MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

DU: We finally got Galaxy Force
#333808 - 10/26/14 03:10 AM

Shoutime got the impossibly rare original Galaxy Force (not part II). Almost every PCB was upgraded because some of the changes were bug fixes. We have tried to get it for years. Several of us have bought untested boards in the past that had the Galaxy Force (not part II) sticker on the board thinking it might be part I but they always ended up being part II. It has a pain in the ass harness setup so most sellers could not boot to the title screen to check. Anyway I had given up on finding it because of the problems I have listed. It's amazing that he got this. It was really expensive so if anyone can help then send what you can to Shoutime. Send me a message if you need his paypal address and I'll see if I can get donators credited on the dump.

http://smitdogg.mameworld.info/pics/galaxyforce-a.jpeg
http://smitdogg.mameworld.info/pics/galaxyforce-b.jpeg

Thanks so far for pledges/donations from:

Dulleron
Tom Braider
MooglyGuy
Rygar9
Moose
B2K24
Mucci

fortuna_chan
Por que yo hablo español muy bien.
Reged: 06/01/08
Send PM

Re: DU: We finally got Galaxy Force new [Re: Smitdogg]
#333809 - 10/26/14 03:23 AM

Fantastic, is a version 1 of Galaxy force...

Or maybe is a proto, like Passing shot

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: DU: We finally got Galaxy Force new [Re: fortuna_chan]
#333810 - 10/26/14 03:26 AM

It's not technically a proto but the line separating proto and non-proto is very fuzzy. It does have bugs bad enough to where they tried to upgrade every single cab sold, as far as I know/can tell.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#333815 - 10/26/14 05:39 AM

THANK YOU! Shoutime

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

#333819 - 10/26/14 07:42 AM

>Shoutime got the impossibly rare original Galaxy Force (not part II). Almost every PCB
>was upgraded because some of the changes were bug fixes. We have tried to get it for
>years. Several of us have bought untested boards in the past that had the Galaxy Force
>(not part II) sticker on the board thinking it might be part I but they always ended up
>being part II.

Congrats to Shoutime for that. Has to be one of the longer searches for any remaining games that were not bug fixed/upgraded to run a different version of the game or an entirely different game. Good to see the challenge is now over.

The other games that come to mind where it was also a challenge to find pcbs that were not upgraded or modified to run a new game are Hard Times and revision A of Space Bomber.

--
Hard Times http://www.progettoemma.net/gioco.php?game=hrdtimes

This game is extremely difficult to find because nearly all Hard Times PCBs have been converted into "Hot Mind" boards

Space Bomber http://www.progettoemma.net/gioco.php?game=sbombera

- 25th January 2011: Smitdogg - We got the original Space Bomber. Most of the boards were converted to Version B so this one is pretty rare.
--

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#333824 - 10/26/14 02:27 PM

Wow, this really is huge news! Thanks a million ShouTime.

Closed Account
Reged: 10/16/07
Send PM

#333826 - 10/26/14 04:29 PM

Congratulations. Finally!

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: DU: We finally got Galaxy Force new [Re: gregf]
#333859 - 10/27/14 04:17 PM

> Congrats to Shoutime for that. Has to be one of the longer searches for any
> remaining games that were not bug fixed/upgraded to run a different version of the
> game or an entirely different game. Good to see the challenge is now over.

There are plenty of other challenges, some are going to be much harder.

The original Japanese DDR for instance.

gamez fan
Reged: 02/23/13
Send PM

#333861 - 10/27/14 04:58 PM

Daft question time Any differences between Galaxy Force and Galaxy Force Part II apart from the bug fixes

Arcade Addict

HowardC
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/15/04
Send PM

Re: DU: We finally got Galaxy Force new [Re: gamez fan]
#333862 - 10/27/14 06:15 PM

This is just going by memory and keep in mind how old that game is, but much like afterburner II, galaxy force II is just the non-buggy version of the game.

I think the only gameplay difference you are going to notice is that in the original you fired the 4 missiles individually and in II they all fire at once.

