MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

The Walking Dead
#336162 - 01/18/15 06:39 AM

What I don't get is how the zombies have such a kung-fu grip strength with their teeth/jaws that they can bite live human flesh apart instantly but when you strike at them with literally any object it goes through them like water or you're at a fucking Gallagher concert. Also who is doing their haircuts (the humans)? Shouldn't they all have long straggly hair by season 2?

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Re: The Walking Dead new [Re: Smitdogg]
#336164 - 01/18/15 07:51 AM

> Also who is doing their haircuts (the humans)? Shouldn't they all
> have long straggly hair by season 2?

I instantly recalled something about cut grass in a yard. Either from a vid on YouTube, or one of those (De?)Motivational posters.

LEVEL-4

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#336204 - 01/20/15 06:35 AM

> What I don't get is how the zombies have such a kung-fu grip strength with their
> teeth/jaws that they can bite live human flesh apart instantly but when you strike at
> them with literally any object it goes through them like water or you're at a fucking
> Gallagher concert.

They've definitely sacrificed a little bit of logic for the sake of gore. It's not even just the zombies. They had to prevent someone who just died from turning recently, and Tyreese puts a knife through his skull like it was a block of butter.

> Also who is doing their haircuts (the humans)? Shouldn't they all
> have long straggly hair by season 2?

While they do look much better than real zombie apocalypse survivors would look, this isn't completely unrealistic. They've had a fair amount of down time during the show, at the farm and later the prison, where a trim here and there wouldn't have been out of the question. When they're on the run for an extended period, everyone does get scruffier. The most unrealistic part to me is Michonne's dreads. There is no way she'd be able to care for those properly. The smell alone would probably be enough to stop a zombie.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: The Walking Dead new [Re: DMala]
#336217 - 01/20/15 03:28 PM

It's funny too how nobody has said the word "zombie" yet and I'm in the middle of season 4.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Send PM

#336227 - 01/21/15 06:33 AM

> It's funny too how nobody has said the word "zombie" yet and I'm in the middle of
> season 4.

That's a conscious thing. I believe it's in the comics, too. "Our" group calls them walkers, other groups have various names for them, but nobody ever says the z-word.

I'd almost like to see a zombie movie or show or whatever, where the characters are fully aware of all the zombie lore in pop culture. I guess it would end up being pretty short... "Holy George Romero, Batman! That's a fucking zombie! Shoot it in the head and let's get the fuck out of here!"

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

#336253 - 01/21/15 10:51 PM

They made a big mistake of writing off the "Shane" character way too early because I could envision a plot with Shane backstabbing Rick and his group in order to help out the governor of Woodbury.

I guess the actor playing Shane got tired of the show and wanted to leave for different acting work?

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Send PM

Re: The Walking Dead new [Re: gregf]
#336266 - 01/22/15 07:04 AM

> They made a big mistake of writing off the "Shane" character way too early because I
> could envision a plot with Shane backstabbing Rick and his group in order to help out
> the governor of Woodbury.
>
> I guess the actor playing Shane got tired of the show and wanted to leave for
> different acting work?

Actually...

[COMIC SPOILERS, if anyone cares]

...they kept the Shane character around a lot longer on the show than they did on the comics. In the comics, Rick and Shane have their big showdown at the end of the first book. And then, when they figure out later on that everyone is infected and you don't have to be bitten to turn, Rick drives all the way back to where they buried Shane, digs him up, and shoots him in the head.

I think it's a good story arc, two guys who are like brothers before, slowly torn apart by the craziness of the world around them. It was inevitable that they were going to have it out, and only one of them was going to walk away. I agree that Shane could have been a good ongoing villain, but that's not the style in The Walking Dead. The villains tend to have a finite arc and a definite end, and then they move on to the next big bad. Both the show and the comics tend to follow this same pattern.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: The Walking Dead new [Re: DMala]
#336277 - 01/22/15 03:49 PM

I haven't read the comics but in the show it felt to me like they kept him around a little too long, he was already way past the breaking point, but they could have had that tension build up more slowly if they wanted. Some characters are a bit annoying and I wish would have left quicker like the old man with his leg cut off, whatever his name was, I was ready for him to go pretty quick. His little we can all get along speech on the prison ground had me cheering for the governor when he cut his head off.

yaggy
Coin-op fixer
Reged: 01/23/05
Loc: Philadelphia
Send PM

#336286 - 01/22/15 07:01 PM

This series really tries to milk to human drama element but never really nails it. There is definitely a lack of gut-wrenching hardships that caught my attention early (like the unexpected herd of undead when they first set up camp outside Atlanta in season one). There is also a serious lack of attention or involvement of the walkers. Season one finale gave viewers a little scientific teaser but that was it. Woodbury guy was doing some experiments, but that was also brief and limited. For being a major element of the series, they're kind of just used as something to advance the story. It's amazing they haven't dangled the carrot of hope through someone having had limited success in training them or controlling them with implants or other crazy stuff.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Send PM

#336293 - 01/22/15 09:14 PM

> I haven't read the comics but in the show it felt to me like they kept him around a
> little too long, he was already way past the breaking point, but they could have had
> that tension build up more slowly if they wanted. Some characters are a bit annoying
> and I wish would have left quicker like the old man with his leg cut off, whatever
> his name was, I was ready for him to go pretty quick. His little we can all get along
> speech on the prison ground had me cheering for the governor when he cut his head
> off.

That whole season on the farm kind of dragged. The could have chopped out about 1/3 of that whole season and not lost anything of value.

There are a lot of annoying characters, but I kind of liked Herschel. He was a little preachy sometimes, but he mellowed out a lot after he grew the Uncle Jesse beard.

Andrea (the blonde chick who was banging The Governor, if you're not big on names) is the character I wasn't sad to get rid of. Everything she said, everything she did, every decision she made was stupid. She even died in a stupid way. It's too bad, she's apparently still alive and a badass in the comics. On the show they've kind of spread her comic character among Carol, Sasha, and Maggie.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 149 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1987