Pages: 1

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Questions about csplayh1
#336722 - 02/06/15 01:25 PM

Yes, I know this game isn't supposed to work, a number of things are not known about the hardware, the DVD and MPEG decoding parts are completely unemulated, etc.

Is csplayh1.chd known to be a good dump? The reason I ask is because the DVD images for all other games in the driver contain a UDF file system with an 320x240 MPEG1 muxed stream file for the game's FMV. But csplayh1.chd doesn't appear to contain a valid filesystem. Or is there a bad dump flag somewhere that I've missed?

Is it normal that in listxml output the DVD images have writable="yes" attributes in their disk elements? I would've thought it should be "no" for read-only media.

Olivier Galibert
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/21/03
Send PM

Re: Questions about csplayh1 new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#336725 - 02/06/15 02:29 PM

Did you notice that csplayh1 was compressed as a CD, which means you have to drop the extra block header/footer crap? Because there's the usual CD001 in there.

The #1 thingy that hardware needs is serial support in the main cpu, so that it can communicate with the reader-controlling h8. I have the start on that in my tree.

OG.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

Re: Questions about csplayh1 new [Re: Olivier Galibert]
#336726 - 02/06/15 02:44 PM

> Did you notice that csplayh1 was compressed as a CD, which means you have to drop the
> extra block header/footer crap? Because there's the usual CD001 in there.

I'm such a total n00b with chdman, I had no idea that CDs had to be handled differently. I'll see if I can work it out. Sorry for bothering you.

> The #1 thingy that hardware needs is serial support in the main cpu, so that it can
> communicate with the reader-controlling h8. I have the start on that in my tree.
>
> OG.

Olivier Galibert
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

#336727 - 02/06/15 02:51 PM

> > Did you notice that csplayh1 was compressed as a CD, which means you have to drop
> the
> > extra block header/footer crap? Because there's the usual CD001 in there.
>
> I'm such a total n00b with chdman, I had no idea that CDs had to be handled
> differently. I'll see if I can work it out. Sorry for bothering you.

No problem. It's CDs that are a pain in the ass in general, with the mode 1/2/whatever crap which means the dumps have more than the 2048bytes/block in them. DVDs are better in that there's only one encoding used[1], and it's not visible, so the dumps are the interesting contents only.

OG.

[1] Unless you're a wii, from what I've read.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

#336729 - 02/06/15 03:35 PM

> > > Did you notice that csplayh1 was compressed as a CD, which means you have to drop
> > the
> > > extra block header/footer crap? Because there's the usual CD001 in there.
> >
> > I'm such a total n00b with chdman, I had no idea that CDs had to be handled
> > differently. I'll see if I can work it out. Sorry for bothering you.
>
> No problem. It's CDs that are a pain in the ass in general, with the mode
> 1/2/whatever crap which means the dumps have more than the 2048bytes/block in them.
> DVDs are better in that there's only one encoding used[1], and it's not visible, so
> the dumps are the interesting contents only.
>
> OG.
>
> [1] Unless you're a wii, from what I've read.

OK, managed to extract/mount it, and it's absolutely bizarre. It's a VCD with a single very short track, but the VCD track doesn't contain the game's FMV. The game's FMV is in a normal file (as opposed to VCD tracks that are additional mode 2 tracks) called FMV.DAT in the CDI directory. What were these guys thinking?

And yes, GC/Wii/Wii U use a different format. They use a different scheme for scrambling the data, and it starts at a different offset in each sector. Then there's the unreadable sectors that get data from the BCA substituted over them.

Is it true that Xbox DVDs have the data spiral going from outside in rather than inside out?

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#336734 - 02/06/15 06:53 PM

> Is it true that Xbox DVDs have the data spiral going from outside in rather than
> inside out?

Xbox DVDs have the layers reversed (normal DVDs start on layer 0 and continue on layer 1; these start on layer 1 and continue on layer 0) and use a variant of the good old FAT filesystem. IIRC the first few blocks of layer 0 contains a small dummy UDF filesystem and a video track saying to put the disc in your Xbox, but not all discs did that I think. The actual sector encoding etc. is stock though.

