MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Stranno
Reged: 01/28/10
Loc: León, Spain
Send PM

Are the Nintendo's Virtual Console emulators from Nintendo?
#333713 - 10/23/14 03:59 PM

Because i swapped Winback in other VC officially supported game, just to be sure, not piracy purpose in any way, and it have a very specific classic error in Nintendo 64 emulation, grey square floating around the screen (only fixed by pokefan in non-released ACE64, as far as i know).

Are those emulators illegally commercialized versions of free emulators?

Have anyone digged into the code?

I think its not Nintendo native emulation coz its so bad, even for Wii. Looks more like an unoptimized port work.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: Are the Nintendo's Virtual Console emulators from Nintendo? new [Re: Stranno]
#333715 - 10/23/14 05:13 PM

I would almost guarantee that the emulators are Nintendo's own doing, the reason why you would see such a common error is because I'm sure even Nintendo themselves are doing HLE, there's no way in hell to do low-level N64 emulation on a Wii or Wii U. Every N64 emulator would have the issue you describe because every "emulator" is largely a hack-job that doesn't really deserve to be called emulation since it doesn't actually emulate the GPU or vector coprocessor.

Keep in mind, Nintendo have been doing N64 emulation since the Wind Waker days, I'm sure I'm not the only person who bought the special edition that came with an emulated version of Ocarina of Time.

Basically, you're being paranoid. The low quality of the N64 emulation is because N64 emulation quite simply is low quality, period, when it's done using HLE techniques, and that's the only technique that will get something running full-speed on a Wii. Why do you think Nintendo are so highly selective in what N64 games they've released on Virtual Console?

Stranno
Send PM

Re: Are the Nintendo's Virtual Console emulators from Nintendo? new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#333716 - 10/23/14 05:28 PM

Well, playing Mario Party (Mario Party) with frameskip and minnor glitches is not the closest experience to the real game to label it like Virtual Console, maybe Virtual Mess.

I know is HLE but this error is so specific i find hard to belive is fortuity. There are other common errors and hacks that could be the best way to tackle problems but not this one, i think.

I'm just curious about the legal status of their emulators. Not my intention to blame Nintendo for such lets say poor emulation. I dont play VC at all, only some Wiiware titles.

Ziggy100
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/14/08
Send PM

Re: Are the Nintendo's Virtual Console emulators from Nintendo? new [Re: Stranno]
#333725 - 10/23/14 07:35 PM

Nintendo pretty much nailed Wave Race 64 on the Virtual Wii emulator.

Try it on the Dolphin emulator...it's pretty much perfect even though your using a Gamecube/Wii emulator to emulate a Nintendo 64!!

This is it running on Dolphin at 4x Native resolution:

It even runs at the correct 20fps!!

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

#333738 - 10/24/14 12:25 AM

> Well, playing Mario Party (Mario Party) with frameskip and minnor glitches is not the
> closest experience to the real game to label it like Virtual Console, maybe Virtual
> Mess.
>
> I know is HLE but this error is so specific i find hard to belive is fortuity. There
> are other common errors and hacks that could be the best way to tackle problems but
> not this one, i think.

Okay so maybe this is just a language barrier issue here, but you said:

> grey square floating around the screen (only fixed by pokefan in non-released ACE64, as far as i know)

If it's "only been fixed by pokefan in non-released ACE64", that means that it's a very common issue that would affect any N64 emulator that emulates the N64 using HLE. Nintendo is obviously using HLE. Therefore, Nintendo's emulator will in fact have all of these common issues. I don't see what you're not understanding here.

Stranno
Send PM

Re: Are the Nintendo's Virtual Console emulators from Nintendo? new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#333856 - 10/27/14 11:36 AM

I still find that and some other errors somewhat suspicious but its ok, it might be an original Nintendo emulador. I'm no that curious to keep arguing.

Wave Race 64 seems to work pretty much ok but i came three months after the console in Japan, i dont think its as complex as WinBack.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#333905 - 10/28/14 04:53 PM

> I still find that and some other errors somewhat suspicious but its ok, it might be
> an original Nintendo emulador. I'm no that curious to keep arguing.

Like Moogly said, there's a common set of errors that all HLE emulators show, Mupen or 1964 or whatever. Many of those errors derive from the fact that HLE doesn't properly emulate the N64 and not from any specific implementation of the HLE.

If you actually care about the quality of the game's reproduction, you've bought an N64 from eBay and you're playing that, like most speedrunners have (HLE emulators, VC included, run the games at a faster framerate than hardware).

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 405 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2397