MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

Any QI fans here ? ..... QI TV Show Companion (Unofficial)
#335463 - 12/27/14 03:57 AM

Here's a demo video of a program I have been working on:

QI TV Show Companion (Unofficial) - DEMO video
http://youtu.be/afh6eRoZSEU

Note: The latest version is a *lot* faster and has many more features. I'm waiting for a reply from the QI team before I decide how to proceed, what to release, etc. (For example, if they don't give me their blessing, then I cannot include panelist photos, transcripts, etc ???)

Any comments, feedback, etc, please reply here, or better yet, add it below the video on YouTube.

Moose

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: Any QI fans here ? ..... QI TV Show Companion (Unofficial) new [Re: Moose]
#335464 - 12/27/14 04:21 AM

Never heard of the show, but your program lokks kinda cool. You should make a MAME front end like this.

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

#335465 - 12/27/14 04:36 AM

> Here's a demo video of a program I have been working on:
>
> QI TV Show Companion (Unofficial) - DEMO video
> http://youtu.be/afh6eRoZSEU
>
> Note: The latest version is a *lot* faster and has many more features. I'm waiting
> for a reply from the QI team before I decide how to proceed, what to release, etc.
> (For example, if they don't give me their blessing, then I cannot include panelist
> photos, transcripts, etc ???)
>
> Any comments, feedback, etc, please reply here, or better yet, add it below the video
> on YouTube.

I rather like the idea and concept. Don't know if I would use it so much so often except like when you're researching or even just go "Oh! There was some episode on QI about it... It was .. Urm" *search*, but it's a nice idea. The only thing I'd say is the UI in the video version looks rather bland albeit functional. Maybe a bit more of a modern UI would make it stand out?

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

#335477 - 12/27/14 10:47 AM

Never heard of it (either), but the program seems fantastic... Utility wise! (searching for things).

If I could - I'd make one for Markiplier videos.

eta: Checked out the show. I'll be sure to watch more!

So yeah. (New) fan here.

eta: I searched for playlists of the show, all the ones I looked at were blocked in my country due to copyright...

'guess I'll catch only a few. Oh well.

Edited by Tomu Breidah (12/27/14 09:10 PM)

LEVEL-4

jeremymtc
Shot Maker
Reged: 01/09/07
Loc: Calimammy
Send PM

#335482 - 12/27/14 07:52 PM

> Here's a demo video of a program I have been working on:
>
> QI TV Show Companion (Unofficial) - DEMO video
> http://youtu.be/afh6eRoZSEU
>
> Note: The latest version is a *lot* faster and has many more features. I'm waiting
> for a reply from the QI team before I decide how to proceed, what to release, etc.
> (For example, if they don't give me their blessing, then I cannot include panelist
> photos, transcripts, etc ???)
>
> Any comments, feedback, etc, please reply here, or better yet, add it below the video
> on YouTube.

I love QI. To test the robustness of the search in your Companion software, I would search the term, "Alan Wins" -- might be interesting to see how that correlates to actual wins =)

Moose
Send PM

Re: Any QI fans here ? ..... QI TV Show Companion (Unofficial) new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#335487 - 12/28/14 03:25 AM

> Never heard of it (either), but the program seems fantastic... Utility wise!
> (searching for things).
>
> If I could - I'd make one for Markiplier videos.

Thanks Tomu !

My program will handle other TV shows ... I'm thinking of doing a Breaking Bad version as well .... a series I only discovered a few months ago and am watching now for the 2nd time. Brilliant !

For the searching part, the core thing is to find subtitle files or transcripts ...

If you don't want functionality or it isn't appropriate for a particular show / series, it's easy to delete stuff. e.g. If there aren't any panelists for example, then I could just turn off / hide or delete this tab.

If you need extra functionality, then I'd do my best to add it, especially if this might also be useful for QI or some other show.

> eta: Checked out the show. I'll be sure to watch more!
>
> So yeah. (New) fan here.

> eta: I searched for playlists of the show, all the ones I looked at were blocked in
> my country due to copyright...

Darn it. There's loads of QI episodes on YouTube, hope there's some there that you can watch. Here's a link to get you started:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=QI

Moose

Moose
Send PM

Re: Any QI fans here ? ..... QI TV Show Companion (Unofficial) new [Re: Naoki]
#335488 - 12/28/14 03:28 AM

> The only thing I'd say is
> the UI in the video version looks rather bland albeit functional. Maybe a bit more of
> a modern UI would make it stand out?

Thanks Naoki. The version in the video is only a prototype .... The latest version is nicer looking ... but yeah, graphics / art have never been my strong suit. My brother is a graphics designer .... I'm hoping he can help me smarten things up ...

Moose

Moose
Send PM

Re: Any QI fans here ? ..... QI TV Show Companion (Unofficial) new [Re: jeremymtc]
#335489 - 12/28/14 03:35 AM

> I love QI.

