Part-time Lurker
Reged: 05/22/13
Loc: Mount St. Lurkling
Send PM

Road Blasters upright vs cockpit screen
#329849 - 08/13/14 08:50 AM

Road Blaster's history.dat says the following:

Quote:

This large sit-down cockpit model has a plastic lens over the monitor which enlarges the screen to make it seem like a 25-inch CRT, in a fashion similar to that used in very early TV sets during the 1950s.

I took in-game snapshots of the upright parent and the cockpit clone and compared them and didn't see any difference in size. So apparently this enlargement wasn't emulated for the cockpit clone? Probably because this enlargement effect had nothing to do with the actual game/ROM/PCB. Well, can't Mr. Do! or someone simulate this enlargement effect with an artwork file? Has this enlargement effect ever been implemented for any other game in MAME?

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

.....um......get a bigger monitor? new [Re: Big Karnak]
#329875 - 08/13/14 11:00 PM

While there is, as I recall, some visual artifact in this, a blurring of the outer edge I think, wanting to emulate it seems a bit....mis-directed.....

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: Road Blasters upright vs cockpit screen new [Re: Big Karnak]
#329887 - 08/14/14 12:11 AM

> Road Blaster's history.dat says the following:
> This large sit-down cockpit model has a plastic lens over the monitor which enlarges
> the screen to make it seem like a 25-inch CRT, in a fashion similar to that used in
> very early TV sets during the 1950s.
> I took in-game snapshots of the upright parent and the cockpit clone and compared
> them and didn't see any difference in size. So apparently this enlargement wasn't
> emulated for the cockpit clone? Probably because this enlargement effect had nothing
> to do with the actual game/ROM/PCB. Well, can't Mr. Do! or someone simulate this
> enlargement effect with an artwork file? Has this enlargement effect ever been
> implemented for any other game in MAME?

It's been a very long time since I played the one Jeff (and yaggy?) brought from Videotopia to the old local videogame convention.
I seem to remember setting the high score, but they may have been cleared prior to setup.

Anyways, I think this would be better off for HLSL/GLSL to simulate, you're talking about optical magnification/warping effects. The artwork system doesn't really have anything to do with this.

There's a decent amount of games which used various types of lenses to magnify. Lots of physical effects remain un-simulated by MAME. It's debatable whether this should be a project goal. You can only go so far with simulation of this kind and remain "accurate".

- Stiletto

yaggy
Coin-op fixer
Reged: 01/23/05
Loc: Philadelphia
Send PM

Re: Road Blasters upright vs cockpit screen new [Re: Stiletto]
#330167 - 08/19/14 10:41 PM

I wouldn't consider it any kind of real enhancement. It was a chintzy way of getting a bigger image. Super Monaco GP did the same thing, it's called a Fresnel lense.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Re: Road Blasters upright vs cockpit screen new [Re: yaggy]
#330223 - 08/20/14 09:00 PM

> I wouldn't consider it any kind of real enhancement. It was a chintzy way of getting
> a bigger image. Super Monaco GP did the same thing, it's called a Fresnel lense.

Like I said. I think the same thing used on over-head projectors. A better implantation. Color was a problem, though.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 309 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2406