MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/15/07
Send PM

Which Ms Pac-man rom perfectly emulates the Bally Midway speed up version?
#330518 - 08/24/14 08:09 PM

Like the title says, I am curious to know which of the various MAME versions of Ms Pac-man perfectly emulates the Bally Midway speed up version?

Upon testing the "Ms Pac-man bootleg" "Ms Pac-man Speed-up" and all the other version in-between, it seems none of them accurately mimic the speed of the Midway Ms. Pac machine perfectly.

I was at the laundry mat yesterday and played the arcade for about half an hour. First thing I noticed is how much faster the MAME version is over the cabinet. Was the extra speed in the speed up cheat for mame, written as a cheat, or was the game emulated with the speed up chip already installed?

Is there a way to slightly decrease the speed of the yellow gobbler to accurately match the arcade machine's speed 1:1?

Or....could it be a framerate difference? I tried decreasing the framerate slightly in mame, and also tried underclocking the cpu, but was met with less than desirable results.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Re: Which Ms Pac-man rom perfectly emulates the Bally Midway speed up version? new [Re: Outrun2006]
#330521 - 08/24/14 08:38 PM

Who cares? It's too fast, regardless.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

grog
Reged: 09/06/11
Send PM

Re: Which Ms Pac-man rom perfectly emulates the Bally Midway speed up version? new [Re: Outrun2006]
#330527 - 08/24/14 09:36 PM

if the version in the laundromat is the same as one of the versions in mame but the gameplay speed is different, perhaps go back to the laundromat with a video camera (or stopwatch at least) and record the length in seconds of the attract mode gameplay demo of the arcade version. then report your findings at mametesters.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#330536 - 08/25/14 12:16 AM

There were bootleg rom set kits made for the PCB. Unless you saw the PCB/dumped the roms/are an expert then you don't know what you're comparing.

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/06
Send PM

Re: Which Ms Pac-man rom perfectly emulates the Bally Midway speed up version? new [Re: Smitdogg]
#330554 - 08/25/14 03:14 AM

Agree with what you said. I worked at a call center that had Ms. Pac-Man with the speed up "hack" & I played it almost ever day on my lunch break. Then I'd go home and play the game on MAME with the speed up hack and it seemed to play at the same speed the arcade cab was playing at. There was no noticeable difference. So any hacked version could potentially play at different speeds

Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
32GB DDR4 RAM

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Which Ms Pac-man rom perfectly emulates the Bally Midway speed up version? new [Re: Envisaged0ne]
#330604 - 08/25/14 05:04 PM

Well after having played some more, I'm now fairly convinced that the problem, in a nutshell, lies with me! I play MAME on a projection screen at 110" and I think that has an effect on the way I perceive the motion of Ms Pac-man. Going from the standard cab with a 27"(?) monitor to a large 110" 16:9 screen gives me the illusion that the larger than life yellow gobbler is moving faster due to playing on an unusually colossal display.

The other thing I thing contributes to this issue is the way the game is played. When using an 8-way fighting game arcade stick, Ms Pac is a bit difficult to control and when you find yourself getting stuck in corners and not able to move her around the way you can in the cabinet, you automatically attribute this to the speed of the game, when in fact it's the joystick itself. I would like to get myself an actual 4-way joystick that replicates the original Ms Pac-man arcade one as closely as possible. What are some good ones out there?

sirscotty
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/28/04
Send PM

#331089 - 09/02/14 09:15 PM

> Well after having played some more, I'm now fairly convinced that the problem, in a
> nutshell, lies with me! I play MAME on a projection screen at 110" and I think that
> has an effect on the way I perceive the motion of Ms Pac-man. Going from the standard
> cab with a 27"(?) monitor to a large 110" 16:9 screen gives me the illusion that the
> larger than life yellow gobbler is moving faster due to playing on an unusually
> colossal display.
>

Hold the phone..... 'standard cab with a 27"(?) monitor to a large 110" '

