MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Pr3tty F1y
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/18/05
Send PM

Rapid Fire / Autofire / Turbo in Emulators That Don't Natively Support It?
#334764 - 11/30/14 06:32 PM

Are there any programs that can run in the background and intercept SDL or DirectInput gamepad/joystick inputs to produce rapid fire/autofire/turbo input (or whatever you want to call it) in applications that do not natively support it?

This isn't necessarily MAME specific, but I haven't been able to find a solution to what I want.

I know I could use JoyToKey and map gamepad buttons to keyboard inputs and then use something like AutoHotKey to create the rapid fire effect, but that's a fairly complicated solution. I would prefer to avoid simulating keyboard input, but I'm not sure if that is even feasible if the gamepad driver doesn't natively support autofire. I'm guessing you'd have to have some sort of dummy dll to catch inputs, but I'm still hoping that there would be a background program that could handle this.

Any thoughts?

sirscotty
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/28/04
Send PM

Re: Rapid Fire / Autofire / Turbo in Emulators That Don't Natively Support It? new [Re: Pr3tty F1y]
#334790 - 12/01/14 02:34 PM

There are USB adapters to connect Genesis and SNES controllers to the PC. Get one of them and a controller that supports the functions you want, and you are golden. I have several. I am more a classic gamer (2600, Colecovision etc...) but I do like a few games from the 16-bit era.

Pr3tty F1y
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/18/05
Send PM

Re: Rapid Fire / Autofire / Turbo in Emulators That Don't Natively Support It? new [Re: sirscotty]
#334806 - 12/02/14 04:09 AM

> There are USB adapters to connect Genesis and SNES controllers to the PC. Get one of
> them and a controller that supports the functions you want, and you are golden. I
> have several. I am more a classic gamer (2600, Colecovision etc...) but I do like a
> few games from the 16-bit era.

That's actually what got me thinking about this. For my SNES, I had an adapter that was placed between your gamepad and the system's controller port called a Power Plug (by Tyco):

I was hoping that there would be a software solution that could act as a software version of the Power Plug, even if it only was limited to autofire (however, if it could record macros and map them to keys too, that would be awesome). I'm guessing the software solution I am looking for doesn't exist, but I was holding out hope.

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: Rapid Fire / Autofire / Turbo in Emulators That Don't Natively Support It? new [Re: Pr3tty F1y]
#334809 - 12/02/14 05:45 AM

> I know I could use JoyToKey and map gamepad buttons to keyboard inputs and then use
> something like AutoHotKey to create the rapid fire effect, but that's a fairly
> complicated solution.

JoyToKey can do autofire, scroll down to "Button Assignment Window":

http://joytokey.net/en/overview

S

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#334811 - 12/02/14 06:26 AM

You could always get one of these SNES to USB adapters and combine it with the Power Plug and a SNES controller

http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=29

Edited by krick (12/02/14 06:30 AM)

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

sirscotty
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/28/04
Send PM

Re: Rapid Fire / Autofire / Turbo in Emulators That Don't Natively Support It? new [Re: krick]
#334814 - 12/02/14 02:42 PM

This is what I use....

http://bliss-box.net/Bliss-Box/products-Bliss-Box.html

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 223 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 6263