Girl Watcher
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Boston, Mass.
Send PM

Tom Hanks Made an iPad App
#330416 - 08/23/14 03:13 AM

http://youtu.be/qg2ed8Sl1uk

--
A story of one man and his obsession with the female anatomy.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Re: Tom Hanks Made an iPad App new [Re: Andrew]
#330418 - 08/23/14 03:55 AM

I hope nobody tosses their iPads up like this.

LEVEL-4

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Re: Tom Hanks Made an iPad App new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#330420 - 08/23/14 04:11 AM

> I hope nobody tosses their iPads up like this.

Even better. Trying to put it into the mail box to mail it off. Someone will get a free iPad.

Does the person sound like Tom Hanks on the YouTube video?

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Re: Tom Hanks Made an iPad App new [Re: Dullaron]
#330422 - 08/23/14 04:24 AM

> Does the person sound like Tom Hanks on the YouTube video?

His voice sounds quite similar, but there's a different quality to it. Perhaps due to head or mouth shape....?

LEVEL-4

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Tom Hanks Made an iPad App new [Re: Andrew]
#330429 - 08/23/14 05:32 AM

WTF I can't imagine a typewriter emulator ever being "excellent" - can't emulate the feeling of slamming the carriage back with a palm strike, dammit.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Re: Tom Hanks Made an iPad App new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#330469 - 08/23/14 08:36 PM

> WTF I can't imagine a typewriter emulator ever being "excellent" - can't emulate the feeling of slamming the carriage back with a palm strike, dammit.

I just don't get it. I mean, I get why people would want it....but, I never would. The only device I want to handle that much is a brawny, bonnie lass. Fuck.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Tom Hanks Made an iPad App new [Re: Traso]
#330492 - 08/24/14 06:20 AM

> I just don't get it. I mean, I get why people would want it....but, I never would.
> The only device I want to handle that much is a brawny, bonnie lass. Fuck.

Using a real typewriter has a big effect on the writing process vs a word processor. You can't edit as you go, so you do the whole thing, mark up your edits on the paper, then type the whole thing with the edits in place. In theory you could work that way on a computer, but it isn't encouraged, while a typewriter forces it. A typewriter also forces you to think about word wrap and hyphenation when you get to the end of a line.

Also, there's the "one-off" aspect, as with a Polaroid instant camera. If you type something up and hand the paper to someone, that's the one copy outside your mind that you've given them. Making another copy requires that either you type it again (which may introduce subtle differences) or that they duplicate it. It gives more control to the recipient of the artefact.

Typewriter emulator doesn't provide these aspects.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

#330523 - 08/24/14 09:17 PM

> Using a real typewriter has a big effect on the writing process vs a word processor. You can't edit as you go, so you do the whole thing, mark up your edits on the paper, then type the whole thing with the edits in place. In theory you could work that way on a computer, but it isn't encouraged, while a typewriter forces it. A typewriter also forces you to think about word wrap and hyphenation when you get to the end of a line.
>
> Also, there's the "one-off" aspect, as with a Polaroid instant camera. If you type something up and hand the paper to someone, that's the one copy outside your mind that you've given them. Making another copy requires that either you type it again (which may introduce subtle differences) or that they duplicate it. It gives mor> control to the recipient of the artefact.
>
> Typewriter emulator doesn't provide these aspects.

Yeah, there's no going back....outside of technology-reducing cataclysm.

Ville Linde
Slacker
Reged: 05/09/04
Send PM

All work and no play makes Tom a dull boy. (nt) new [Re: Andrew]
#330526 - 08/24/14 09:26 PM

> http://youtu.be/qg2ed8Sl1uk

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#330577 - 08/25/14 06:43 AM

I don't think any of those things have anything to do with someone wanting this type of thing. It's more that once you're used to a medium for writing, switching can stop and blank your flow, like getting to sleep with a fan (noise) on for 20 years and one night it breaks and you can't get to sleep.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#330578 - 08/25/14 07:01 AM

I loved the feel of the later IBM Selectrics (and I'm just old enough to have taken typing on them in high school instead of computers), but I don't find anything else about the typewriter experience particularly compelling. Correction tape vs. the delete key is no contest.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Tom Hanks Made an iPad App new [Re: R. Belmont]
#330618 - 08/25/14 07:30 PM

> I loved the feel of the later IBM Selectrics (and I'm just old enough to have taken typing on them in high school instead of computers)...

Yeah! Red (and perhaps blue) thick hard-ass plastic bombers! They were like power steering: you could feel the hammer move and strike when you pressed the keyboard key.

> but I don't find anything else> about the typewriter experience particularly compelling. Correction tape vs. the delete key is no contest.

Nope. And trying to find the little spaces left in the tape, cos tape was scarce and of course for the school expensive.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
1 registered and 343 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2041