Diet Go Go Fan
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/18/06
Send PM

Re: DU: We finally got Galaxy Force new [Re: ]
#333865 - 10/27/14 07:27 PM

"Metal Soldier Issac" will be much harder to find.
http://mamedev.emulab.it/undumped/index.php?title=Metal_Soldier_Isaac

jonwil
Lurker
Reged: 10/06/03
Send PM

Re: DU: We finally got Galaxy Force new [Re: HowardC]
#333870 - 10/27/14 11:39 PM

If its basically just a bug fix version why did Sega label it "Galaxy Force 2"? To make it easier to tell if a machine had been upgraded with the fix?

ShouTime
PCB Collector
Reged: 11/25/11
Loc: Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way
Send PM

Re: DU: We finally got Galaxy Force new [Re: HowardC]
#333873 - 10/28/14 01:08 AM

> This is just going by memory and keep in mind how old that game is, but much like
> afterburner II, galaxy force II is just the non-buggy version of the game.
>
> I think the only gameplay difference you are going to notice is that in the original
> you fired the 4 missiles individually and in II they all fire at once.

Stage layouts are totally different. It only has 4 of the 6 stages seen in II and is a much harder game.

Dumped: 3on3 DUNK MADNESS US, A.B. Cop JP, AIR INFERNO JP, AquaJack US, BATTLE SHARK Joystick, CRACKIN' DJ PART 2 JP, DOUBLE AXLE DX US, ENFORCE W, GP RIDER JP, GUN SURVIVOR 2 JP/W, GUNBUSTER US, GUNHARD, HANG PILOT US, Ikari III JP, JET WAVE JP, Last Survivor, MARS TV JP, MAZAN US, NINJA ASSAULT JP/W, OutRunners JP, Panic ROAD DE, PUNCH-OUT!! JP, Radirgy Ver. A, SPACE GUN JP/US, STARBLADE W, SUPER RANGER DE, SUZUKA 8 Hours 2 JP, TERRA FORCE JP, THUNDER ZONE JP, Western Express JP

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#333883 - 10/28/14 03:23 AM

lolwut. This is the only Galaxy Force left in existence literally, found in a country halfway across the world from him and took months of negotiations and trade plans to get. And you think DDR Japan would be that hard, don't think so bud.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#333885 - 10/28/14 04:23 AM

> lolwut. This is the only Galaxy Force left in existence literally, found in a country
> halfway across the world from him and took months of negotiations and trade plans to
> get. And you think DDR Japan would be that hard, don't think so bud.

Just sent him a Donation to his Gmail. Thanks again for yet another rare gem preserved

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#333902 - 10/28/14 04:29 PM

> And you think DDR Japan would be that hard, don't think so bud.

DDR took way more money than Galaxy Force ever did, keeping up to date with the mixes was way more important.

The CD for the original version only contains audio, as far as we know the program only existed in the factory and in the flash chips of each board. It will require an owner who resisted installing the internet ranking version, 2nd mix & 3rd mix.

If there is even the slightest possibility of it existing, it will be in a Japanese collection which we will never have access to.

It is more likely that Konami will release it for free than it ever being dumped.

Edited by smf (10/28/14 04:34 PM)

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#333908 - 10/28/14 05:05 PM

If shoutime cared half as much about getting it as he did galaxy force and others then he could get it and it would not be nearly as hard as as getting galaxy force, is all I'm saying. It's not galaxy force, it's a DDR game he doesn't want.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

#333910 - 10/28/14 05:50 PM

> If shoutime cared half as much about getting it as he did galaxy force and others
> then he could get it and it would not be nearly as hard as as getting galaxy force,
> is all I'm saying. It's not galaxy force, it's a DDR game he doesn't want.

Well let's say hypothetically that someone were willing to stump up the entire total money for an unmodified DDR 1st Mix board and disc as long as the price wasn't batshit insane, would he track it down then?

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: DU: We finally got Galaxy Force new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#333914 - 10/28/14 06:46 PM

You can ask him but in my past conversations with him if it's a game he has zero interest in then he isn't going to buy it just because it's rare and personal interest is the biggest motivator. I think it's like that for almost everybody. I have no idea what his view is on DDR.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#333927 - 10/29/14 03:43 AM

> Shoutime got the impossibly rare original Galaxy Force (not part II).

This is great news!

- Stiletto

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#333960 - 10/29/14 06:19 PM

> If shoutime cared half as much about getting it as he did galaxy force and others
> then he could get it and it would not be nearly as hard as as getting galaxy force,

You might be right about shoutime, but you either know where there is an original DDR or you're guessing at how hard it would be to find.

