View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Comboman
Can't think of a good title
Reged: 12/30/12
Loc: Halifax, Canada
Send PM

Super Bug
#336582 - 01/31/15 10:55 PM Attachment: superbug.jpg 280 KB (12 downloads)

Since I already had the Kee 4-speed shifter, my plan was to just add a control panel to Super Bug with flashing start light and working shifter. However, as I researched the game, I found some additions could be made to other parts of the artwork. Watching blinddog's video, I saw there are supposed to be green overlays at the top and bottom of the screen, and the yellow overlay is actually "starburst" shaped so it looks like an explosion when you crash.

Also, looking at what few photos are available on the web, it seems that the bezel should have lime green and purplish stripes rather than yellow and red, although it's possible there was more than one color scheme released.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Comboman
Send PM

Re: Super Bug new [Re: Comboman]
#336583 - 01/31/15 10:58 PM Attachment: superbug.zip 4850 KB (69 downloads)

Here's the zip.

joey35car
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/07/07
Loc: Planet Claire
Send PM

#336597 - 02/01/15 06:26 PM

Thanks. I also reported this on Mametesters. In MAME it is missing the green overlay for the timer and score. And of course the star burst when you crash.

http://mametesters.org/view.php?id=5838

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/19/10
Loc: The Room Next To You
Send PM

#336606 - 02/01/15 11:54 PM

Cool.

----------------------
I have officially retired from sucking at everything I do. Life is much easier now.

My MAME/MESS artwork files: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ABxeKgNIrKlIsyck7dx4V241NFQDWAF4
Related screen shots: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1U5IbvbVzYW97PuOOQuocvZFE_YJz7WIn

Comboman
Send PM

Re: Super Bug new [Re: joey35car]
#336609 - 02/02/15 05:12 AM

> Thanks. I also reported this on Mametesters. In MAME it is missing the green overlay
> for the timer and score. And of course the star burst when you crash.
>

I'm pretty sure mametesters is for reporting emulation bugs, not artwork issues. The devs are busy enough as it is. Besides, the artwork I just posted fixes the overlay issues.

joey35car
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/07/07
Loc: Planet Claire
Send PM

#336620 - 02/02/15 12:48 PM

Thanks.

jcroach
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/27/04
Loc: Bloomington, Indiana
Send PM

#336624 - 02/02/15 06:39 PM

> Since I already had the Kee 4-speed shifter, my plan was to just add a control panel
> to Super Bug with flashing start light and working shifter. However, as I researched
> the game, I found some additions could be made to other parts of the artwork.
> Watching blinddog's video, I saw there are supposed to be green overlays at the top
> and bottom of the screen, and the yellow overlay is actually "starburst" shaped so it
> looks like an explosion when you crash.
>
>
> Also, looking at what few photos are available on the web, it seems that the bezel
> should have lime green and purplish stripes rather than yellow and red, although it's
> possible there was more than one color scheme released.

Great find and correction!

jcroach
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/27/04
Loc: Bloomington, Indiana
Send PM

#336625 - 02/02/15 06:45 PM

> > Thanks. I also reported this on Mametesters. In MAME it is missing the green
> overlay
> > for the timer and score. And of course the star burst when you crash.
> >
>
> I'm pretty sure mametesters is for reporting emulation bugs, not artwork issues. The
> devs are busy enough as it is. Besides, the artwork I just posted fixes the overlay
> issues.

Mame does include several built-in overlays that aren't part of artworks files. Not sure if that can be done with the complexity of the overlay that you've create.

Great work again.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

#336627 - 02/02/15 07:32 PM

>Watching blinddog's video,

Once again....to the rescue for helping provide another excellent video clip for references for helping artwork be done properly for several of the 1970s era arcade games.

>I saw there are supposed to be green overlays at the top and bottom of the screen, and
>the yellow overlay is actually "starburst" shaped so it looks like an explosion when
>you crash.

Another very good quality artwork update. I remember the yellow/sticker decal piece, but I didn't know about the green overlay/underlay pieces were also part of the cab.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: Super Bug new [Re: jcroach]
#336628 - 02/02/15 07:39 PM

>Mame does include several built-in overlays that aren't part of artworks files. Not sure
>if that can be done with the complexity of the overlay that you've create.

I believe the green portion could be handled as an internal layout file within MAME source code, but definitely not the yellow/crash piece since that is a unique shape piece that the internal layout artwork support could not handle.

RPOR6V
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/03/12
Send PM

Re: Super Bug new [Re: gregf]
#336630 - 02/02/15 08:10 PM

Comboman, you're on fire! Please accept the gratitude of someone who loves the really old video games.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#341028 - 06/03/15 08:33 PM

> Since I already had the Kee 4-speed shifter, my plan was to just add a control panel
> to Super Bug with flashing start light and working shifter. However, as I researched
> the game, I found some additions could be made to other parts of the artwork.
> Watching blinddog's video, I saw there are supposed to be green overlays at the top
> and bottom of the screen, and the yellow overlay is actually "starburst" shaped so it
> looks like an explosion when you crash.
>
>
> Also, looking at what few photos are available on the web, it seems that the bezel
> should have lime green and purplish stripes rather than yellow and red, although it's
> possible there was more than one color scheme released.

couriersud just subtly changed the internal artwork it seems:
https://github.com/mamedev/mame/commit/381d3dd5723576ec75ef7979561bba2fc2933ec7

- Stiletto

couriersud
Reged: 03/27/07
Send PM

Re: Super Bug new [Re: Stiletto]
#341033 - 06/03/15 11:01 PM

I have just added a white rect element :

Code:

rect  color red="1.0" green="1.0" blue="1.0" //rect

If you don't do this, the std. behaviour seems to be to render a black rect first, render the disc, and use this as an overlay texture.
Greater and smaller signs don't make it here. If in doubt, please look at the layout source.

Edited by couriersud (06/03/15 11:03 PM)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> MAME Artwork: Official
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Mr. Do 
0 registered and 50 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 5222