MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Silverfox0786
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/22/15
Send PM

I think i have some NEW dumps (I own the PCBs)
#337114 - 02/22/15 03:26 PM

Hi there, I was advised to register and post here about some PCBSS I own

One is PENGO Boot by SEGA
One is Star Force Boot

Now this is what I have found upon dumping them

SEGA Pengo, runs in debug mode in the PENTA folder of MAME but is not 100% penta it is defo different.
It has PENTO in the text screen but it has the SEGA LOGO. it Defo different from any Dumped PENGO games within MAME 158. The ROMS themselves verify as a weird mashup of 2 sets

As for Star Force. that one im currently trying to repair and it plays fine on screen but has some missing sprites. so I decided to dump the roms to see if I has corrupt GFX roms and tried to verify in MAME 158 and many came up unknown.
My next task was to run the roms in MAME debug to see fi I get the same issues to confirm its the ROMS are corrupt, but instead I found the roms run perfect in MAME and it seems that this is also a un-dumped ROM Set I have

have you guys got any thoughts or would like me to submit these for your own testing

(btw the PROMs for both games are global to the parent set)

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: I think i have some NEW dumps (I own the PCBs) new [Re: Silverfox0786]
#337116 - 02/22/15 06:46 PM

You can either upload them to sendspace and send me a private message with the link or you can use the submission form/button/whatever it currently is at mamedev.org.

Silverfox0786
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: I think i have some NEW dumps (I own the PCBs) new [Re: Smitdogg]
#337117 - 02/22/15 07:41 PM

let me get it uploaded and I will send you a pm

Silverfox0786
MAME Fan
Send PM

#337118 - 02/22/15 07:57 PM

> You can either upload them to sendspace and send me a private message with the link
> or you can use the submission form/button/whatever it currently is at mamedev.org.

i have sent you pm with teh dumps

you obviously know this but i will still add

Starfoce i ran as starforc.zip
Pengo i ran as Penta.zip

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: NEW dumps new [Re: Silverfox0786]
#337119 - 02/22/15 09:25 PM

>One is PENGO Boot by SEGA
>One is Star Force Boot

>Now this is what I have found upon dumping them

>SEGA Pengo, runs in debug mode in the PENTA folder of MAME but is not 100% penta it is
>defo different.
>It has PENTO in the text screen but it has the SEGA LOGO. it Defo different from any
>Dumped PENGO games within MAME 158. The ROMS themselves verify as a weird mashup of 2 sets

>As for Star Force. that one im currently trying to repair and it plays fine on screen
>but has some missing sprites. so I decided to dump the roms to see if I has corrupt GFX
>roms and tried to verify in MAME 158 and many came up unknown.
>My next task was to run the roms in MAME debug to see fi I get the same issues to
>confirm its the ROMS are corrupt, but instead I found the roms run perfect in MAME and
>it seems that this is also a un-dumped ROM Set I have

>have you guys got any thoughts or would like me to submit these

Anything sent in (if believed to be different or not supported in MAME) is always welcomed. Thanks for what has been sent in because the sets might be useful in case there are others that have same pcbs and need to replace roms in case roms go sour/bad.

>(btw the PROMs for both games are global to the parent set)

You might be asked by a MAMEdev member later if the proms can also be dumped. In the past, some of the proms might have been overlooked when roms from various games were dumped earlier. Then what might happen is some emulation bug issue which left users guessing if the romset had bad dumps or an emulation issue in MAME not yet resolved.

On a couple past occasions, it was because a prom might have been overlooked when roms were dumped and once the missing prom was added, then there would be no more emulation/bug issues.

Granted what you already tested seems to be same and okay, but it helps just to be sure nothing gets overlooked when new sets of roms and proms are dumped.

Anyway, thanks for sending in what has already been sent.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#337121 - 02/22/15 09:32 PM

Yes, as gregf has said Thank You for the submissions.

Perhaps consider taking Hi-Res pics of those PCBs and others that you have access to as well

Silverfox0786
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: I think i have some NEW dumps (I own the PCBs) new [Re: B2K24]
#337125 - 02/22/15 09:47 PM

> Yes, as gregf has said Thank You for the submissions.
>
> Perhaps consider taking Hi-Res pics of those PCBs and others that you have access to
> as well

i own both PCBs and have gone through teh washer so are crystal clean

i will get my best camera and get tehm photographed

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#337126 - 02/22/15 09:48 PM

For Starforce Haze says 1.3hj has fixed bits so it didn't read out correctly but that it would match a set in mame if read right, but the other roms you had in the set that are different from mame dumps are only 1 bit off so they are bitrotted and you need to erase them and reburn with the images from mame, or you might have to replace them with different chips if they don't verify as matching mame 100% after the reburn.

