MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

jopezu
bread-train
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: georgia
Send PM

anybody here ever messed with self-induced sleeping paralysis and lucid dreaming?
#333201 - 10/14/14 09:38 PM

because i have recently... and boy... oh boy.

i learned everything i know from KC

Pi
Allergic to life
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Room 101
Send PM

Re: anybody here ever messed with self-induced sleeping paralysis and lucid dreaming? new [Re: jopezu]
#333203 - 10/14/14 10:02 PM

> because i have recently... and boy... oh boy.

I have had many lucid dreams, usually dealing with some form of floating or jumping extreme heights. It's not really floating, it's like a kind of "delayed fall" and sometimes I can delay it forever, causing a great feeling as I hover over the ground moving forward as if skating on ice.

Sleep paralysis is another matter. Got tons of them, always when waking up. Quite annoying and frustrating, I don't know why anyone would go through it on purpose. Although I'm not sure if they are sleep paralysis or "trapping dreams".

One question.

If you have a lucid dream, does it mean:
a. You are having a lucid dream.
b. You are dreaming that you're having a lucid dream.
c. Orc is a bast.

View the results for this poll

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.
I can't get it right / Get it right / Since I met you...

jopezu
bread-train
Send PM

Re: anybody here ever messed with self-induced sleeping paralysis and lucid dreaming? new [Re: Pi]
#333206 - 10/14/14 10:38 PM

i've had those too, and now that i've done sleep paralysis into lucid dreaming, i can tell you they aren't the same. what you're referring to is... hmm, realistic dreams? maybe lucid in that your dreaming self knows you're dreaming.

i've started using the 'stop-drop-roll' method (look it up, it worked the first time i tried) and then letting sleep paralysis take over. you have to be aware of all the signs of your brain trying to go to sleep, resist it, and try to enter a hypnagogic state while fully conscious. it is extreeeeeeemely fucking odd. i couldn't make it pass this sensation the first 3 or 4 times. after you're fully paralyzed, everything will start vibrating and you'll hear loud whooshing noises/whispering/talking. i also get extremely strong sensations of being tossed about or pulled into separate pieces. if you can relax through this, everything snaps quiet. after that, you can supposedly get up off the bed and go do whatever i want in an EXTREMELY convincing dream world. i can't make it pass the vibration phase due to all the freaky shit that starts happening at that point.

this is both fascinating and terrifying to me currently. i'm also discovering a sort of lost, life-long familiarity with lots of the sensations i get doing this. i feel like there's a lot to learn here. you are basically watching your subconscious run its nightly routines and trying to take control of the dreams and sensations that you're probably not supposed to be aware of.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Re: anybody here ever messed with self-induced sleeping paralysis and lucid dreaming? new [Re: jopezu]
#333208 - 10/15/14 12:31 AM

> i've had those too, and now that i've done sleep paralysis into lucid dreaming, i can
> tell you they aren't the same. what you're referring to is... hmm, realistic dreams?
> maybe lucid in that your dreaming self knows you're dreaming.
>
> i've started using the 'stop-drop-roll' method (look it up, it worked the first time
> i tried) and then letting sleep paralysis take over. you have to be aware of all the
> signs of your brain trying to go to sleep, resist it, and try to enter a hypnagogic
> state while fully conscious. it is extreeeeeeemely fucking odd. i couldn't make it
> pass this sensation the first 3 or 4 times. after you're fully paralyzed, everything
> will start vibrating and you'll hear loud whooshing noises/whispering/talking. i also
> get extremely strong sensations of being tossed about or pulled into separate pieces.
> if you can relax through this, everything snaps quiet. after that, you can supposedly
> get up off the bed and go do whatever i want in an EXTREMELY convincing dream world.
> i can't make it pass the vibration phase due to all the freaky shit that starts
> happening at that point.
>
> this is both fascinating and terrifying to me currently. i'm also discovering a sort
> of lost, life-long familiarity with lots of the sensations i get doing this. i feel
> like there's a lot to learn here. you are basically watching your subconscious run
> its nightly routines and trying to take control of the dreams and sensations that
> you're probably not supposed to be aware of.

