MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

TheBigAmbulance
And STILL not ginger....
Reged: 01/03/08
Send PM

Might be going to Dubai. State of the world these days, should I be worried?
#331093 - 09/02/14 10:41 PM

Anyone ever been to Dubai? Just wondering if I should be scared sh*tless! My company might be sending me there for a week.

Pi
Allergic to life
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Room 101
Send PM

Re: Might be going to Dubai. State of the world these days, should I be worried? new [Re: TheBigAmbulance]
#331099 - 09/03/14 12:43 AM

> Anyone ever been to Dubai? Just wondering if I should be scared sh*tless! My company
> might be sending me there for a week.

I haven't been there, but the United Arab Emirates seem to be a stable zone. Not likely you're going to get a bomb dropped in your hotel room. Abu Dhabi and Dubai are GREAT cities in every sense. Despite some polemics about foreign workers (foreigners residing permanently in the city, mainly construction) and their human rights, Dubai is shiny. I guess every big city has its shadows, and Dubai is no exception, but compared to others it looks like utopia, as long as you have some money. Tourism is a very important face of the city with tons of luxury places to spend your money. Don't forget to watch the Burj Khalifa. Post pics.

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.
I can't get it right / Get it right / Since I met you...

URherenow
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Japan
Send PM

I've been a long time ago new [Re: TheBigAmbulance]
#331110 - 09/03/14 03:01 AM

It's about as safe as any middle-eastern place can be, I guess. I hope you're not going solo. As long as you use the buddy system, you shouldn't have to worry about your safety. There's a lot of wealth there and that tends to keep crime down.

Dubai is not the place to buy imported items. They can get expensive! I stopped in Jabel Ali (just outside of Dubai) on a port call towards the end of '96 and paid the equivilent of about $94 for a copy of MK3 (UMK3?) for the N64.

If you don't mind the color of thier 22k gold(an almost fake looking dark yellow), this is the place to buy it. Cost has gone up, but in '96 you could get a custom made, solid gold watch for about $800.

If you're a smoker, you have to try a biri once. They're tiny cigarrette things, slimmer than Virginia Slims (like little joints, actually), non-filtered, and come in a pack of 25 or 30... dirt cheap. They are super strong (including the smell) and if you smoke it too fast, you can actually see what appears to be tar bubbling out of the end...

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

jeremymtc
Shot Maker
Reged: 01/09/07
Loc: Calimammy
Send PM

Re: I've been a long time ago new [Re: URherenow]
#331111 - 09/03/14 03:10 AM

> If you're a smoker, you have to try a biri once. They're tiny cigarrette things,
> slimmer than Virginia Slims (like little joints, actually), non-filtered, and come in
> a pack of 25 or 30... dirt cheap. They are super strong (including the smell) and if
> you smoke it too fast, you can actually see what appears to be tar bubbling out of
> the end...

Those sound suspiciously like bidis... Had a dalliance with those for a period in the '90s.

URherenow
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Re: I've been a long time ago new [Re: jeremymtc]
#331112 - 09/03/14 03:15 AM

Yes, that's what I'm talking about.

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: I've been a long time ago new [Re: jeremymtc]
#331115 - 09/03/14 04:15 AM

> Those sound suspiciously like bidis... Had a dalliance with those for a period in the
> '90s.

A friend who grew up in Mumbai was telling me about these. They sound foul.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Re: I've been a long time ago new [Re: DMala]
#331123 - 09/03/14 07:19 AM

> > Those sound suspiciously like bidis... Had a dalliance with those for a period in the '90s.

> A friend who grew up in Mumbai was telling me about these. They sound foul.

Might as well smoke some fuckin hash, yo. Much tastier, far better experience all round.

@ the OP: a gay friend of mine has been going there at least once a year for at least two decades, and has never had trouble.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
2 registered and 103 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1736