Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Kohl's: where it's still 1974.
#329764 - 08/12/14 03:13 AM

Ad I just saw on TV...

Kohl's Back-to-school tees for boys...

Exactly three examples are given...

Pink Floyd, Woodstock, Lynyrd Skynyrd.

There is nothing today's youth would rather wear? These actually predate my school years. By a bit.

Gor
Giver of truth.
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: The basement
Send PM

Re: Kohl's: where it's still 1974. new [Re: TriggerFin]
#329786 - 08/12/14 02:12 PM

> Ad I just saw on TV...
>
> Kohl's Back-to-school tees for boys...
>
> Exactly three examples are given...
>
> Pink Floyd, Woodstock, Lynyrd Skynyrd.
>
> There is nothing today's youth would rather wear? These actually predate my school
> years. By a bit.

Awesome, I need a new Floyd shirt.

Oh for Pete's sake.
loser.com

JWJr
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/15/04
Send PM

#329787 - 08/12/14 02:19 PM

> Ad I just saw on TV...
>
> Kohl's Back-to-school tees for boys...
>
> Exactly three examples are given...
>
>
> There is nothing today's youth would rather wear? These actually predate my school
> years. By a bit.

I am always astounded at the number of Led Zep "swan song" shirts I see around. -JW

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

Re: Kohl's: where it's still 1974. new [Re: Gor]
#329789 - 08/12/14 03:08 PM

> > Ad I just saw on TV...
> >
> > Kohl's Back-to-school tees for boys...
> >
> > Exactly three examples are given...
> >
> > Pink Floyd, Woodstock, Lynyrd Skynyrd.
> >
> > There is nothing today's youth would rather wear? These actually predate my school
> > years. By a bit.
>
> Awesome, I need a new Floyd shirt.

I never considered wearing a Benny Goodman tee to school. Or even Cab Calloway.

(To be honest, though, I've never worn decorated shirts if I could help it. My Floyd shirt hangs next to my NY/NJ Knights and Desert Storm shirts.)

Edited by TriggerFin (08/12/14 03:40 PM)

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

Re: Kohl's: where it's still 1974. new [Re: Gor]
#329790 - 08/12/14 03:16 PM

Can you think of any of today's manufactured 1 download wonder groups that will still be listened to 40 years from now? If something better doesn't come along to make you forget about it long term then there you go....

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#329792 - 08/12/14 05:25 PM

Something I've noticed is that "kids these days" are surprisingly conversant with music predating sometimes even their parents' birth. YouTube means you can check out pretty much any band you hear about from any time period without being held hostage by the selection of your local record store and/or forking over $12.95+ for something you don't know if you're going to like. And so any kid now who expresses an interest in metal to his friends will get sent directly to Black Sabbath's "Paranoid", and will probably be wearing an Ozzy shirt about 2 weeks later.

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

#329798 - 08/12/14 06:17 PM

> My Floyd shirt hangs next to my NY/NJ Knights and Desert Storm shirts.)

WHY are you hanging Desert Storm shirts?

Not knocking you, or veterans as a whole, just saying I never got it. Lots of vets... until the day they die... identify themselves as a vet. Wear the hats, get the license plate, attend various gatherings and clubs... my Dad included... goes around wearing a Korea hat, with people doing the whole "thank you for your service" thing all day... even though he never saw any combat... was just in the Navy at the time. (Actually, that irks me... I think he's basking in the glory paid for by the blood of others, not his, but that's another story and I never say anything to my Dad about my disapproval of his affiliating himself with actual combat veterans, but I digress).

If it was a smashing good time like Woodstock I can see doing that... "I was there, man... "

I can't say it was a smashing good time. I hardly care to see reminders decorating my house. Jes saying'. It's just my choice is all.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Re: Kohl's: where it's still 1974. new [Re: R. Belmont]
#329807 - 08/12/14 08:06 PM

> Something I've noticed is that "kids these days" are surprisingly conversant with music predating sometimes even their parents' birth. YouTube means you can check out pretty much any band you hear about from any time period without being held hostage by the selection of your local record store and/or forking over $12.95+ for something you don't know if you're going to like. And so any kid now who expresses an interest in metal to his friends will get sent directly to Black Sabbath's "Paranoid", and will probably be wearing an Ozzy shirt about 2 weeks later.

Sabbath is not metal. It's acid rock.

Yeah, a lot of the youth do know a bit more about popcul before their time than I did pre-adult. It may give them a greater sensibility, but I don't see them evolving into a grander one because of it.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

Re: Kohl's: where it's still 1974. new [Re: GatKong]
#329827 - 08/13/14 12:44 AM

> > My Floyd shirt hangs next to my NY/NJ Knights and Desert Storm shirts.)
>
> WHY are you hanging Desert Storm shirts?

Hanging... in the closet. I know I made it sound like they're on display, but they really aren't. I don't have free wall space for such things. In fact... looking around... I don't have any decoration that isn't actual furniture, or the things the furniture is meant to hold. A mechanical cuckoo clock that I let run down years ago because it's in the same room as the TV is about it. My bust of Caesar* is still in its box.

*The PotA DVDs it came with are on the rack, though) --HAH!