I believe you're getting into Astral Projection (Edit: Or perhaps a Out of Body Experience?). Where you leave your body... You might notice what looks like a blue light, but where is it coming from? I believe I've had it happen to me a long time ago, and I wasn't even trying. I took a nap in the morning shortly after waking up. Although, I didn't experience any of the extreme vibration (so, maybe it wasn't what I thought it was), but if felt VERY real. The only 'sensation' I felt was as if I fell downward. I, being on my back, leaned up/forward, looked around... I was like "What's going on?!" It's quite the scary feeling... Probably because you're not used to such a thing.

I've been trying to keep a dream diary here lately, but I've stopped, mainly due to frustration. But I have had 2 or 3 lucid dreams here within the last month -I believe. They didn't get to be very vivid, nor last for an extended period of time.

This is a bit hard to explain, but I can only say (type) it the way it is. I was trying to speak to the awareness behind the dream. You have to use a loud voice... You'll probably hear a booming voice respond back. I had it happen once... and I had this very weird feeling come over me after I heard it respond.

Hmm. This gives me an opportunity to dictate my most recent lucid dream.

I had been having trouble with waking up shortly after gaining lucidity. I realized the dream was very fragile. So I had to let the dream gain stability before trying anything. I was careful to not get too excited... I then tried to speak to the dream (but I forgot to say it loud). I, looking upward, asked the dream (something like) "What is my purpose in life?" I seen a circle/hole open up above me. A huge rabbit skull peered out of the hole... flesh and fur formed over the skull. It said something to the effect of "Communicating". It then faded away. I thanked the dream.

I'm not sure it was the same dream, but I was talking to 'it' (or perhaps to myself). There was an object about the size of a 3 leveled book-shelf. It was red... It had these 4 button or small compartment like things on it. I wondered what they were for... I heard a voice (nothing loud -mind you) say that they were types of lucid dreams. The first one was for gaining knowledge (like, practicing things you could do in waking life, asking questions, etc.), the second one was for sensuality and pleasure. I didn't feel the need for such trivial activities (but thought that it would be nice to dream about a co-worker that I fancy). I asked what the 3rd button/object was for. An answer or feeling revealed that it was for enlightenment (perhaps for deeply spiritual experiences). There was the 4th button... I didn't get to ask or even find out what it was for (but I thought about it after waking up). ...That's all I can recall.

I've got a few books on Lucid Dreaming.

Creative Dreaming It deals with different cultures and their approaches to dreams. I consider it more of a study than a 'How-to' book. If there's any 'How-To' part to it, it's towards the end.

Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming Very good book!

*Lucid Dreaming: Gateway to the Inner Self Although I'm more than half-way through reading it... It's the BEST book I've come across so far. I can't recommend it enough!

And finally, A Field Guide to Lucid Dreaming I'm up to page 46 (and I've put it down for now). Haven't read enough of it to form an opinion yet, but seems good. It was recommended....

While on the subject of books, my most recent purchase was 'What Am I? A study in Non-Volitional Living' by Galen Sharp.

This gets into something that was hit upon in *=another book I've read.... I'll just leave it at that.

That's enough. Sorry for the long post.

Edited by Tomu Breidah (10/15/14 12:48 AM)

LEVEL-4

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

Re: anybody here ever messed with self-induced sleeping paralysis and lucid dreaming? new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#333211 - 10/15/14 12:52 AM

> > i've started using the 'stop-drop-roll' method (look it up, it worked the first
> time
> > i tried) and then letting sleep paralysis take over.

Hmmmmmmm. Thanks for the info Jopezu. I'll try this... Soon!

Edit: It seems I've had partial Sleep Paralysis once. It was when I was trying to observe... Keep my mind awake and let my body go to sleep. Yeah... I felt a presence in the room. I tend to get more ANGRY at such 'feelings' (or sensations of such a presence) rather than afraid.

