They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Flyer Fever
#331171 - 09/04/14 06:34 AM

http://www.flyerfever.com

From the "About" page:

Quote:

I was the second owner of The Arcade Flyer Archive (TAFA) for seven years, but I sold it in 2012 due to extreme burnout, depression and my inability to transform the site the way I wanted.

The theme for my life in 2014 is to begin again and after a two year hiatus, I’m happy to introduce a new image gallery of my coin-op video game advertisement flyer collection.

At Flyer Fever you can browse over 3,200 video game flyers from 1971 to 1991*. The flyers are tagged with information about the games without getting too serious about it and cross referenced so you can view groups of them in meaningful ways.

Special thanks to my friend in Japan, Sur-Gin. Without his help over the last ten years my flyer collection wouldn’t be what it is today.

~ Dan

* A few video game flyers are from 1992 and later because they are re-releases and/or sequels to games I loved in the eighties.

You'll note, Dan's changed his user account name.

Dan is now "Flyer Fever".

Congrats to Dan on the "new" tumblr-based site.

- Stiletto

Osso1
Reged: 10/17/04
Send PM

Re: Flyer Fever new [Re: Stiletto]
#331174 - 09/04/14 07:46 AM

Was wondering why the other site had not seen any updates since 2012..
Great to have him back!

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

#331176 - 09/04/14 08:01 AM

> http://www.flyerfever.com
>
> From the "About" page:
> I was the second owner of The Arcade Flyer Archive (TAFA) for seven years, but I sold
> it in 2012 due to extreme burnout, depression and my inability to transform the site
> the way I wanted.
>
> The theme for my life in 2014 is to begin again and after a two year hiatus, I’m
> happy to introduce a new image gallery of my coin-op video game advertisement flyer
> collection.
>
> At Flyer Fever you can browse over 3,200 video game flyers from 1971 to 1991*. The
> flyers are tagged with information about the games without getting too serious about
> it and cross referenced so you can view groups of them in meaningful ways.
>
> Special thanks to my friend in Japan, Sur-Gin. Without his help over the last ten
> years my flyer collection wouldn’t be what it is today.
>
> ~ Dan
>
> * A few video game flyers are from 1992 and later because they are re-releases and/or
> sequels to games I loved in the eighties.
>
> You'll note, Dan's changed his user account name.
>
> Dan is now "Flyer Fever".
>
> Congrats to Dan on the "new" tumblr-based site.
>
> - Stiletto

I love the website. Thanks for posting the link.

I saw that the Space Walk is sharing that Space Encounters white bezel. The flyer is on this page.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Reged: 08/07/05
Send PM

Re: Flyer Fever new [Re: Osso1]
#331209 - 09/04/14 01:27 PM

Are all those flyers on the main page completely new? Or were they on TAFA already?

StilettoAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Flyer Fever new [Re: R.Coltrane]
#331217 - 09/04/14 04:31 PM

> Are all those flyers on the main page completely new? Or were they on TAFA already?

Well, I can't say for certain, but I'm about 90% sure there's nothing new... yet.
Hopefully he'll tag redone scans and/or new scans with appropriate tags to improve their visibility when it eventually happens.

https://twitter.com/adian_ume/status/500995799921086464
says something about "new flyers" and "October" but I don't understand how he's related to the project.

I see AntoPisa has already updated his Links page and replaced TAFA with Flyer Fever.
http://www.progettosnaps.net/
Not sure I'd do that yet... much as I like Dan and historically KLOV is... KLOV. Maybe add it as a second source. But speaking as one of those who does "get serious" about the metadata, I'm not a total fan of the site layout yet. (How would you display all Atari flyers by copyright year, for instance?) If they never make changes like that, then I can choose to use TAFA for "research" and Flyer Fever for idle browsing. Also, TAFA states that it's targeting all coin-op flyers ever, and Flyer Fever just 1971 to 1991 (more or less). (Tumblr tends to be fairly mobile-friendly too.)

But at least it's no muss and no fuss. Want to drown in flyer photos? Just keep on scrolling.

- Stiletto

Edited by Stiletto (09/04/14 04:41 PM)

Dan@Flyer Fever
Early video game flyer collector
Reged: 12/16/03
Loc: Altamont, NY
Send PM

Re: Flyer Fever new [Re: R.Coltrane]
#331218 - 09/04/14 04:37 PM

Dangit, you discovered me a month too early! LOL. I was hoping to surprise everyone with the first official flyer update in October.

I've been hard at work re-scanning from scratch and quietly posting my entire flyer collection on my new site with the goal of having it completely populated by late September. That was the last time I posted an update on TAFA two years ago.

While my new site only showcases my flyer collection, you can expect regular monthly flyer updates in October, where I will release recently acquired video game flyers never before seen.

I've already talked to Antonio of Progetto Snaps and he will include them in updated Flyer Packs.

For the record, I re-scanned my entire collection starting last December and just finished last weekend.

Enjoy everyone!

~ Dan

PS - For those used to a little more structure there is the Tag directory and also a Tag cloud to help get you started. Search also works pretty well but it is definitely not Google.

