MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

The Theory of Everything broke my heart.
#335335 - 12/21/14 06:14 AM

Big time spoiler alert if you haven't seen this movie, which you should.

I've been a huge fan of Stephen Hawking since the 80's, when I was still in school. I was already taking courses on cosmology and astrophysics as electives for fun (nerd alert) when I encountered his theories, and then of course I read his book. This was at a time before I had my doctorate, and at that time I was so enamored by the science of cosmology, I ALMOST changed doctoral programs. That's what a huge fan i was of his... he almost changed the course of my life forever. In the end, I didn't, so of course I didn't get a doctorate in cosmology after all... but I've remained a huge fan of his, and read all his papers.

But of course I knew nothing of his private life.

Watching the movie, I was so proud of his wife, who stood by him through his trials and education, and loved him for the man inside. It's a rare woman who loves man for his mind. About Stephen's wife, I was like, now bully for her... she not only stuck by her nerdy science man, she loved and cared for him as disease ravaged his body too. She saw herself as just a smaller part of a bigger picture, and that takes courage.

Spoiler alert now.

And then he left her?!? What the hell, Stephen! I couldn't believe that was true. I had to Google that shit when I got home. Ok, ok. So I get that he was the bigger man to turn his cheek when she found a lover, even giving her permission sort of... but dude, she stood by you! And, for your sake, kept her private life a secret for your reputations sake. I know the movie took great pains to lesson the blow, and make it not seem so bad, and kind of show him to be selfless about it by letting her go... but in the end, yeah, he dumped her. Ugh. I don't ride on his wheels, so who's to judge. But if you're in the uber-nerd club, and a severely handicapped one at that, and life still manages to find love for you, man, you hang on to that shit!

Life isn't a fairytale after all it seems, not even for the immortal ones.

Edit to add: been doing some more reading. It seems he dumped his second wife, and is now close again with his first wife! Give that woman sainthood!

Edited by Gatinho (12/21/14 07:05 AM)

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Re: The Theory of Everything broke my heart. new [Re: GatKong]
#335336 - 12/21/14 08:46 AM

> Edit to add: been doing some more reading. It seems he dumped his second wife, and is
> now close again with his first wife! Give that woman sainthood!

The woman that has (or had) a lover... Okay, okay. I'm aware he's probably not capable of pleasuring a woman, and her being human -has a need for physical intimacy... in some form or fashion (meaning: NOT with Stephen).

Eh... anyway... To qualify for sainthood she'd have to live a life of celibacy. Just saying.

All around, not a perfect scenario (but nothing in life hardly ever is perfect). I guess they make the best of it despite the obstacles.

Can you imagine that, in that monotone, robotic/synthesized voice... "I want a divorce."

LEVEL-4

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

#335340 - 12/21/14 02:11 PM

Hi Gat, here's some others documentaries about Hawking that you might be interested in. They've been on TV here in Australia over the last years or so. You've probably seen them .... but just in case:

* Hawking: This drama documentary chronicles the life and work of the theoretical physicist Professor Stephen Hawking, who despite being diagnosed with motor neuron disease at the age of 21, has galvanized the scientific world with his groundbreaking work on the nature of the cosmos. (From the UK) (Drama) PG CC

* Stephen Hawking - A Brief History of Mine: This is the extraordinary story of the planet’s most famous living scientist, Stephen Hawking, told for the first time in his own words and by those closest to him. Made with unique access to Hawking’s private life, this is an intimate and moving journey into Stephen's world, both past and present. An inspirational portrait of an iconic figure, Hawking relates his incredible personal journey from boyhood under-achiever, to PhD genius, to being diagnosed with Motor Neuron Disease and given just two years to live. Despite the constant threat of death, Hawking has continued to make many remarkable scientific discoveries, and his bravery which has influenced his inspirational life has propelled him to fame and super-stardom. (From the UK) (Documentary) G CC

I'm currently reading his book "A Brief History of Time" ....

Moose

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Re: The Theory of Everything broke my heart. new [Re: Moose]
#335341 - 12/21/14 02:38 PM

> I'm currently reading his book "A Brief History of Time" ....

The newer edition?

I read the book back when it was first published....

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Re: The Theory of Everything broke my heart. new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#335344 - 12/21/14 06:54 PM

> I'm aware he's probably not capable of pleasuring a woman

To the contrary, his disease affects motor neurons, not the autonomic system. He fathered three children with his wife. Granted she was probably always on top, but maybe she was from Texas? Ride em cowgirl!

Edit:
For the robotic voice... "Oh baby, oh Baby! Ughhhh"

I had that speech synthesizer on my C64 which sounds exactly like Stephen's (maybe was one in the same?) and we made it say all kinds of hilarious things. I'll never forget that robotic "Eat me beat suck me fuck me"

Edited by Gatinho (12/21/14 06:57 PM)

Moose
Send PM

#335348 - 12/22/14 01:48 AM Attachment: Hawking - special Message for Gatinho.mp3 0 KB (4 downloads)

> Edit:
> For the robotic voice... "Oh baby, oh Baby! Ughhhh"
>
> I had that speech synthesizer on my C64 which sounds exactly like Stephen's (maybe
> was one in the same?) and we made it say all kinds of hilarious things. I'll never
> forget that robotic "Eat me beat suck me fuck me"

Heh, heh, maybe something like the attached message ?

Attachments aren't working, so here it is on YouTube:

Edited by Moose (12/22/14 02:17 AM)

Moose

URherenow
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Fail new [Re: Moose]
#335349 - 12/22/14 02:17 AM

Attachments still broken

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

Moose
Send PM

Re: Fail new [Re: URherenow]
#335350 - 12/22/14 02:18 AM

> Attachments still broken

Uploaded to YT - see above.

Moose

URherenow
Loc: Japan
Send PM

#335351 - 12/22/14 02:26 AM

SAM, or Talking Sam. Something like that. My brother was using it as a back-end for a program called "Say Math". Unfortunately he never quite finished it though. I think I made an image of that disk, so I could post it if there was any interest (when attachments get fixed). I can't remember the steps to run it though. Pretty sure Sam ( or Say it?) had to be loaded first, then say math, possibly followed by a SYS command.

Even more unfortunate, I believe he also used some trickery (compiling program or something) so you can't simply load it and "list" the code...

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

Sune
Connected
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: The Theory of Everything broke my heart. new [Re: URherenow]
#335359 - 12/22/14 06:44 AM

> SAM, or Talking Sam. Something like that.

Sam's Reciter.

S

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Sucks being human, huhn? (nt) new [Re: GatKong]
#335378 - 12/22/14 09:43 PM

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 142 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3235