MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

uman
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/15/12
Send PM

A view HLSL questions and just wonder, what happened to this.
#336278 - 01/22/15 04:12 PM

Hello Gentlemen,

Maybe these questions sound noob, if so I apologize in advance.

I really wonder what happened with this topic: http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...p;vc=1&new=

Is this allready implemented inside of the HLSL Vector settings? Or has RobeeJ just gave up and I should contact him?

I know that we have Vector Bloom in HLSL, which is some kind of a glow. Sadly this Bloom shows up artifacts or get blocky really fast.

Also I still recommend a default vector_length_ratio of 100 maybe less, instead of the ridiculous default of 500. I never had a visual impact with settings over 100... just saying. IMHO this is just a zero to much and a mistake or bug.

My second question is regarding this topic: http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...amp;o=&vc=1

As far as I understand this, the only ways to test this shader is to have a SDL MAME on Linux or to use UME. Am I right with this?

Thats all for now

Cheers u-man

Edited by uman (01/23/15 02:39 PM)

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Move 'zig' *nt* new [Re: uman]
#336279 - 01/22/15 05:30 PM

> Hello Gentlemen,
>
> Maybe these questions sound noob, if so I apologize in advance.
>
> I really wonder what happened with this topic:
> http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...p;vc=1&new=
>
> Is this allready implemented inside of the HLSL Vector settings? Or has RobeeJ just
> gave up and I should contact him?
>
> I know that we have Vector Bloom in HLSL, which is some kind of a glow. Sadly this
> Bloom shows up artefacts or get blocky really fast.
>
> Also I still recommend a default vector_length_ratio of 100 maybe less, instead of
> the ridiculous default of 500. I never had a visual impact with settings over 100...
> just saying. IMHO this is just a zero to much and a mistake or bug.
>
> My second question is regarding this topic:
> http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...amp;o=&vc=1
>
> As far as I understand this, the only ways to test this shader is to have a SDL MAME
> on Linux or to use UME. Am I right with this?
>
> Thats all for now
>
> Cheers u-man

uman
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Move 'zig' *nt* new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#336281 - 01/22/15 06:06 PM

??? is my grammar funny or what?

lamprey
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/01/11
Send PM

Re: A view HLSL questions and just wonder, what happened to this. new [Re: uman]
#336283 - 01/22/15 06:16 PM

> I really wonder what happened with this topic:
> http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...p;vc=1&new=
>
> Is this allready implemented inside of the HLSL Vector settings? Or has RobeeJ just
> gave up and I should contact him?
>
> I know that we have Vector Bloom in HLSL, which is some kind of a glow. Sadly this
> Bloom shows up artefacts or get blocky really fast.

Short answer is no, that, specifically, wasn't implemented in MAME. MY understanding is that RobeeJ's code was software-based (CPU). Whereas MooglyGuy's was implemented in HLSL (GPU). I'm not going to tell you how to configure your system, but you shouldn't need much bloom to simulate a vector monitor. At higher bloom levels it doens't look good; vector or raster.

> My second question is regarding this topic:
> http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...amp;o=&vc=1
>
> As far as I understand this, the only ways to test this shader is to have a SDL MAME
> on Linux or to use UME. Am I right with this?
>

That is not 100% correct. You need SDLMame, but it runs on windows.

uman
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: A view HLSL questions and just wonder, what happened to this. new [Re: lamprey]
#336287 - 01/22/15 07:01 PM

> Short answer is no, that, specifically, wasn't implemented in MAME. MY understanding
> is that RobeeJ's code was software-based (CPU). Whereas MooglyGuy's was implemented
> in HLSL (GPU). I'm not going to tell you how to configure your system, but you
> shouldn't need much bloom to simulate a vector monitor. At higher bloom levels it
> doens't look good; vector or raster.

I am aware of this CPU/GPU thing, thats why RobeeJ hoped that someone could "translate" his code to a directX shader. I know a person, who could probably do this and thats why I am asking. It wouldnt make sense, if it is allready in MAME. Reading the topic, it looked like that many people liked his approach (including mogli).

I know that high Bloom settings, dont look nice, but high Raster Bloom still looks "natural", it is just overextended. Vector Bloom with slightly higher settings, creates "JPEG" like artefacts and I just wonder why.

>
> That is not 100% correct. You need SDLMame, but it runs on windows.

Ok, I am dumb and dont know the difference. Has SDLMame any downsides? I read in GroovyMAME posts, that it can create higher input-lags, but maybe I just dont understand it. I just would like to test this shader (but if possible not on Linux), thats all.

cheers u-man

uman
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: A view HLSL questions and just wonder, what happened to this. new [Re: uman]
#336319 - 01/23/15 02:58 PM

So are there any downsides of SDL MAME on Windows? What is the difference, other than that it support crossplattform SDL? It uses Open GL instead of DirectX or?

Also it seems that the Raster Bloom has a bug, because it always applies scanlines to the Bloom Levels Weight. You can see it, if you crank up the Bloom Levels Weight with higher settings. I know that this will not be noticeable if you use meaningful settings, but I think that it still "corrupt" the final image. Maybe it is just me, but it would be nice, if someone else could check that too.

u-man

PS: Screenshot: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5414984/mslug-mame-filter/bloom-bug.r-type.png

Edited by uman (01/23/15 03:48 PM)

lamprey
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/01/11
Send PM

#336322 - 01/23/15 06:37 PM

I don't know of any downsides per se. I don't believe that the shaders work on vector games. So, that might be a downside. But, you might be able to configure that some how, I just haven't bothered.

uman
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: A view HLSL questions and just wonder, what happened to this. new [Re: lamprey]
#336323 - 01/23/15 08:01 PM

I think you get me wrong. That was just two different questions. One, to know if Robee´s stuff is already implemented inside of MAME and the other for testing that shader with SDL. Anyway thx for the info with SDL. I just compiled a MAME version for testing this shader.

Should I start a new thread for the Bloom bug?

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#336362 - 01/25/15 05:28 AM

To clarify: shaders are not currently supported in SDLMAME for vector games (or, they are, but they're not all that useful in the way people want to use shaders for vector games).

uman
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: A view HLSL questions and just wonder, what happened to this. new [Re: R. Belmont]
#336370 - 01/25/15 12:43 PM

I have understand it . I asked for SDL, because of this shader: http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...amp;o=&vc=1

And I only want to test this shader and i have no intentions to test it with vector games.

In the initial post I asked for Robee´s vector shader and if it is used in the "official" MAME. I am interested to port his work to directx, because I know a person, who maybe can do this , but still dont know clearly if this will make any sense or if this is interesting to others.

I hope my questions are clear now

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 256 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2557