View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/15/07
Send PM

Chankast vs MakeronEX vs Demul vs NullDC
#330515 - 08/24/14 07:59 PM

So what are your experiences with the current state of Dreamcast emulation these days? Which of the above emulators is considered to have the best compatibility? I have browsed various Sega websites and no group seems to be in unanimous agreement as to which DC emu is the best. I've heard demul is fantastic and getting better, then I go to another forum where people say MakeronEX is the creme-dela-creme and can't be topped.

So what is the best one in your opinion?

My specs:

Windows 7 64bit Ultimate

Intel Bloomfield Core i7 950 OC'ed @ 4.0Ghz(getting long in the tooth for sure)

Nvidia 680GTX 4GB(Not ancient by any means, but certainly no longer cutting edge)

6GB DDR3 Ram

2TB Seagate HDD

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Chankast vs MakeronEX vs Demul vs NullDC new [Re: Outrun2006]
#330606 - 08/25/14 05:37 PM

> So what are your experiences with the current state of Dreamcast emulation these
> days? Which of the above emulators is considered to have the best compatibility? I
> have browsed various Sega websites and no group seems to be in unanimous agreement as
> to which DC emu is the best. I've heard demul is fantastic and getting better, then I
> go to another forum where people say MakeronEX is the creme-dela-creme and can't be
> topped.

Honestly it's a "different people have different needs" kind of situation. For home games Makaron is probably the most accurate, but Demul is far easier to set up and use, and gets updated a bit more often.

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Chankast vs MakeronEX vs Demul vs NullDC new [Re: R. Belmont]
#330607 - 08/25/14 05:45 PM

Thanks arbee. I'll check em both out.

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Send PM

#330608 - 08/25/14 05:47 PM

Oh and by the way, does anyone know if either of these emulators support zip or 7z file formats? And do the games need to be mounted ie SSF?

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#330613 - 08/25/14 06:52 PM

> Oh and by the way, does anyone know if either of these emulators support zip or 7z
> file formats? And do the games need to be mounted ie SSF?

I don't believe they support zip or 7z however, with a registered version of GameEX it has the ability to unpack + auto mount if that's what your after.

Beware though, it's not the easiest to setup if you've never looked at it before.

The last I remember with NullDC (It's been a couple years) you didn't have to mount anything. you just run the GDI or w/e

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Chankast vs MakeronEX vs Demul vs NullDC new [Re: B2K24]
#330644 - 08/26/14 05:30 AM

> > Oh and by the way, does anyone know if either of these emulators support zip or 7z
> > file formats? And do the games need to be mounted ie SSF?
>
> I don't believe they support zip or 7z however, with a registered version of GameEX
> it has the ability to unpack + auto mount if that's what your after.
>
> Beware though, it's not the easiest to setup if you've never looked at it before.
>
> The last I remember with NullDC (It's been a couple years) you didn't have to mount
> anything. you just run the GDI or w/e
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Good lookin' B

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Send PM

#331094 - 09/02/14 11:32 PM

OK I have tried all three now. They pretty much have their weaknesses and benefits, but none of them are completely satisfactory. NullDC is OK but quite unstable. Demul has good features but is also a bit unstable and SLOOOOW. MakaronEX is the fastest and most accurate, but my god it's lacking so many basic options.

Unless I'm mistaken, MakeronEX has NO option to toggle between fullscreen and windowed mode. If somebody could please please PLEEEAAAASE figure out a way to do this I would eternally grateful. The emu doesn't support save states and doesn't support a whole host of other things, but I admit it ran the few games I threw at it.... Grandia II, Alone in the Dark and Sonic Adventures 2 at seemingly full speed and even outputs a better image than both NullDc and Demul.

Belmont or whoever else is reading PLEASE for the love of God could you see if there is a way to toggle between fullscreen and windowed in MakaronEX. Pressing alt-tab or even alt+enter does nothing. I simply refuse to believe this is not possible on an emu that was just updated a little over a year ago. That is all I ask and then I'll be golden.

uman
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/15/12
Send PM

#331095 - 09/03/14 12:05 AM

Please look into your Makeron .ini file and enable fullscreen.

fullscreen = 0 ---Set to 1 to enable, press Alt+F4 to quit

First hit on Google by the way: http://ngemu.com/threads/makaron-12-full-setup-guide-and-ins.137816/

dont know if it helps, as you want to toggle between fullscreen and windowed.

Edited by uman (09/03/14 12:10 AM)

Ziggy100
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/14/08
Send PM

#331096 - 09/03/14 12:09 AM

Quote:

Unless I'm mistaken, MakeronEX has NO option to toggle between fullscreen and windowed mode.

Huh?

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Chankast vs MakeronEX vs Demul vs NullDC new [Re: Ziggy100]
#331097 - 09/03/14 12:20 AM

Dude....I'm talking about *AFTER* the game has already started running. Once you launch the game that's it....you're either stuck with fullscreen or windowed. If I have to access my web browser or anti-virus software because of some spyware or some shit, and Makaron has already started, I'm screwed. The ONLY option would be to quit and lose all my progress. And since Makaraon doesn't support save states well.....

I've never seen an emulator like this.

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Send PM

#331101 - 09/03/14 12:50 AM

Nevermind guys, I can't have proper fullscreen/windowed toggle ability, fine...I found another way.... WindowedBorderlessGaming for the WIN!!!! Now I can run the damn emu in "fake" fullscreen and it's all good now.

Damn I love WBG. Such a great app.

Oh and great SCOTT GigaWing 2 is a fucking GORGEOUS looking game!!!!!

uman
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/15/12
Send PM

#331103 - 09/03/14 01:02 AM

Yeah and Makeron is for the ass.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 330 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 8675