Who said pinball was dead?
#332916 - 10/07/14 11:46 PM

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: Who said pinball was dead? new [Re: Robbbert]
#332917 - 10/07/14 11:51 PM

I'd probably choose to play The Addams Family Gold first as I've never had the chance to and only played the regular version.

Also, I'd have to request Fish Tales, Indiana Jones & Star Trek TNG

jonwil
Lurker
Reged: 10/06/03
Send PM

Re: Who said pinball was dead? new [Re: B2K24]
#332924 - 10/08/14 02:21 AM

Me, I have always wanted to see (and play) an F-14 Tomcat machine (the closest thing to a Top Gun pinball out there)

Owning a pinball machine is on my "stuff I would do if I could afford it" bucket list.
I don't bother playing the machines at arcades because they cost so much these days.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#332935 - 10/08/14 04:08 AM

I have more pinball machines around me now than I ever have in my life and no interest to play them at all aside from Revenge From Mars once in a blue moon or ST Next Gen to hear the samples. I find pinball less fun with every year I age. The last few times I've played I just left in mid game I was so bored.

yaggy
Coin-op fixer
Reged: 01/23/05
Loc: Philadelphia
Send PM

Re: Who said pinball was dead? new [Re: jonwil]
#332961 - 10/08/14 06:46 PM

Pinball parlours are popping up and it's great. I'm selling a Taxi later this week to someone planning to open a pinball bar in Nyack,NY soon.

> Me, I have always wanted to see (and play) an F-14 Tomcat machine (the closest thing
> to a Top Gun pinball out there)

Gold Wings by gottlieb is closer to Top Gun feel. Has a ripoff of Tom Cruise on the backglass and has similar music. I had F-14 too, and it's more of a lightshow than a pin. You could get a gold wings for like $500, pretty cheap for a solid state pin.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Re: Who said pinball was dead? new [Re: yaggy]
#332970 - 10/09/14 05:01 AM

> Pinball parlours are popping up and it's great.

Yeah, a curious thing.

> I had F-14 too, and it's more of a lightshow than a pin.

OOOhh, contraire! F-14 is a game, and a pretty fast and difficult one. It's only a light show if you can get multi-ball. One of my seminal favourites, along with Cyclone, and Elvira and the Party Monsters, the three arguably the best tables of the 80s.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Who said pinball was dead? new [Re: Smitdogg]
#332974 - 10/09/14 05:18 AM

> I have more pinball machines around me now than I ever have in my life and no
> interest to play them at all aside from Revenge From Mars once in a blue moon or ST
> Next Gen to hear the samples. I find pinball less fun with every year I age. The last
> few times I've played I just left in mid game I was so bored.

I'm just the opposite, I'm way more into pinball now than I was back in the day. I think that's probably because I can go to places now that have a lot more vintage machines. I find I prefer the older, simpler tables from the late '50s through the mid-to-late '70s, than the later ones that were common when I was a kid. The newer ones just have way too much going on. I'm not all that good to begin with, and half the time I have no idea WTF is going on or what I should be shooting for.

jonwil
Lurker
Reged: 10/06/03
Send PM

Re: Who said pinball was dead? new [Re: yaggy]
#332977 - 10/09/14 05:40 AM

Good luck finding any functional playable good-condition full-size pinball machine at all for $500 here in Australia.

DomingosDeMame
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/19/14
Loc: Buenos Aires
Send PM

Re: Who said pinball was dead? new [Re: jonwil]
#332988 - 10/09/14 06:48 AM

I always liked pinballs,I can´t choose a favourite,but here where I live you cannot find any pinball to play,the last one I saw was the 1999 Star Wars game,you can find some in the coast cities but they´re in the worst condition you can imagine

Desde 2001 trayendote todo lo mejor del universo MAME

Excuse me for my poor English,still learning

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

Re: Who said pinball was dead? new [Re: B2K24]
#333031 - 10/10/14 05:20 AM

Pi
Allergic to life
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Room 101
Send PM

#333040 - 10/10/14 11:40 AM

> So, over to the Stern Metallica, inserted my $5, get 3 credits (yeah, expensive).
> This game has a snake's head which is a target to shoot at. During my first game, the
> ball got stuck between the snake and an adjacent post. The game then tried to release
> the ball a few times then said game over. Not nice. When that happened, the snake's
> mouth closed on the ball, making sure it couldn't be shaken loose.

