They're just trying to force people to buy new cards. If they don't want to support the old cards anymore, then just stop supporting them in new packages. Don't break the fucking drivers. Assholes.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

Qun Mang
Legend of Link
Reged: 12/12/03
Loc: Hidden Hyrulian city Lurkopolis
Send PM

Re: So, does ATI's software also fill hard drives with old copies? new [Re: krick]
#337671 - 03/13/15 01:03 AM

> Ugh. I have a "Installer2" folder with 1.7GB of what I assume are leftover installer
> files in C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\
>
> Nvidia is on my shitlist lately. That whole bluescreen issue with newer driver
> packages on older cards that they refuse to fix is total bullshit. They're just
> trying to force people to buy new cards. If they don't want to support the old cards
> anymore, then just stop supporting them in new packages. Don't break the fucking
> drivers. Assholes.

Of course, in the case of my Dragon, upgrading the 8800M is not even possible. So I am stuck with using a pre-200 version (197 or 198 I think) with that computer. There is a workaround to use newer drivers, but if I recall correctly, that involves disabling the automatic speed-adjustment of the fans so you have to leave them constantly on medium or high speed. Fortunately I replaced my entire computer lately and relegated that to (oversized) laptop status.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

#337699 - 03/14/15 05:35 AM

Yep. And it all goes to C:\ATI\. Always.

Code:

C:\ATI\Support>dir
Volume in drive C has no label.
Volume Serial Number is 0A83-0B62

Directory of C:\ATI\Support

06/26/2014 04:00 PM [DIR] 10-4_win7_32-64_unified_wdm
06/26/2014 04:03 PM [DIR] 9-7_xp32-64_t650usb_wdm

ATI's drivers suck, too. :P

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: So, does ATI's software also fill hard drives with old copies? new [Re: Foxhack]
#337703 - 03/14/15 06:52 AM

> Yep. And it all goes to C:\ATI\. Always.

It's handy to have it around in case you need to reinstall an older version of the driver when the new one turns out to be crap. I wish Samsung Kies would do that as so far there have only been one or two versions that actually work.

> ATI's drivers suck, too. :P

I think there's a law that all Windows graphics drivers have to.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 62 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1586