MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

JonBoyRetro
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/25/11
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

Space Duel emulation not 100%?
#333871 - 10/28/14 12:34 AM

So I'm a big Space Duel fan and used to play this game a lot in Dayville's ice cream parlour, Birmingham England. It is a very smooth and fluid game. However, playing it in MAME I'm not convinced the emulation is 100% correct as it is neither fluid or smooth.

Watch the attract mode when the two little ships come on, one on top of each other. Each ship seems to appear twice - slightly offset. A sort of double-image.

If you pause the game, you will see what I mean as you will only see the *one* outline of a ship which is correct.

So something just doesn't look right.

In fact, playing the game shows the double-image even with normal gameplay. The rocks move slowly so they don't suffer from this problem - but your ship does - as do other fast moving objects.

It's like the refresh is happening at 15fps or 20fps if I didn't know better.

Can someone possibly check this out to confirm?

God, I miss those dark, musty arcades ....

grog
Reged: 09/06/11
Send PM

Re: Space Duel emulation not 100%? new [Re: JonBoyRetro]
#333882 - 10/28/14 03:23 AM

Hey Gary, i had a look at it, are u using latest mame for the test, and without hlsl or any changes to the default vector settings?
it's nice and smooth for me and i didnt see the doubling effect here.
enabling cheats in mame (done by setting cheat 1 in mame.ini), allows you to then go into the slider controls menu and view/change the screen refresh rate for a game. with latest mame release, this game shows as having a screen refresh rate of 61.523, which i believe is correct (see here: http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=281577)
maybe if the monitor you are using is set at 60hz, you might experience some smoothness issues. do a test with triple buffer on, waitvsync off. try without hlsl, with default vector settings, and multithreading off. if still no success do a little test of switching between directdraw/direct3d to see if that changes anything. i'm wondering, if u have some scaling going on, that maybe this is causing some of the gfx to look 'repeated' or doubled (eg. maybe your 'switch resolutions to fit' option needs to be checked).

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/06
Send PM

Re: Space Duel emulation not 100%? new [Re: grog]
#333887 - 10/28/14 04:39 AM

I agree with everything grog said. It plays 100% fine on my end. Graphics are very smooth. No doubling effect. I'm playing it with hlsl enabled. Using 64 bit version of current MAME.

Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
32GB DDR4 RAM

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: Space Duel emulation not 100%? new [Re: Envisaged0ne]
#333890 - 10/28/14 05:44 AM

> I agree with everything grog said. It plays 100% fine on my end. Graphics are very
> smooth. No doubling effect. I'm playing it with hlsl enabled. Using 64 bit version of
> current MAME.

Same here. Runs at 100% consistently and I can't see anything wrong with this game.

JonBoyRetro
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Space Duel emulation not 100%? new [Re: grog]
#333891 - 10/28/14 11:47 AM

Cheers Grog and everyone. I'll check it out later. Interestingly, my asteroids does run smooth. It's only Space Duel!

JonBoyRetro
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Space Duel emulation not 100%? new [Re: JonBoyRetro]
#333946 - 10/29/14 01:53 PM

Okay, so I tried mameUIfix last night - and it has pretty much cured all of the problems. I have set 'throttle' off, sync-to-monitor-refresh on, refresh-speed on (no triple buffering and frame-skipping is unchecked). Space Duel now runs mirror smooth and the big space ship in Asteroids no longer hesitates every second or so as it travels. Sound is fine. Note that the Irem stuff which moves at 55fps is now slightly faster. This doesn't bother me as Image Fight and Legend of Hero Tonma are also mirror-smooth.

Thanks to Grog for useful links to the correct settings and pointing me at mameUIfix.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 417 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1669