View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

I have a partition problem again......
#330520 - 08/24/14 08:31 PM

When I set up my theatre rig a few years ago, I made a partition for the possibility of 7. Unfortunately, I was only able to make it 20gb. Now updates aren't getting installed because it's running into that limit.

I decided I'd delete the old XP parition, and extend the 7 partition into it, but Disk Management wouldn't let me delete or format the XP partition. I couldn't even delete files from it, because 7 won't let me. Of course I'm the admin. Partition protection for the XP partition was off.

Note - partition letters: 7 was C, XP was D, data was E.

So I thought I'd use my tinyXP disc to boot into XP live, format the XP partition, and I'd be fine. Hah hah hah hah....wait for it......NTLDR. Fuuuck.

Booted from my 7 install thumb drive. (I tried this first, but it wasn't booting....because my laptop doesn't recognize the thumb drive as a USB-FDD, but instead USB-HDD, and the latter was excluded from the boot order....) It did the 'found startup errors' and fixed them, but of course no joy on reboot. Booting again from the thumb drive, it doesn't say there are startup errors, but clicking next to get to repair options it says 'this version of system recovery options is not compatible with the versions of windows here....'

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: I have a partition problem again...... new [Re: Traso]
#330535 - 08/25/14 12:16 AM

Use the Windows 7 install disc. Use the Command line program DiskPart.

Don't use XP to change Vista / 7 partitions. It doesn't understand the alignment.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: I have a partition problem again...... new [Re: redk9258]
#330551 - 08/25/14 02:46 AM Attachment: 2014-08-24 17.38.22.jpg 1604 KB (0 downloads)

> Use the Windows 7 install disc. Use the Command line program DiskPart.
>
> Don't use XP to change Vista / 7 partitions. It doesn't understand the alignment.

First, I had to delete the XP partition from within an install environment. So then I was able to get to the tools > cmd > diskpart, and this is what is shown. I don't understand partitions 0 and 2 being the same thing.

Anyways, I selected the disk and partition 1, and tried 'assign' and 'uniqueID', and now it tries to boot but says 'BOOTMGR missing'. Which makes sense, since it's not booting, but I don't know what to do from here....

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

part 2 new [Re: Traso]
#330575 - 08/25/14 06:18 AM

'Assign' apparently changed the 7 partition to C. But it still won't boot. I tried bootrec, but that didn't fix it, either.

The disk thinks the original XP partition is the boot partition. I confirmed this by remaking that partition, and it shows as (BOOT) in Explorer (via 7 installation disc).

I just now went back into diskpart and deleted that partition, and used the MBR tool. Upon the 7 partition booting, it stops and says ntoskrnl.exe is missing. I have the feeling there are more files missing/corrupt, and that's the first one it found......

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: part 3 new [Re: Traso]
#330579 - 08/25/14 07:17 AM

So then I tried this:

You’ll need to manually restore some files again to the version that came with your Windows installation DVD. Use the Windows DVD to boot into repair mode and restore these files using the command prompt:

In your “\Windows\System32\” folder, restore just these files:

hal.dll

ntoskrnl.exe (You shouldn’t need to replace it because it’s not really corrupted.)

ntkrnlpa.exe (Same as ntoskrnl.exe. Try booting without replacing them first)

And in your “\Windows\System32\Drivers” folder, restore these:

acpi.sys

msisadrv.sys

pci.sys

volmgr.sys

volsnap.sys

disk.sys

But of course this didn't fix anything. Now on booting it says 'windows couldn't start....load needed dlls'. Oh, goodie. This is the same as last time, meaning I'm likely going to have to re-install.....

redk9258
Regular
Send PM

#330586 - 08/25/14 11:57 AM

Try running the start up repair from the Windows disc twice.

You did the assign command on Windows PE. It only sticks in Windows PE. Your boot files may have been on the XP partition that you wiped. Looks a mess to me.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: part 3 new [Re: redk9258]
#330632 - 08/26/14 02:33 AM

> You did the assign command on Windows PE. It only sticks in Windows PE. Your boot files may have been on the XP partition that you wiped. Looks a mess to me.

Tried that. It says it can't automatically repair it. I ran the advanced diagnostic tool and it said there was an error: missing boot manager. Oh. Really?

Hmh hmh hmh hmh hmh....was gonna try boot repair disk, but mounting it on USB doesn't seem to work.....I do have some discs around I just noticed....but that's lame. I may try that in a minute....

I'm developing the mantra: if it takes more than 30 minutes, fuck it, and wipe it. Especially as the only important thing on my system is my browser favorites; I run very little ware on any of my rigs, let alone my theatre rig. The only reason I've continued fucking about with it is cos I'd really like something to work.

redk9258
Regular
Send PM

#330638 - 08/26/14 04:01 AM

I think you wiped out the partition that had the boot files. Windows Vista and 7 use different partition alignment than XP. XP doesn't know how to handle this. I think this is where things went wrong for you.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

#330646 - 08/26/14 06:26 AM

> I think you wiped out the partition that had the boot files. Windows Vista and 7 use different partition alignment than XP. XP doesn't know how to handle this. I think this is where things went wrong for you.

Yeah, obviously. The problem in my mind is that one precedes the other. That totally invalidates the 'multi-boot' environment. At the very least, there should be a simple fix: re-instate the appropriate boot files relative to the existing OS. But I'm betting this is another 'that's Windows for ya' Linux/Apple commentary. To which I agree.

>>Later: so, like I said, I had to wipe both partitions and re-install.

redk9258
Regular
Send PM

#330656 - 08/26/14 11:54 AM

> But I'm
> betting this is another 'that's Windows for ya' Linux/Apple commentary. To which I
> agree.

I'm thinking you could of fucked up any OS doing what you did

URherenow
Loc: Japan
Send PM

#330658 - 08/26/14 12:51 PM

> > But I'm
> > betting this is another 'that's Windows for ya' Linux/Apple commentary. To which I
> > agree.
>
> I'm thinking you could have fucked up any OS doing what you did

FTFY

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

of you, though? (nt) new [Re: URherenow]
#330661 - 08/26/14 03:14 PM

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

#330675 - 08/26/14 07:33 PM

> > But I'm betting this is another 'that's Windows for ya' Linux/Apple commentary. To which I agree.

> I'm thinking you could of fucked up any OS doing what you did

Could be. Shouldn't be so....

So I'm all up and running.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

#330683 - 08/26/14 11:44 PM

> But of course this didn't fix anything. Now on booting it says 'windows couldn't
> start....load needed dlls'. Oh, goodie. This is the same as last time, meaning I'm
> likely going to have to re-install.....

Ah yes. It's totally Microsoft's fault for all this, and not yours for giving a modern OS partition a measly 20GB to work out of.

redk9258
Regular
Send PM

Re: part 3 new [Re: URherenow]
#330685 - 08/26/14 11:54 PM

> FTFY

Thanks. It wasn't even 5:00 AM yet. Still sleeping.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: part 3 new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#330763 - 08/27/14 09:08 PM

> Ah yes. It's totally Microsoft's fault for all this, and not yours for giving a modern OS partition a measly 20GB to work out of.

Considering it doesn't need 20 gigs to work, yes, it is.

But on the other side of things, when I got the lappy from my brother, I set aside 30 gigs for system: 10 for [tiny]XP, and 20 for 7....if I ever went to 7....(which I was hoping to use tiny7....but alas I couldn't, or, it seemed to not auto-update, which is not good.....). Except on my main gaming rig. I still might use AdvanceMAME some day, and I'm pretty sure 7, or perhaps the 7 drivers for my Geforce 6800, won't allow svgawin to work.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 173 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1948