Also, there are randomly-inserted security sectors. You run the disc generator, it randomly places those security sectors, and if there's not enough contiguous space for your biggest data file(s) you have to run the generator repeatedly until there is.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Re: Questions about csplayh1 new [Re: R. Belmont]
#336757 - 02/07/15 10:13 AM

> Also, there are randomly-inserted security sectors. You run the disc generator, it randomly places those security sectors, and if there's not enough contiguous space for your biggest data file(s) you have to run the generator repeatedly until there is.

Jesus. All in the name of capitalism........

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Send PM

#336760 - 02/07/15 11:05 AM

AFAIK, Xbox and X360 games are a slightly modified variant of a regular DVD-ROM (UDF file system), modified just enough to make the file system/boot sector unreadable under DOS/Windows (no idea about other OSes) - if you insert a regular DVD and mechanically eject it (don't use the open/close button), then swap to the Xbox game, the drive can read it (although Windows will still fail to identify the disc, or may even revert to the cached file structure). I believe the rumor about discs being read in reverse like a record was originally attributed to GameCube discs, but both Xbox and Nintendo discs are read the same way as DVDs (and probably PSP UMDs too).

AeroCityMayor
Entity formerly known as alien_mame
Reged: 11/11/03
Loc: Wakefield, West Yorks, UK.
Send PM

#336919 - 02/13/15 08:17 PM

> Did you notice that csplayh1 was compressed as a CD, which means you have to drop the
> extra block header/footer crap? Because there's the usual CD001 in there.
>
> The #1 thingy that hardware needs is serial support in the main cpu, so that it can
> communicate with the reader-controlling h8. I have the start on that in my tree.
>
> OG.

This was the first CHD I created and I just blindly followed instructions from a post on here... I think!

I still have all of the original DVDs and additionals which I was holding on to until CHDv5 was stable (zoiks), and a few more from Grandma's Japanese Game Centre on the way.

If you'd like me to recreate the CHDs, I will gladly with a little/some/a lot of guidance.

The sad thing is that all of the DVD players I have are completely worn out and I can't play the games any more. Any suggestions as to how I could get the hardware working with a new DVD player would be gratefully received.

Cheers,

Ralph.

Coherance of posts inversely proportional to Foster's consumption!!!

Olivier Galibert
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

Re: Questions about csplayh1 new [Re: AeroCityMayor]
#336939 - 02/14/15 01:55 PM

> If you'd like me to recreate the CHDs, I will gladly with a little/some/a lot of
> guidance.

Dunno. They may well be perfectly ok. Can you check which ones are CDs, and which ones are DVDs ?

OG.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#336944 - 02/14/15 06:47 PM

> Dunno. They may well be perfectly ok. Can you check which ones are CDs, and which
> ones are DVDs ?

Yeah, I don't think there's a problem with the rip, it was the contents that Vas was considering unusual

AeroCityMayor
Entity formerly known as alien_mame
Reged: 11/11/03
Loc: Wakefield, West Yorks, UK.
Send PM

Re: Questions about csplayh1 new [Re: R. Belmont]
#336992 - 02/16/15 10:41 PM

> > Dunno. They may well be perfectly ok. Can you check which ones are CDs, and which
> > ones are DVDs ?
>
> Yeah, I don't think there's a problem with the rip, it was the contents that Vas was
> considering unusual

All of the discs are DVDs and they were all ripped the same way - I think!!!

**The first one may have been ripped differently as I did all of the rest as a job lot at the same time**

I'm happy to have another go if someone/anyone can recommend the correct parameters.

Cheers,

Ralph.

Coherance of posts inversely proportional to Foster's consumption!!!

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

Re: Questions about csplayh1 new [Re: AeroCityMayor]
#337004 - 02/17/15 04:44 AM

> All of the discs are DVDs and they were all ripped the same way - I think!!!

csplayh1 is definitely a CD, it uses features that DVD doesn't have. The others are most likely DVD, but they could conceivably be UDF on CD.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 290 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2688