Whether shoutime cares or not is irrelevant, every dump is important.

Edited by smf (10/29/14 06:20 PM)

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#333961 - 10/29/14 06:26 PM

It sounds like you are trying to play some game to make me want to look for it, which won't be working out for you. It doesn't get anymore difficult than the gf situation but believe what you want.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#333979 - 10/30/14 12:52 AM

> It sounds like you are trying to play some game to make me want to look for it, which
> won't be working out for you.

I truly expect that there is no copy of the game left. Whatever angle you think I'm playing, you are wrong.

ShouTime
PCB Collector
Send PM

#333988 - 10/30/14 06:01 AM

> > It sounds like you are trying to play some game to make me want to look for it,
> which
> > won't be working out for you.
>
> I truly expect that there is no copy of the game left. Whatever angle you think I'm
> playing, you are wrong.

I generally don't collect rhythm games. I have little interest in them beyond the Sega titles which I have.

IIRC, the original DDR runs on 573 which uses an RTC. Undoubtedly, most are dead and have been scrapped in Japan. I do know several Konami rhythm game collectors though and they have extensive collections for pop'n music and other series but due to the size of DDR cabs, I have never seen people collect them but I can check.

Dumped: 3on3 DUNK MADNESS US, A.B. Cop JP, AIR INFERNO JP, AquaJack US, BATTLE SHARK Joystick, CRACKIN' DJ PART 2 JP, DOUBLE AXLE DX US, ENFORCE W, GP RIDER JP, GUN SURVIVOR 2 JP/W, GUNBUSTER US, GUNHARD, HANG PILOT US, Ikari III JP, JET WAVE JP, Last Survivor, MARS TV JP, MAZAN US, NINJA ASSAULT JP/W, OutRunners JP, Panic ROAD DE, PUNCH-OUT!! JP, Radirgy Ver. A, SPACE GUN JP/US, STARBLADE W, SUPER RANGER DE, SUZUKA 8 Hours 2 JP, TERRA FORCE JP, THUNDER ZONE JP, Western Express JP

TknoMncr
Lurker
Reged: 09/22/03
Send PM

Re: DU: We finally got Galaxy Force new [Re: ShouTime]
#333989 - 10/30/14 06:36 AM

> IIRC, the original DDR runs on 573 which uses an RTC. Undoubtedly, most are dead and
> have been scrapped in Japan. I do know several Konami rhythm game collectors though
> and they have extensive collections for pop'n music and other series but due to the
> size of DDR cabs, I have never seen people collect them but I can check.

Thanks for even considering to do this, but more so, thank you for everything you do and have done. I specifically went out and bought a hat just so I could take my hat off to you.

TknoMncr

ShouTime
PCB Collector
Send PM

Re: DU: We finally got Galaxy Force new [Re: TknoMncr]
#333996 - 10/30/14 08:41 AM

So, I have located a collector with the DDR1 disc. He told me that when 2 came out that Konami just took the DDR1 security cart and wrote over it with the DDR2 code so more than likely, most original 1 carts were converted. Apparently, for the Bemani 573, the RTC dying doesn't disable the game.

Edit: I was told of a location which still has a dedicated DDR1.

Edited by ShouTime (10/30/14 09:33 AM)

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#333998 - 10/30/14 10:38 AM

> So, I have located a collector with the DDR1 disc. He told me that when 2 came out
> that Konami just took the DDR1 security cart and wrote over it with the DDR2 code so
> more than likely, most original 1 carts were converted. Apparently, for the Bemani
> 573, the RTC dying doesn't disable the game.
>
>
> Edit: I was told of a location which still has a dedicated DDR1.

There are a couple of 573 games that get upset if the RTC dies and won't run until it's reprogrammed, but it's usually just a specific game code that needs to be stored there & it's easy to fix that.

The cart isn't the problem, pretty much all the carts in MAME have been built by hand.

There is flash on the motherboard that stores the game program, which gets overwritten when you install a new game. Most games have the program on the CD, except for the original DDR which just has an audio file with the bishi bashi theme on it.

We have the B revision of DDR1 (internet ranking version), which is what usually turns up on DDR1 cabinets. I don't read Japanese but the title screen appears to say which version it is (the word VER is in English). In test mode in the bottom right the one we have says JB. I don't know if it was a paid upgrade, but as it encoded your score in an onscreen code that could be posted on konami's web page there would have been a lot of pressure by players to have it installed.