You just experienced another one of the nice features of real pinball tables that you can't easily simulate in a computer version

I haven't been never a fan of pinballs, I was pretty bad and my coins were too scarce so I played arcades most of the time. However I like computer pinballs. I spent quite a lot of time playing Epic Pinball (specially Android, Excalibur, Magic and the multimillion Deep Sea) and those 21st Century Entertainment pinballs (specially Nightmare from Pinball Dreams which IIRC was the first game in the series). I know it's nothing like real tables, but they're fun games to play in their own.

However no pinball I've tried in the computer has something I dreaded/liked in real pinballs: when for some reason the ball jumps to the glass making that loud "clunk" noise. I always thought sooner or later the glass would break because some of the hits sounded so loud.

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.
I can't get it right / Get it right / Since I met you...

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Who said pinball was dead? new [Re: Pi]
#333081 - 10/11/14 07:40 AM

> I always thought sooner or later the glass would break because some of the hits sounded so loud.

It often jumps up and over the same way in many fairly old VP tables I play. But, yeah, no glass smack. It's tempered, so it won't break, but it sure is loud, yeah.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Who said pinball was dead? new [Re: DMala]
#333082 - 10/11/14 07:46 AM

> > I have more pinball machines around me now than I ever have in my life and no interest to play them at all aside from Revenge From Mars once in a blue moon or ST Next Gen to hear the samples. I find pinball less fun with every year I age. The last few times I've played I just left in mid game I was so bored.

> I'm just the opposite, I'm way more into pinball now than I was back in the day. I think that's probably because I can go to places now that have a lot more vintage machines. I find I prefer the older, simpler tables from the late '50s through the mid-to-late '70s, than the later ones that were common when I was a kid. The newer ones just have way too much going on. I'm not all that good to begin with, and half the time I have no idea WTF is going on or what I should be shooting for.

I find it weird someone would be that bored with pinball...unless it was old tables. I can't really hang very long with anything before '86. But as I don't have one of my own, that means putting money into 'em, and unless I'm rockin, I get stingy. VP tables I can sometimes spend an hour or more on, depending.

Ultimately, I like playing vids more, cos the game play will actually vary more, versus pinball being dictated by how well you shoot, and the possibility of continually shooting the same incorrect vector and missing the ramps, etc. resulting in a dead game.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

#333083 - 10/11/14 07:49 AM

> Just came back from my visit. The machines are in the lobby of a petrol station...I didn't have any suitable coins, and the lady at the counter didn't either...

No proper coins? And the gas station didn't have 'em, either? ABSO-WEIRD. What kind of denominations do you HAVE over there??

Andrew
Girl Watcher
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Boston, Mass.
Send PM

Re: Who said pinball was dead? new [Re: Pi]
#333472 - 10/19/14 03:54 AM

> I know it's nothing like real tables, but they're fun games to play in their own.

I agree. It's also fun tweaking DOSBox to get them working just right.

--
A story of one man and his obsession with the female anatomy.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Who said pinball was dead? new [Re: Andrew]
#333567 - 10/21/14 12:55 AM

> > I know it's nothing like real tables, but they're fun games to play in their own.
>
> I agree. It's also fun tweaking DOSBox to get them working just right.

I dunno. There's a 'gravity' element to real life pinball that I don't totally fancy. Like, the ball wants to move in an arc, so to speak....I guess this is 'angular momentum'...the table is sloped, and the ball is pulled toward you, and so the ball wants to move in a parabolic fashion, tending to drift over and down/bounce into the outlanes, and the safe area is inside the range of the bumpers. Kind of detracts from the fun, cos there's less table you can play on. On virtual tables, at least of VP8 and 9 older than four years ago, the tendency of the ball is more horizontal. It kind of floats some.

Anyways, here's some brief goodness from the other night:

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 570 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2756