Edited by Tomu Breidah (10/15/14 01:06 AM)

LEVEL-4

jopezu
bread-train
Send PM

Re: anybody here ever messed with self-induced sleeping paralysis and lucid dreaming? new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#333213 - 10/15/14 02:28 AM

yeh, the obe guides on youtube are what piqued my interest. also, there's a ton of frequency drones and binaural beats as well. some videos even let you pick the frequency to try to elicit a specific type of feeling. i'm a little scared of the videos. i tried one the other night, and i feel like it unnaturally forces me into the vibration state.

it's very interesting that i've been using asmr youtubers to fall asleep to for almost a year now, and i had no concept that the lucid dreaming stuff was even a thing.

jopezu
bread-train
Send PM

#333214 - 10/15/14 02:43 AM

>>Hmmmmmmm. Thanks for the info Jopezu. I'll try this... Soon!

just a word of warning - with the stuff you've been trying, you're relying on simply coming to consciousness while already dreaming. with the stop-drop-roll technique, you're going to consciously persist THROUGH body and brain adjustments that you may not be aware happens to you every night as you drift off to sleep. you will be awake watching your subconscious (and HEARING it) like you would a movie. be sure to watch and read a lot to be prepared on what to expect; even well-read on the topic, i freak out with the sensations. i've only tried maybe 5 or 6 times since last week. i just started this stuff last thursday night. i'm trying to get my wife and a few coworkers in on it too. i score pretty strongly on the asperger autism spectrum, so i'm curious to compare results.

i've only felt the room presence with snapping OUT of sleep, and i've had it all my life. a few years ago, i finally said 'fuck it, this thing can't hurt me obviously, so i'm going to hurt it when it happens again'. a while later, same shit happened, i startled awake (thinking my eyes were really open) - and this time i focused all my energy on attacking it with everything i had. i distinctly recall giving it a 100% damnation-fueled attempt to turn over and face it. when i felt my hand start to lift, my eyes snapped open... sweet, sweet beach house rental room. one of the triggers; unfamiliar places. i haven't encountered that exact feeling since, but i agree, getting angry at it is MUCH less disturbing than feeling oppressed by it.

good luck trying this stuff - it feels like a world of possibilities await from reading other people's experience. but, i already know i've got a shitload of fears and repressions that i'll have to work through. the one thing that keeps happening, is that anything with a discernible face (animals, people, statues, dolls, etc) i observe for too long will turn to me and look right at me... right THROUGH me, and then i'm like 'fuck it', hit the eject button.

a few tips here

- relax. your key to victory for pushing through all the early stuff, as counter-intuitive as it seems, is too continue deeply relaxing. you do it every single time you sleep naturally, but i'll be goddamned if it doesn't feel like harrowing spiritual warfare when i've done it (consciously putting my body to sleep).

- learn the reality check signs. the only one i've made it far enough to do is looking at my hands, which appeared as blurry and crystalline in the dream. fucking ODD, but apparently it's the one that works the best.

- my eject button for everything i've experienced is to focus on finding my breathing (you lose the sensation that you're breathing when your chest goes away during paralysis) and altering the pattern. then, trying to move my hands/fingers and feet/toes.

=)

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#333217 - 10/15/14 04:24 AM

> Edit: It seems I've had partial Sleep Paralysis once. It was when I was trying to
> observe... Keep my mind awake and let my body go to sleep. Yeah... I felt a presence
> in the room. I tend to get more ANGRY at such 'feelings' (or sensations of such a
> presence) rather than afraid.

I think I've experienced unintentional sleep paralysis twice. Both times were when I was sleeping in a really weird pattern, i.e. go to bed a 4am, sleep for ~2 hours, get up for an hour to do something, then back to bed. Once, I sensed a female presence in the corner of the room, kind of like the classic old hag syndrome. All of a sudden, it screamed insanely loud and I snapped awake. The other time, I heard kids chanting, like a playground chant, then all of a sudden it was like I was having a seizure. I couldn't move and my body was thrashing all around. Again, I snapped awake suddenly. That was unpleasant enough to keep me from messing around with anything that could possibly trigger it again.

URherenow
Loc: Japan
Send PM

won't ever work for me new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#333223 - 10/15/14 07:22 AM

I can't seem to fall asleep (on purpose... for the night...) in any position other than flat on my back. This is a problem for me because I really wish I could keep on my side with an arm around my wife.