If you do find the original A revision then currently de-soldering the flash is the only way to dump it, although I will be working on a CD/BIOS/flash card (*) that will dump the contents over RS232 as there are some other 573 games that were released without a CD drive & it'll be easier if it can be dumped in place.

(*) at least one of these, maybe all.

Edited by smf (10/30/14 10:50 AM)

ShouTime
PCB Collector
Send PM

#334003 - 10/30/14 01:35 PM

OK, let me know how the tool goes. I will speak to some operators next week about locating a unit. It would be extremely difficult to get one to lend a board for desoldering.

I've found someone who has all DDRs from 2 to Max.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#334010 - 10/30/14 03:57 PM

> I've found someone who has all DDRs from 2 to Max.

Including Dance Dance Revolution Karaoke Mix / Dance Dance Revolution Karaoke 2nd Mix ?

http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=825&gid=2615#2615

and Dance Dance Revolution Kids ?

http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=822&gid=2565#2565

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: Galaxy Force...btw new [Re: Smitdogg]
#334029 - 10/30/14 10:58 PM

--
http://mamedev.emulab.it/haze/2014/01/16/ume-0-152ex2/

January 16th, 2014

Haze: "It’s also great to see another one of the Sega CPUs read out before they all die so a huge thanks must go to Shoutime for his work on digging up these clones once again! (now if only we could find the original Galaxy Force release)."

--

ShouTime knows when it is time to crack the whip to make certain MAMEdevs jump on command. *kidding* But it is interesting coming across an old comment/thought wish list and now seeing it come true. I predict Haze will be the one working on getting this emulated.

And as before, my congrats to ShouTime for finding this game.

ShouTime
PCB Collector
Send PM

#334043 - 10/31/14 06:46 AM

> > I've found someone who has all DDRs from 2 to Max.
>
> Including Dance Dance Revolution Karaoke Mix / Dance Dance Revolution Karaoke 2nd Mix
> ?
>
> http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=825&gid=2615#2615
>
> and Dance Dance Revolution Kids ?
>
> http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=822&gid=2565#2565

He doesn't have Kids but has the cab for Karaoke.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#334048 - 10/31/14 11:37 AM

> He doesn't have Kids but has the cab for Karaoke.

Nice, what about a working board set or a manual? We have no idea what hardware it runs on, there was speculation it was hard drive based.

The DDR Kids manual doesn't tell you much about the hardware, but it looks like it's not 573 based.

Edited by smf (10/31/14 11:56 AM)

ShouTime
PCB Collector
Send PM

#334054 - 10/31/14 01:46 PM

> > He doesn't have Kids but has the cab for Karaoke.
>
> Nice, what about a working board set or a manual? We have no idea what hardware it
> runs on, there was speculation it was hard drive based.
>
> The DDR Kids manual doesn't tell you much about the hardware, but it looks like it's
> not 573 based.

Cab as in fully working unit. I asked him to take a look at it.

-Mitaine-
SEGA Junkie
Reged: 10/27/13
Send PM

Huge thanks to Shoutime, Smitdogg and everyone involved new [Re: Smitdogg]
#334100 - 11/01/14 03:45 PM

This is a milestone for arcade history preservation.

It's heartwarming to see that even though MAME is not moving as fast as it used to, both long-time contributors and new faces still bring some amazing breakthroughs that are as satisfying and significant as the more flashy achievements of NeoGeo etc (15 years ago !). The recent Sega stuff in particular is especially dear to me !

THANK YOU GUYS !

gamerfan
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/01/10
Send PM

#334172 - 11/03/14 01:29 PM

Do you know when you get a chance to dump Cyber Sterra? I'm looking forward to see that game added in the future.

CaH4e3
Demul coder
Reged: 08/17/08
Send PM

#334198 - 11/04/14 01:52 AM

I see here are many things to happen I'd like to see if there is a Naomi F355 deluxe Japanese set (not twin, EPR-21902) BIOSs exists. Unlike Twin cabinets, which uses the regular export BIOSes, the earlier ones uses it's own link code, so you couldn't run this game without the dedicated BIOS...

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 606 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 7709