Sounds like you are talking about either the 20th Anniversary Galaga / Ms. Pac-Man Machine or the 25th Anniversary Pac-Man (that has Pac, Ms. Pac and Galaga). If that is the case, the speedup hack is encoded in the roms and is NOT a hack. Two ways to access it. One is in the operator settings (software, as newer machines do not use dip switches). The other is to insert the coin(s) and when you are at the screen asking what game to select, press the joystick Left, Right, Left, Right, Up, Up, Up, Fire. You will hear a noise, and the game will play at turbo speed.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Re: Which Ms Pac-man rom perfectly emulates the Bally Midway speed up version? new [Re: sirscotty]
#331135 - 09/03/14 08:24 PM

> Sounds like you are talking about either the 20th Anniversary Galaga / Ms. Pac-Man Machine or the 25th Anniversary Pac-Man...

No, he's just talking about MAME at his house.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Which Ms Pac-man rom perfectly emulates the Bally Midway speed up version? new [Re: Traso]
#331147 - 09/03/14 09:19 PM

> > Sounds like you are talking about either the 20th Anniversary Galaga / Ms. Pac-Man
> Machine or the 25th Anniversary Pac-Man...
>
>
> No, he's just talking about MAME at his house.

Yes I am indeed. not sure how sir scotty misinterpreted it any other way.

Qun Mang
Legend of Link
Reged: 12/12/03
Loc: Hidden Hyrulian city Lurkopolis
Send PM

#331151 - 09/03/14 10:00 PM

> > > Sounds like you are talking about either the 20th Anniversary Galaga / Ms.
> Pac-Man
> > Machine or the 25th Anniversary Pac-Man...
> >
> >
> > No, he's just talking about MAME at his house.
>
> Yes I am indeed. not sure how sir scotty misinterpreted it any other way.

edit: never mind- RB said it better

Edited by Qun Mang (09/03/14 10:16 PM)

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#331154 - 09/03/14 10:05 PM

Because you said the original cab has a 27" screen, which is true of the anniversary editions but not of any original Bally/Midway Ms. Pac (which was a 19" CRT like nearly all early 80s games).

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Which Ms Pac-man rom perfectly emulates the Bally Midway speed up version? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#331173 - 09/04/14 07:16 AM

> > Yes I am indeed. not sure how sir scotty misinterpreted it any other way.
>
> Because you said the original cab has a 27" screen, which is true of the anniversary
> editions but not of any original Bally/Midway Ms. Pac (which was a 19" CRT like
> nearly all early 80s games).

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Oh my bad then. I forgot I had said it was 27" but then again that was just a guess on my part. The screen in the OG cab is only 19"? Well damn, that's smaller than I thought, and I play on the damn thing nearly every day LOL. I guess the cab somehow makes it look slightly bigger to my eyes, or maybe it's the orientation.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#331224 - 09/04/14 06:09 PM

> Oh my bad then. I forgot I had said it was 27" but then again that was just a guess
> on my part. The screen in the OG cab is only 19"? Well damn, that's smaller than I
> thought, and I play on the damn thing nearly every day LOL. I guess the cab somehow
> makes it look slightly bigger to my eyes, or maybe it's the orientation.

It's mostly because you're very close to it. In the 70s and 80s it was routine to sit 8+ feet from a 19" TV, so having one about a foot and a half from your face made it seem huge.

sirscotty
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/28/04
Send PM

#331231 - 09/04/14 08:41 PM

> > > Sounds like you are talking about either the 20th Anniversary Galaga / Ms.
> Pac-Man
> > Machine or the 25th Anniversary Pac-Man...
> >
> >
> > No, he's just talking about MAME at his house.
>

I understood the question perfectly. In your opinion the computer at your house running Mame is not running Ms. Pac-Man in turbo at the same speed as the one you play at the Laundromat that you say might be on a 27" monitor. My response was that if it is a 27" monitor, it is either the 25th Anniversary Pac-Man or the 20th Anniversary Galaga/Ms. Pac-Man, which both have turbo mode as a configuration in the operator setting, or as a joystick combo that the player can access. This was not the case on the original cabinets that used 19" monitors. Can you snap a cell phone pic next time you are at said laundromat and post it to this forum?

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 273 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2648