MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Identify this Bronze Age game
#333341 - 10/17/14 06:50 AM Attachment: blitz.jpg 188 KB (0 downloads)

So, here's another Pong-era game to be identified, discovered by the American Classic Arcade Museum (ACAM). Seems to be a 3-in-1 game ("Blitz", "Thumper Bumper", "Tennis").

https://www.facebook.com/162639127324/photos/a.277474597324.119963.162639127324/10152044395407325

All that's known so far is that it's a conversion for Chicago Coin's TV Ping Pong. Made by Chicago Coin, not made by Chicago Coin, no one really knows yet.

Paging gregf and "The Golden Age Arcade Historian"...

I assume it's a clone of one of the ones on Sly DC's lists.
http://www.ccjvq.com/slydc/project/lovecade/lovemame.htm

No relation to Cinematronics' "Blitz" (which became Barrier).
http://mamedev.emulab.it/undumped/index.php?title=Blitz

- Stiletto

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

StilettoAdministrator
Send PM

Control panel new [Re: Stiletto]
#333342 - 10/17/14 06:54 AM Attachment: blitz_cpo.jpg 214 KB (0 downloads)

Control Panel:

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: Identify this Bronze Age game new [Re: Stiletto]
#333343 - 10/17/14 07:32 AM

>All that's known so far is that it's a conversion for Chicago Coin's TV Ping Pong. Made
>by Chicago Coin, not made by Chicago Coin, no one really knows yet.

>Paging gregf

First time seeing that myself since I have never seen that before at places I visited during 1970s.

Did anyone identify if it is a single board kit, or does it have multiple add-on pcbs connected to a main logic board (pcb)? I probably missed the comment of how many pcbs it has.

I did read someone believes it might use a cpu because of the player versus machine option, but pong clones of either For-Play's Rally and Digital Games Model 474 also have player versus machine option and those two are non-cpu games so I disagree with that comment.

I agree with a few of the commentors that it is likely a conversion kit where operators could alter the cab....something along lines of what JRW Electronics was marketing at that time as well. It could be a company was doing that during 1970s in Canada for the Canadian vendors market?

--
JRW Electronics http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/?page=ar...rch+the+Archive
--

>and "The Golden Age Arcade Historian"...

Keith has to be the ideal source and likely has something about this item in his archives.

StilettoAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Identify this Bronze Age game new [Re: gregf]
#333344 - 10/17/14 07:44 AM

> Did anyone identify if it is a single board kit, or does it have multiple add-on
> pcbs connected to a main logic board (pcb)? I probably missed the comment of how many
> pcbs it has.

I don't think ACAM has come forward with that information yet.

> I did read someone believes it might use a cpu because of the player versus machine
> option, but pong clones of either For-Play's Rally and Digital Games Model 474 also
> have player versus machine option and those two are non-cpu games so I disagree with
> that comment.

Agreed.

> I agree with a few of the commentors that it is likely a conversion kit

I tried looking for flyers on TAFA with similar wording to the control panel/marquee "9 ways to play" - Digital Games seemed like a possibility. Still, might be some sort of copycat.

> Keith has to be the ideal source and likely has something about this item in his
> archives.

I sent him an email.

- Stiletto

astrp3
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/03/12
Send PM

Re: Identify this Bronze Age game new [Re: Stiletto]
#333374 - 10/17/14 04:50 PM

I have never heard of this one and didn't find any info in my source. It looks like it's from 1974, however, and I don't have many sources from that early.
It wasn't mentioned during Jerry Koci's testimony in the Bally case that I recently posted about (he mentioned every other known Chicago Coin video game).

I do, however, have a guess as to what it might be.
One of the games is called Thumper Bumper.
When I talked to Larry Hutcherson at Exidy, he said their first game was called Thumper Bumper and seemed pretty sure of it.

My other sources show their first game as Hockey/Tennis, followed by something called Sting (which I originally thought was another name for TV Pinball but it looks like it was a separate game). These games were released only on the west coast because Exidy hadn't started distributing nationally yet.

When I talked to Pete Kauffman he said that he didn't think they used the name Thumper Bumper in the released version.
Hockey/Tennis (or Thumper Bumper) was a Pong game that used colored overlays.

Given that Chicago Coin was licensing games from Exidy at the time (they licensed TV Pinball and Destruction Derby, which they released as TV Pingame and Demolition Derby), that Exidy had a game called Thumper Bumper, and that it looks like Blitz used colored overlays, I'm guessing they licensed this from Exidy.

It's still not entirely clear to me what the relationship was between Hockey/Tennis, Thumper Bumper, and Sting was - especially since I've never seen pictures of any of them.

StilettoAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Identify this Bronze Age game new [Re: astrp3]
#333377 - 10/17/14 05:24 PM

> I do, however, have a guess as to what it might be.

Thanks!

"Thumper Bumper" seems to be a common enough pinball component name, otherwise I wasn't quite ready to make that leap. Also, thanks for replying to the Facebook post.

I think guessing Exidy for the manufacturer is a pretty good guess. We might be able to find out more if ACAM is willing to disassemble the cabinet and take some very good photos/scans of the PCB or PCBs found inside (assuming the Blitz PCBs remain with the cabinet) and/or any stickers on the rear of the cabinet and/or any printed material found inside the cabinet.

- Stiletto

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 342 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2034