Silverfox0786
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: NEW dumps new [Re: gregf]
#337127 - 02/22/15 09:59 PM

> > One is PENGO Boot by SEGA
> > One is Star Force Boot
>
> > Now this is what I have found upon dumping them
>
> > SEGA Pengo, runs in debug mode in the PENTA folder of MAME but is not 100% penta it
> is
> > defo different.
> > It has PENTO in the text screen but it has the SEGA LOGO. it Defo different from any
> > Dumped PENGO games within MAME 158. The ROMS themselves verify as a weird mashup of
> 2 sets
>
>
> > As for Star Force. that one im currently trying to repair and it plays fine on
> screen
> > but has some missing sprites. so I decided to dump the roms to see if I has corrupt
> GFX
> > roms and tried to verify in MAME 158 and many came up unknown.
> > My next task was to run the roms in MAME debug to see fi I get the same issues to
> > confirm its the ROMS are corrupt, but instead I found the roms run perfect in MAME
> and
> > it seems that this is also a un-dumped ROM Set I have
>
>
> > have you guys got any thoughts or would like me to submit these
>
> Anything sent in (if believed to be different or not supported in MAME) is always
> welcomed. Thanks for what has been sent in because the sets might be useful in case
> there are others that have same pcbs and need to replace roms in case roms go
> sour/bad.
>
>
> >(btw the PROMs for both games are global to the parent set)
>
> You might be asked by a MAMEdev member later if the proms can also be dumped. In the
> past, some of the proms might have been overlooked when roms from various games were
> dumped earlier. Then what might happen is some emulation bug issue which left users
> guessing if the romset had bad dumps or an emulation issue in MAME not yet resolved.
>
> On a couple past occasions, it was because a prom might have been overlooked when
> roms were dumped and once the missing prom was added, then there would be no more
> emulation/bug issues.
>
> Granted what you already tested seems to be same and okay, but it helps just to be
> sure nothing gets overlooked when new sets of roms and proms are dumped.
>
> Anyway, thanks for sending in what has already been sent.

at the monet i dont have a PROM reader but if they are absolutluy nessasary i can have teh PCBs sent to a friend who can dump them

Silverfox0786
MAME Fan
Send PM

#337128 - 02/22/15 10:04 PM

> For Starforce Haze says 1.3hj has fixed bits so it didn't read out correctly but that
> it would match a set in mame if read right, but the other roms you had in the set
> that are different from mame dumps are only 1 bit off so they are bitrotted and you
> need to erase them and reburn with the images from mame, or you might have to replace
> them with different chips if they don't verify as matching mame 100% after the
> reburn.

cheers for that info

Lord Nightmare
Speech Synth Berzerker
Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: PA, USA
Send PM

#337130 - 02/22/15 11:24 PM

> For Starforce Haze says 1.3hj has fixed bits so it didn't read out correctly but that
> it would match a set in mame if read right, but the other roms you had in the set
> that are different from mame dumps are only 1 bit off so they are bitrotted and you
> need to erase them and reburn with the images from mame, or you might have to replace
> them with different chips if they don't verify as matching mame 100% after the
> reburn.

Haze thinks they're bitrotted. That doesn't necessarily mean they are.
Can you try redumping those 'unique' roms to be sure they read the same each time?

LN

"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"

Renegade
Got No Where Else to Go
Reged: 10/01/03
Send PM

Re: I think i have some NEW dumps (I own the PCBs) new [Re: Lord Nightmare]
#337162 - 02/24/15 03:00 AM

Could someone explain what exactly bitrot is and what actually causes it.

It would be appreciated ;-)

Only here to annoy...

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: I think i have some NEW dumps (I own the PCBs) new [Re: Renegade]
#337163 - 02/24/15 05:40 AM

> Could someone explain what exactly bitrot is and what actually causes it.
>
> It would be appreciated ;-)

Data stored in ROM is eventually lost. The causes vary depending on the technology, but they include mask layer oxidation, and trapped electrical charges leaking.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=bit +rot new [Re: Renegade]
#337215 - 02/25/15 11:40 PM

In other words, bad, like it sounds.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 335 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2636