MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

haynor666
Reged: 05/06/06
Loc: Tarnobrzeg/Poland
Send PM

Star Force by Taito
#330270 - 08/21/14 12:34 PM

I've came across flyer for Star Force but made by Taito

It looks like a completly different game judging from cabinet and description but system16 insist it's clone of Tehkan version.

Someone could provide any more information about this game?

Qun Mang
Legend of Link
Reged: 12/12/03
Loc: Hidden Hyrulian city Lurkopolis
Send PM

Re: Star Force by Taito new [Re: haynor666]
#330298 - 08/21/14 08:33 PM

Heh. Seeing Star Force and Taito in the same phrase made me think that I still want Taito Legends 2, but won't buy it because of the infamous Starforce DRM they used. The irony...

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Re: Star Force by Taito new [Re: Qun Mang]
#330299 - 08/21/14 10:42 PM

> Heh. Seeing Star Force and Taito in the same phrase made me think that I still want
> Taito Legends 2, but won't buy it because of the infamous Starforce DRM they used.
> The irony...

Not the same game as the flyer is showing. This is a vertical not horizontal. I can't even find this in MAME. Just the others in different driver that is a horizontal. Might not be dump.

Edit: I saw on a arcade database website that they put the horizontal game snapshot with this flyer. They got this all wrong on their database. They didn't look at the flyer to see it a vertical or horizontal screen. LOL

Anyway this is Starforce not Star Force.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Re: Star Force by Taito new [Re: Dullaron]
#330381 - 08/22/14 07:35 PM

> Edit: I saw on a arcade database website that they put the horizontal game snapshot with this flyer. They got this all wrong on their database. They didn't look at the flyer to see it a vertical or horizontal screen. LOL

Corroborating what Trig said.... But anything that doesn't show game play should be disregarded.

Of course, back in the day, console game boxes had ornate (or not) images of the concept (Atari 2600 Missile Command is one I always remember), but I think, and as I recall being mentioned some years ago, this stopped because it seemed fraudulent. By '82-ish, boxes of any console were starting to have images of the game...which was kind of anti-climactic because it showed how lame the graphics were - except for the Colecovision, and rightly so.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Star Force by Taito new [Re: Traso]
#330394 - 08/22/14 10:24 PM

> Of course, back in the day, console game boxes had ornate (or not) images of the
> concept (Atari 2600 Missile Command is one I always remember), but I think, and as I
> recall being mentioned some years ago, this stopped because it seemed fraudulent.

I didn't know anyone who thought those images represented the graphics (or anything other than the sheer amount of pot smoked in Sunnyvale back then), and I loved 'em. I love them even more now for the sheer ludicrousness.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: Star Force by Taito new [Re: haynor666]
#330396 - 08/22/14 10:47 PM

> I've came across flyer for Star Force but made by Taito
>
>
> It looks like a completly different game judging from cabinet and description but
> system16 insist it's clone of Tehkan version.
>
> Someone could provide any more information about this game?

Google says there was a PCB up for auction in Chile here:
http://listado.mercadolibre.cl/maquina-video-arcade-taito-original-star-force-tarjeta
Though it may be gone and/or SEO spam.

The Taito Board List (taken from the old Wiretap Archive) gives its PCB PNs:
http://www.jammajup.co.uk/pinouts/Taito_BoardList.txt

- Stiletto

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Re: Star Force by Taito new [Re: R. Belmont]
#330468 - 08/23/14 08:29 PM

> > Of course, back in the day, console game boxes had ornate (or not) images of the concept (Atari 2600 Missile Command is one I always remember), but I think, and as I recall being mentioned some years ago, this stopped because it seemed fraudulent.

> I didn't know anyone who thought those images represented the graphics (or anything other than the sheer amount of pot smoked in Sunnyvale back then), and I loved 'em. I love them even more now for the sheer ludicrousness.

The box images were exciting, and then the games weren't necessarily. I had a conversation about it with another kid round '82. And I think there was something on the news/60 minutes/something about it. I think it was, plain and simple, a matter of hyping the game with pretty box art.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Pi
Allergic to life
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Room 101
Send PM

Re: Star Force by Taito new [Re: Stiletto]
#330620 - 08/25/14 07:43 PM

> Google says there was a PCB up for auction in Chile here:
> http://listado.mercadolibre.cl/maquina-video-arcade-taito-original-star-force-tarjeta
> Though it may be gone and/or SEO spam.

I can confirm that there's no Taito Star Force there.

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.
I can't get it right / Get it right / Since I met you...

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: Star Force by Taito new [Re: Pi]
#330623 - 08/25/14 07:57 PM

> > Google says there was a PCB up for auction in Chile here:
> >
> http://listado.mercadolibre.cl/maquina-video-arcade-taito-original-star-force-tarjeta
> > Though it may be gone and/or SEO spam.
>
> I can confirm that there's no Taito Star Force there.

Ah, I should've been clearer. I meant to say "it looks like there may have been one there at some point."
https://www.google.com/search?num=100&am...re.cl&btnG=
But the auction doesn't seem to have been archived by Google or Archive.org.
Which makes me think that they have robots.txt set so that auctions can't be archived, or that they had used SEO to make it appear as if there had been an auction there but there never was.

- Stiletto

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 322 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 4003