View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

cmonkey
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/26/13
Send PM

Un-dumped Puzznic bootleg
#337559 - 03/08/15 12:29 PM

I've got an un-dumped Taito Puzznic bootleg to be (hopefully) added to MAME. The Italian Puzznic bootleg (puzznici) currently in MAME has the scantily clad 4-bit naked girls and uses 1mbit tile/sprite roms. My version doesn't have the girls and uses 512kbit tile/sprite roms. Both my version and puzznici lack the protection MCU of the parent.

Comparisons between this bootleg and the parent (puzznic) show the following :-

ic10 (tiles/sprites) - identical
ic9 (tiles/sprites) - 17 bytes difference ($40-$4f and $60)
ic11 (Z80 code) - lots of differences

The roms play without issues when substituted into the puzznici folder (with the usual warnings about rom sizes/CRCs being incorrect).

The bootleg board has a PAL on the top board. I've swapped the PALs around from my original board to the bootleg board and both games boot fine and play with the swapped PALs. Unfortunately my eprom reader won't read PALs, I could send it to Porchy if needed as I'm sure he could probably read it.

If you need any more info then let me know.

Send me a PM if you're a MAME dev and want the roms.

Pics are here :-

Another one preserved. :-)

Edited by cmonkey (03/08/15 06:42 PM)

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Reged: 07/13/10
Loc: Macedonia,Veles
Send PM

Re: Un-dumped Puzznic bootleg new [Re: cmonkey]
#337562 - 03/08/15 04:01 PM

No ROMZ allowed here

cmonkey
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Un-dumped Puzznic bootleg new [Re: CTOJAH]
#337566 - 03/08/15 06:41 PM

Oops! Sorry! I've removed the roms now. How do I get them to one of the MAME devs?

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Un-dumped Puzznic bootleg new [Re: cmonkey]
#337567 - 03/08/15 07:01 PM

Main board looks legit. Maybe this was something after the fact for Korea or something and they had a bunch of spare motherboards to send them and Taito let them make their own rom board for it. It could actually be an "official Korea" version. You can send me a private message with a link to download the roms and I'll forward it to the DU and someone will add it.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: Puzznic bootleg and reply regarding Super Locomotive new [Re: cmonkey]
#337568 - 03/08/15 08:43 PM

--
I've got an un-dumped Taito Puzznic bootleg to be (hopefully) added to MAME. The Italian Puzznic bootleg (puzznici) currently in MAME has the scantily clad 4-bit naked girls and uses 1mbit tile/sprite roms. My version doesn't have the girls and uses 512kbit tile/sprite roms. Both my version and puzznici lack the protection MCU of the parent.

Comparisons between this bootleg and the parent (puzznic) show the following:

ic10 (tiles/sprites) - identical
ic9 (tiles/sprites) - 17 bytes difference ($40-$4f and $60)
ic11 (Z80 code) - lots of differences

The roms play without issues when substituted into the puzznici folder (with the usual warnings about rom sizes/CRCs being incorrect).

The bootleg board has a PAL on the top board. I've swapped the PALs around from my original board to the bootleg board and both games boot fine and play with the swapped PALs. Unfortunately my eprom reader won't read PALs, I could send it to Porchy if needed as I'm sure he could probably read it.
--

Thanks for sending this in. If all the roms have been dumped from pcb, great. Even though it means more work involved if having to dump all roms and pal is to prevent any future occurence of when there is a rom conflict with multiple sets or a set that was not properly documented when sent in many years earlier.

A recent actual example of this when not all roms get dumped from a pcb or not properly documented when sent in at the time.

-
http://git.redump.net/mame/commit/?id=af0acbfb39a09f1a43865f397dd8b3202b113f03

Turbo Outrun (Japan DX) (original all EPR based board) // CPU: FD1094 (317-0101)
toutrunj1

Turbo Outrun (White cockpit/sitdown Deluxe version) // CPU: FD1094 (317-0109)
toutrun1
-

As for the old Super Locomotive thread, drewcifer posted a very good reply.

>Are there any schematics floating around for Super Loco (I've never been able to find
>any if there are)?

I don't recall seeing listings on N. American ebay of manuals or schematics of the game, but there may have been. And it is another one of those games in which currently no flyers of Super Locomotive are online on TAFA for cab reference. I am not sure if Dan H. has Super Locomotive on his new flyer web site at this time.

If continuing search regarding this part of Super Locomotive, good luck.

As for the Super Locomotive bug report....

-
>I don't know the correct way to report issues like this so I hope you don't mind me
>reporting it here.
-

Super Locomotive flip issue likely occured at .153 version after all the driver updates in early part of 2014 and the video overhaul at the time.

--
http://mamedev.org/releases/whatsnew_0153.txt 0.153 07 Apr 2014

-Huge effort has been done in order to modernize core and drivers, almost
every file has been touched [Curt Coder, Osso, Alex Jackson, smf, Miodrag Milanovic]

-Stop the flipping insanity: [Alex Jackson]
Tilemap flipping is now calculated relative to the center of the
visible area rather than to the total screen size, and the generic
flip screen functions no longer modify the visible area. These
changes ensure that in most cases flipping should Just Work for
drivers that use MCFG_RAW_PARAMs, games that have a programmable CRTC,
and games that have raster effects, and should fix many longstanding
flip/cocktail-related regressions.

http://git.redump.net/mame/commit/?id=1f7a3bf649c4f27fca0ae70c4965887ed0a83e5c

Stop the flipping insanity [Alex Jackson]
2014-02-05
--

The video file had been updated at this change.

--
2014-03-10

You now specify a gfxdecode device once when you create a tilemap, rather than each time in the tile info callback. Updated all drivers accordingly [Alex Jackson]

src/mame/video/suprloco.c
--

MAME Testers doesn't have any suprloco.c entry, so this may be first time that Super Locomotive will be added to MAME Testers as an entry. There are probably other games with flip screen issues not yet reported since the video/screen flipping overhaul updates from last year.

cmonkey
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Puzznic bootleg and reply regarding Super Locomotive new [Re: gregf]
#337670 - 03/13/15 12:54 AM

Apologies for the off topic but in reply to gregf's comments above re. other games with flip screen issues since the video/screen flipping overhaul updates Sega System 2 games are very badly messed up in P2 (flipped screen) cocktail mode :-

Wonderboy Monsterland - 0.151

Wonderboy Monsterland - 0.154

Choplifter - 0.151

Choplifter - 0.154

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: reply regarding Super Locomotive and flip screen bugs new [Re: cmonkey]
#337744 - 03/15/15 09:02 PM

>other games with flip screen issues since the video/screen flipping overhaul updates
>Sega System 2 games are very badly messed up in P2 (flipped screen) cocktail mode:

Yep...definitely a needed bug entry for MAME Testers since it probably affects other games not yet tested/verified. imo the flip screen issue has to be first occuring just before .153 was released last year.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 358 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2361