Lastly, the game data is significantly more accurate than on TAFA. I used The Golden Age Arcade Historian and System 16 as my primary resources.

Edited by Flyer Fever (09/04/14 05:02 PM)

Dan@Flyer Fever
Send PM

#331219 - 09/04/14 04:42 PM

> > Are all those flyers on the main page completely new? Or were they on TAFA already?
>
> Well, I can't say for certain, but I'm about 90% sure there's nothing new... yet.
> Hopefully he'll tag redone scans and/or new scans with appropriate tags to improve
> their visibility when it eventually happens.
>
> https://twitter.com/adian_ume/status/500995799921086464
> says something about "new flyers" and "October" but I don't understand how he's
> related to the project.
>
> I see AntoPisa has already updated his Links page and replaced TAFA with Flyer Fever.
> http://www.progettosnaps.net/
> Not sure I'd do that yet... much as I like Dan and historically KLOV is... KLOV.
> Maybe add it as a second source. But speaking as one of those who does "get serious"
> about the metadata, I'm not a total fan of the site layout yet. (How would you
> display all Atari flyers by copyright year, for instance?) If they never make changes
> like that, then I can choose to use TAFA for "research" and Flyer Fever for idle
> browsing. (Tumblr tends to be fairly mobile-friendly too.)
>
> But at least it's no muss and no fuss. Want to drown in flyer photos? Just keep on
> scrolling.
>
> - Stiletto

Stiletto,
That is great feedback on the tagging and I will certainly course correct my tagging efforts in the future to help with parsing flyers.

StilettoAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Flyer Fever new [Re: Dan@Flyer Fever]
#331220 - 09/04/14 04:52 PM

> Dangit, you discovered me a month too early! LOL. I was hoping to surprise everyone
> with the first official flyer update in October.

Sorry Dan, you turned up in a Google result. Otherwise I'd say you did a very good job of being in "Stealth Mode"

I suppose I could have asked you about it and waited for your official "press release" but... was too happy to see you "back", I guess, so I let the cat out of the bag. Sorry to ruin the surprise.

(also, 1:30 AM News Submission posts are generally ill-advised... *sigh*)

> I've been hard at work quietly posting my entire flyer collection on my new site with
> the goal of having it completely populated by late September. That was the last time
> I posted an update on TAFA two years ago.

Just think... now you'll be forcing gregf to master tumblr so he can send you metadata ("tag") fixes on 1970's games.

> While my new site only showcases my flyer collection, you can expect regular monthly
> flyer updates in October, where I will release recently acquired video game flyers
> never before seen.

Can't wait!

> I've already talked to Antonio of Progetto Snaps and he will include them in updated
> Flyer Packs.

Excellent! Hopefully the days of reducing image resolution for image pack sets is over. (MAME, wasting HDD space with impunity since 1997.)

> Enjoy everyone.

Oh, we will...

- Stiletto

Edited by Stiletto (09/04/14 04:59 PM)

SlenderMaster
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/03/14
Loc: Kiribati
Send PM

#331225 - 09/04/14 06:12 PM

No Mahjong Flyer's?

Dan@Flyer Fever
Send PM

Re: Flyer Fever new [Re: SlenderMaster]
#331226 - 09/04/14 07:07 PM

> No Mahjong Flyer's?

No 'mahjong' tag... and I might need to add that to game flyers with 'mahjong' in the title.

For now browse the tag cloud or check out Nichibutu's line up since that company released a lot of mahjong games.

http://www.flyerfever.com/tagged/nichibutsu

SlenderMaster
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Flyer Fever new [Re: Dan@Flyer Fever]
#331236 - 09/04/14 10:40 PM

> > No Mahjong Flyer's?
>
> No 'mahjong' tag... and I might need to add that to game flyers with 'mahjong' in the
> title.
>
> For now browse the tag cloud or check out Nichibutu's line up since that company
> released a lot of mahjong games.
>
> http://www.flyerfever.com/tagged/nichibutsu

Thanks, but i'm looking for especific games, like Psikyo.
It's for HyperSpin.

StilettoAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Flyer Fever new [Re: SlenderMaster]
#331259 - 09/05/14 04:42 AM

> Thanks, but i'm looking for especific games, like Psikyo.
> It's for HyperSpin.

Well, he DID say he was targeting 1971 to 1991 because it's mainly a site for his collection and that's what he collects. Psikyo's first game (according to Arcade-History.com) was 1993, dude.

So make sure the specific games you're looking for are within that range.

- Stiletto

SlenderMaster
MAME Fan
Send PM

#331282 - 09/05/14 02:03 PM

> > Thanks, but i'm looking for especific games, like Psikyo.
> > It's for HyperSpin.
>
> Well, he DID say he was targeting 1971 to 1991 because it's mainly a site for his
> collection and that's what he collects. Psikyo's first game (according to
> Arcade-History.com) was 1993, dude.
>
> So make sure the specific games you're looking for are within that range.
>
> - Stiletto

I already found on Google.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 360 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 4515