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

#333224 - 10/15/14 09:58 AM

> >>Hmmmmmmm. Thanks for the info Jopezu. I'll try this... Soon!
>
> just a word of warning - with the stuff you've been trying, you're relying on simply
> coming to consciousness while already dreaming. with the stop-drop-roll technique,
> you're going to consciously persist THROUGH body and brain adjustments that you may
> not be aware happens to you every night as you drift off to sleep. you will be awake
> watching your subconscious (and HEARING it) like you would a movie.

It sounds very similar to the W.I.L.D. (Wake Induced Lucid Dream) technique. I can say I've entered a dream lucidly only one time.

> good luck trying this stuff - it feels like a world of possibilities await from
> reading other people's experience. but, i already know i've got a shitload of fears
> and repressions that i'll have to work through. the one thing that keeps happening,
> is that anything with a discernible face (animals, people, statues, dolls, etc) i
> observe for too long will turn to me and look right at me... right THROUGH me, and
> then i'm like 'fuck it', hit the eject button.

If these are dream characters and objects.... You could try talking to them. Ask them what part of you, or what part of your subconscious(?) they represent.

You saying you look at these things, then they look back... That makes me think of how things in the dreaming mind are representations of ourselves (perhaps, on some level). Get what I'm saying?

Edit, Saturday, 10/18... I actually had another Lucid Dream... I tried talking to 2 things... Asking them what part of my subconscious they represent. One was an object, & I can't recall what the other things was... Maybe a person. But at any rate, I can't say I got a clear answer.

That made me wonder if I really knew what the question meant. Or maybe my subconscious likes trolling me.

Edited by Tomu Breidah (10/18/14 03:27 PM)

Gor
Giver of truth.
Loc: The basement
Send PM

It's great when your dreams come true and all new [Re: jopezu]
#333234 - 10/15/14 01:16 PM

unless you're dreaming about taking a massive leak.

Allnatural
No Preservatives
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Toledo, OH. USA
Send PM

#333438 - 10/18/14 02:12 PM

> a few tips here
>
> - relax. your key to victory for pushing through all the early stuff, as
> counter-intuitive as it seems, is too continue deeply relaxing. you do it every
> single time you sleep naturally, but i'll be goddamned if it doesn't feel like
> harrowing spiritual warfare when i've done it (consciously putting my body to sleep).
>
> - learn the reality check signs. the only one i've made it far enough to do is
> looking at my hands, which appeared as blurry and crystalline in the dream. fucking
> ODD, but apparently it's the one that works the best.
>
> - my eject button for everything i've experienced is to focus on finding my breathing
> (you lose the sensation that you're breathing when your chest goes away during
> paralysis) and altering the pattern. then, trying to move my hands/fingers and
> feet/toes.
>
> =)

The digital clock reality check has worked pretty reliably for me. I haven't had a lucid dream recently, but I've been able to trigger a few with that method.

Keeping myself asleep while lucid is the hard part, and even though I have control of my dream self I still feel heavily detached from what is going on around me. Cool stuff all the same though.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Re: It's great when your dreams come true and all new [Re: Gor]
#333581 - 10/21/14 03:06 AM

> unless you're dreaming about taking a massive leak.

This was a bad sign when I was a kid, cos usually I pee'd for real. But recently I had one of these and thought for sure I pee'd all over, and woke and found I didn't. I still had to seriously pee. (Some of those times I think were wet dreams, although I didn't remember anything sexual dream-wise....but they didn't smell like pee.) Basically, don't drink too much right before bed. (When I was a kid, often it was milk. Now it's water.)

Cable came to my neighborhood fall of '83, I was twelve, and I pretty immediately started staying (trying to stay) up all Friday night watching movies and stuff. I did this through the spring of '85 or so. One night there was nothing on and I didn't want to crash. I sat there, started drifting but not off or away, and I started hearing whispers. And I snapped my eyes open and smiled - cos I knew the voices were me.

Since then, and especially since experiencing certain substances, I've had many manners of dreams and all. Never've slept-walked or anything. And I've never been afraid of anything in them. I've always treated dream as recreationally educational/educationally recreational. But, while I'm fascinated with the potentialities, it seems like a lot of work reading and trying this and that and.....well, what I experience is so easy, trying for more seems like a chore and perhaps anti-thetical.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 463 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3586