Awesome Jeremy !

> To test the robustness of the search in your Companion software, I would
> search the term, "Alan Wins" -- might be interesting to see how that correlates to
> actual wins =)

Ahhh, but this is a tricky one ... Stephen doesn't always use the phrase "win". For example, he might say something like this "And goodness me, in 1st place, it's Alan Davies with 3 points" or something similar.

The best / most accurate way to calculate something like "how many times Alan has won" would be to add the points people scored per episode into the program.

I haven't added this yet. I've resisted because I know what I'm like .... Once I add in support for the points each player scored per episode, I'll be calculating the highest point scorers, the most frequent winners, the averages points each player achieved, and then I'll be generating graphs to see trends and a whole host of other stuff. Trying to resist this for now. But no doubt it'll happen sooner or later ....

Moose

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

#335495 - 12/28/14 09:22 AM

> Darn it. There's loads of QI episodes on YouTube, hope there's some there that you
> can watch. Here's a link to get you started:
>

Haha. Oh, I can do that. I was just hoping/looking for a more complete collection of the shows. But every few, here and there will be fine for the time being.

LEVEL-4

Moose
Send PM

Re: Any QI fans here ? ..... QI TV Show Companion (Unofficial) new [Re: redk9258]
#335508 - 12/29/14 03:25 AM

> Never heard of the show, but your program lokks kinda cool. You should make a MAME
> front end like this.

Thanks Red

I actually made a MAME front end 12+ years ago (it doesn't work with recent versions of MAME because the command line parameters have changed .... need to update it). Here's some screen shots ... Naoki is probably gonna puke when he sees the UI.
http://moosevalley.fhost.com.au/pics/mametool.gif

Moose

Naoki
Send PM

#335509 - 12/29/14 03:32 AM

> > Never heard of the show, but your program lokks kinda cool. You should make a MAME
> > front end like this.
>
> Thanks Red
>
> I actually made a MAME front end 12+ years ago (it doesn't work with recent versions
> of MAME because the command line parameters have changed .... need to update it).
> Here's some screen shots ... Naoki is probably gonna puke when he sees the UI.
> http://moosevalley.fhost.com.au/pics/mametool.gif

All kidding aside, I can't do better at UI, let alone even make such a useful utility, the QI project or even the MAME front end!

Naoki
Send PM

#335510 - 12/29/14 03:33 AM

> > The only thing I'd say is
> > the UI in the video version looks rather bland albeit functional. Maybe a bit more
> of
> > a modern UI would make it stand out?
>
> Thanks Naoki. The version in the video is only a prototype .... The latest version is
> nicer looking ... but yeah, graphics / art have never been my strong suit. My brother
> is a graphics designer .... I'm hoping he can help me smarten things up ...

No worries, get it functioning properly then make it look pretty!

EDIT: Just went and had a look at your other programs, nice stuff! The only thing is that the Binary clock link gets redirected to the nixie clock version. The nixie is nice and all but I was curious about the binary one

Edited by Naoki (12/29/14 03:50 AM)

Moose
Send PM

Re: Any QI fans here ? ..... QI TV Show Companion (Unofficial) new [Re: Naoki]
#335521 - 12/29/14 03:16 PM

> EDIT: Just went and had a look at your other programs, nice stuff! The only thing is
> that the Binary clock link gets redirected to the nixie clock version. The nixie is
> nice and all but I was curious about the binary one

Sorry Naoki, thanks for letting me know. I've fixed the link. Here's the correct link:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/jymnyrymi0d/Binary_Clock.zip

Both of these clocks need some much nicer graphics / icons. If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

Naoki
Send PM

#335554 - 12/31/14 02:52 AM

> > EDIT: Just went and had a look at your other programs, nice stuff! The only thing
> is
> > that the Binary clock link gets redirected to the nixie clock version. The nixie is
> > nice and all but I was curious about the binary one
>
> Sorry Naoki, thanks for letting me know. I've fixed the link. Here's the correct
> link:
> http://www.mediafire.com/download/jymnyrymi0d/Binary_Clock.zip
>
> Both of these clocks need some much nicer graphics / icons. If you have any
> suggestions, please let me know.

Off the top of my head I don't have many ideas. How do you design your UIs? That is, what program are you using?

Currently I wear a binary watch, this one to be exact, formatted nicely and "easy" to read. Ever considered making a Windows gadget version (if there is even a way)?:

Moose
Send PM

Re: Any QI fans here ? ..... QI TV Show Companion (Unofficial) new [Re: redk9258]
#336608 - 02/02/15 02:44 AM

> Never heard of the show, but your program lokks kinda cool. You should make a MAME
> front end like this.

Great news - QI is now being broadcast on BBC America:

http://qi.com/announcements-qi-in-the-us

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 238 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2887