View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Renegade
Got No Where Else to Go
Reged: 10/01/03
Send PM

Need some computer help
#334992 - 12/08/14 11:14 PM

okay problem is shop computer crashed and mobo fried, installed old harddrive into new computer so that the accounting programs,back ups, etc would be accessible.

no problems adding harddrive it shows up and is accessible. now the problem, our accounting program wont start, I get a dll error, I pulled the needed dll from the old harddrive system32 file and dropped it into the new computers system32 folder. I unregistered the dll and then reregistered it. Still when I try to start the program which is still on the old harddrive I get an error stating that the Dll file cant be found...

so what am I missing here? old harddrive shows up and accessible, the dll is now installed in the new computers windows/system32 folder, the accounting program is set up to run in wind xp compatibility mode installed on the harddrive, but yet dll error.

Now the downer part, we can't find the original install disc, so any work around to get this program running would be greatly appreciated !

thanks guys,

Only here to annoy...

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: Need some computer help new [Re: Renegade]
#334995 - 12/09/14 12:32 AM

Might be better to make an image of the HDD and convert it to a virtual hard disk file (VHD, VHDK, etc.). Then run it in Virtual PC, Virtual Box or similar. Symantec Ghost Solution Suite, Symantec System Recovery, probably Acronis TI and I'm sure others can do this.

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

#334997 - 12/09/14 12:56 AM

> so what am I missing here? old harddrive shows up and accessible, the dll is now
> installed in the new computers windows/system32 folder, the accounting program is set
> up to run in wind xp compatibility mode installed on the harddrive, but yet dll
> error.
>
> Now the downer part, we can't find the original install disc, so any work around to
> get this program running would be greatly appreciated !

Could be any number of things. Any suggestions I give here would be just shooting fish in a barrel. The DLL error could be a symptom of something else .... even a missing / incomplete / invalid registry key.

Red's suggestion of creating an image of your hard-drive and running it under VirtualBox or similar is spot on. Do this.

If this doesn't work, here's some other suggestions:

(1). Contact the developers for your accounting program and explain your situation to them. If they are any decent, they should bend over backwards to get you up and running again.

(2). Type the exact error message into Google and see what you can find.

(3). Provide the image file to someone with good debugging / disassembling skills you trust and see if they can help ?? Delete any sensitive data 1st ?

Moose

Renegade
Got No Where Else to Go
Reged: 10/01/03
Send PM

Re: Need some computer help new [Re: Moose]
#334999 - 12/09/14 01:26 AM

Yeah i hav a feeling its a registry key issue. The new computer wouldnt have the reg.key since i didnt install thru that windows version. I would prob have to find the registry on the old harddrive and find which keys go to this program and install them to the new windows registry.
Does this sound possible ?

Oh by the way our program is 2000 so its 14 yrs old and has been superceded at least 3 times, its way outdated but the thing is it does everything we needed it todo. Besides i needed back into the program to read all the invoices for the last year.
Tax time being right around the corner :-(

Only here to annoy...

Pi
Allergic to life
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Room 101
Send PM

#335001 - 12/09/14 02:05 AM

> Yeah i hav a feeling its a registry key issue. The new computer wouldnt have the
> reg.key since i didnt install thru that windows version. I would prob have to find
> the registry on the old harddrive and find which keys go to this program and install
> them to the new windows registry.
> Does this sound possible ?

It is possible but your mileage might vary. While it sounds more complex, doing an image and running your old system with Virtual Box will give you much better results.

If you want to try the registry method, you need to locate the right ntuser.dat, which is the file which contains the registry hive, and use an external program to read it. First hits in google point to two seemingly useful pages:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windo...53-50ae291716db
http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=17927

The last post in the second link talks about RegFileExport which might be just exactly what you need. Export the whole hive as a .reg file, open it in any text editor, and search/edit until happy.

Good luck and always-backup-very-important-data-in-non-propietary-formats.

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.
I can't get it right / Get it right / Since I met you...

trickyd
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/05/10
Send PM

#335004 - 12/09/14 03:21 AM

You could setup your accounting program to another drive and then slave your old drive to it and copy data over.

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#335005 - 12/09/14 04:17 AM

Try putting the DLL in the same directory with the program's exe file. Sometimes that works.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#335011 - 12/09/14 06:39 AM

Make a virtual machine that boots from the dead computer's hard disk, or use something like VMWare P2V to make a virtual hard disk image suitable for a VM from it. Then you'll have a better approximation of the environment it ran in.

URherenow
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Japan
Send PM

sounds tedious new [Re: Pi]
#335015 - 12/09/14 08:56 AM

But also... did you happen to move from a 32bit OS to a 64bit OS? If you did, the DLL most likely belongs in SysWOW64, not system32. Same thing for registry keys that go with it. Doesn't matter if the software was made that way or not. If Windows detects it as a 32bit program, it will automatically redirect searches for .dlls and registry keys to the SysWOW64 area.

Figured that one out when trying to make an old shareware screen saver work (voodoolights) with my purchased code.

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 450 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2279