MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

VirtuaIceMan
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/22/07
Send PM

so, which would theoretically be best for MAME?
#330975 - 08/31/14 07:52 PM

4790k Devil's Canyon or 5820k Haswell-E? The 4790k has faster clock speed, but the 5820k has 4 core (plus the more modern Z99 motherboard and DDR4 RAM).

I'm still struggling with a P4, so anything's better, but I'm just wondering which route to take... Pretty much just for gaming. Might depend on which mobo Broadwell will support, from a more future proof perspective... Although with PCs that's always tricky to predict...

Edited by VirtuaIceMan (09/01/14 01:48 PM)

Pr3tty F1y
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/18/05
Send PM

Re: so, which would theoretically be best for MAME? new [Re: VirtuaIceMan]
#330977 - 08/31/14 08:12 PM

> 4970k Devil's Canyon or 5820k Haswell-E? The 4970k has faster clock speed, but the
> 5820k has 4 core (plus the more modern Z99 motherboard and DDR4 RAM).
>
> I'm still struggling with a P4, so anything's better, but I'm just wondering which
> route to take... Pretty much just for gaming. Might depend on which mobo Broadwell
> will support, from a more future proof perspective... Although with PCs that's always
> tricky to predict...

Clock speed is going to be king. I'm not sure what the overclocking headroom is on either, but once you have 4 cores, anything additional is unlikely to help MAME. Truthfully, I doubt anything more than dual cores helps, but as far as a high performance chip, you probably won't find a dual-core model that hits high enough to provide the best possible performance for MAME.

As far as DDR3 vs DDR4, it's highly unlikely to make a difference. Most of the OC'ing on Intel chips is going to come from buying an unlocked k cpu and upping the clock multiplier. Upping the FSB (or whatever it's called these days) is just going to cause instability on anything other than meager clock rate increases.

I have an i5 2500k @ 4.4ghz and it runs great for most games. Some of the semi-recent STV improvements have caused some slowdown when it's in high resolution mode. But I can run the Midway 3D games (including Zeus based games) fine. I think Andrew's MAME benchmarks may be of interest to you so search the boards and you should be able to find a link.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#330978 - 08/31/14 08:18 PM

> 4970k Devil's Canyon or 5820k Haswell-E? The 4970k has faster clock speed, but the
> 5820k has 4 core (plus the more modern Z99 motherboard and DDR4 RAM).
>
> I'm still struggling with a P4, so anything's better, but I'm just wondering which
> route to take... Pretty much just for gaming. Might depend on which mobo Broadwell
> will support, from a more future proof perspective... Although with PCs that's always
> tricky to predict...

I don't worry too much about future proofing anymore. I always took that into consideration when getting a new machine, and it's helped me out exactly once. The mobo I'm currently using accepts both DDR2 and DDR3. When I build the machine, I got 2GB of DDR2 because that was the cheaper option. When I needed to go to 4GB a couple of years ago, it was cheaper to get 4GB of DDR3 than it was to add 2GB of DDR2. Other than that, the tech always changes too fast for future proofing to do me any good.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#331030 - 09/01/14 07:00 PM

> I'm still struggling with a P4, so anything's better

Man, I thought I was bad off. I feel your pain...

- Stiletto

VirtuaIceMan
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/22/07
Send PM

Re: so, which would theoretically be best for MAME? new [Re: Stiletto]
#331036 - 09/02/14 01:52 AM

Heh, it's my fault, I keep putting off upgrading! Regardless of processor choice, I'm now hearing next range of Nvidia cards are due out later this month, then there's Win9... See what I mean?! :-) �

Ziggy100
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/14/08
Send PM

#331053 - 09/02/14 09:45 AM

..as long as you can get a minimum 4.5Ghz overclock, either of those CPU's will do just fine and will run 98% of Mame games at full speed.

Once you get past 4.5Ghz, any game in Mame that needs more CPU grunt, needs way more than ANY processor available.

Stuff like NAOMI system games won't be running at 60fps in Mame for for a few years yet.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: so, which would theoretically be best for MAME? new [Re: Ziggy100]
#331054 - 09/02/14 10:16 AM

> Once you get past 4.5Ghz, any game in Mame that needs more CPU grunt, needs way more
> than ANY processor available.

That might be true today, but if the accuracy of something is improved which makes it slightly slower then 4.7ghz might be more useful. But in most cases 200mhz difference isn't going to make much of a difference. If one is more efficient per clock, or has much larger amounts of ram, or supports a much faster front side bus then comparing clock speeds is irrelevant.

When buying a machine you are better off going for the best value for money and saving the rest for your next computer. For example, paying double for a marginal improvement in speed would be better used on a computer now and another in a couple of years. You need to be careful that you don't penny pinch as you can get to the point where you could double the performance for a marginal increase in the price. There is usually a sweet spot.

Edited by smf (09/02/14 10:26 AM)

Ziggy100
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/14/08
Send PM

Re: so, which would theoretically be best for MAME? new [Re: ]
#331055 - 09/02/14 10:44 AM

Quote:

That might be true today, but if the accuracy of something is improved which makes it
slightly slower then 4.7ghz might be more useful

..well I did say a 'minimum' 4.5Ghz overclock...

I run my 4690K @ 4.6Ghz on a 24/7 basis at a nice cool 1.2vlts.

..but I know if I put 1.3vlts into it, it will run @4.8Ghz, but as it currently stands, that extra 200mhz makes no perceivable difference to games that won't run full speed at 4.6Ghz, so I just don't bother.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Re: so, which would theoretically be best for MAME? new [Re: Ziggy100]
#331077 - 09/02/14 07:30 PM

> > I'm still struggling with a P4, so anything's better

> Man, I thought I was bad off. I feel your pain...

- Stiletto

Bah, only since maybe .153 have I started to need more than a P4 for 2D games.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 348 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2524