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Kohl's: where it's still 1974. new [Re: Bad A Billy]
#329835 - 08/13/14 02:57 AM

> Can you think of any of today's manufactured 1 download wonder groups that will still
> be listened to 40 years from now? If something better doesn't come along to make you
> forget about it long term then there you go....

Old music only seems better because of the filtering effect of time. There was plenty of shit music in the '70s, we've just forgotten about it. We only remember the gems. In forty years, assuming we're still alive, we'll only remember the gems from this decade.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

Re: Kohl's: where it's still 1974. new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#329853 - 08/13/14 11:04 AM

> > Can you think of any of today's manufactured 1 download wonder groups that will
> still
> > be listened to 40 years from now? If something better doesn't come along to make
> you
> > forget about it long term then there you go....
>
> Old music only seems better because of the filtering effect of time. There was plenty
> of shit music in the '70s, we've just forgotten about it. We only remember the gems.
> In forty years, assuming we're still alive, we'll only remember the gems from this
> decade.

They weren't Guns 'n' Roses or Nirvana shirts. They weren't... um... hmm, a "gem" from this decade... uh... hang on, let me check Amazon... screw that, I just searched Amazon Prime "Music > Songs > Pop," sorting by "New and Popular," and the second choice was Journey's "Don't Stop Believin'."

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Kohl's: where it's still 1974. new [Re: Traso]
#329856 - 08/13/14 04:42 PM

> Sabbath is not metal. It's acid rock.

Metal owes a *lot* to Sabbath and Ozzy. The modern obsession with sub-sub-dividing musical genres is the stupidest shit ever.

lharms
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

#329862 - 08/13/14 05:43 PM

> They weren't Guns 'n' Roses or Nirvana shirts. They weren't... um... hmm, a "gem"
> from this decade... uh... hang on, let me check Amazon... screw that, I just searched
> Amazon Prime "Music > Songs > Pop," sorting by "New and Popular," and the second
> choice was Journey's "Don't Stop Believin'."

Amazon will tailor the results for you. I found it tweaks its pages depending on what you looked at in the last few weeks. They are a selection engine. They knew you liked something sorta like that in the past and try to offer you more...

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

Re: Kohl's: where it's still 1974. new [Re: R. Belmont]
#329865 - 08/13/14 06:25 PM

> Metal owes a *lot* to Sabbath and Ozzy. The modern obsession with sub-sub-dividing
> musical genres is the stupidest shit ever.

Agree. For them who can't beat the best or reach the top, they make their own sub-sub-sub-sub-genre. So they compete with 2 or 3 other unknown bands, ignore the rest and proclaim as the better ones.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

Re: Kohl's: where it's still 1974. new [Re: lharms]
#329878 - 08/13/14 11:04 PM

> > They weren't Guns 'n' Roses or Nirvana shirts. They weren't... um... hmm, a "gem"
> > from this decade... uh... hang on, let me check Amazon... screw that, I just
> searched
> > Amazon Prime "Music > Songs > Pop," sorting by "New and Popular," and the second
> > choice was Journey's "Don't Stop Believin'."
>
> Amazon will tailor the results for you. I found it tweaks its pages depending on what
> you looked at in the last few weeks. They are a selection engine. They knew you liked
> something sorta like that in the past and try to offer you more...

The next song I recognized was Phil Collins at #12. The rest... some kind of rap thing was #1, so....

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Send PM

#329880 - 08/13/14 11:09 PM

> The rest... some kind of crap thing was #1, so....

FTFY. Why do so many people spell that wrong?

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Kohl's: where it's still 1974. new [Re: BIOS-D]
#329894 - 08/14/14 02:11 AM

> > Metal owes a *lot* to Sabbath and Ozzy. The modern obsession with sub-sub-dividing musical genres is the stupidest shit ever.

> Agree. For them who can't beat the best or reach the top, they make their own sub-sub-sub-sub-genre. So they compete with 2 or 3 other unknown bands, ignore the rest and proclaim as the better ones.

I look at it like this: without Elvis.....

Categories are useful. Except when those in popcul are making them, particularly the kiddies who feel that 'core' is something fundamental.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

#329900 - 08/14/14 05:24 AM Attachment: Clipboard01.png 110 KB (0 downloads)

> > The rest... some kind of crap thing was #1, so....
>
> FTFY. Why do so many people spell that wrong?

It might have been one of those hippity-hop songs. Not sure.

But looking again, there are actually 4 out of the top 15 that I know. I didn't recognize Redbone as being someone I've heard before at first. The rest of this stuff... I've no idea what it is. Kid Rock? Did I see him in that Pamela Anderson cartoon on Spike way back?

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

#329901 - 08/14/14 05:40 AM

> > > Metal owes a *lot* to Sabbath and Ozzy. The modern obsession with
> sub-sub-dividing musical genres is the stupidest shit ever.
>
>
> > Agree. For them who can't beat the best or reach the top, they make their own
> sub-sub-sub-sub-genre. So they compete with 2 or 3 other unknown bands, ignore the
> rest and proclaim as the better ones.
>
>
> I look at it like this: without Elvis.....
>
> Categories are useful. Except when those in popcul are making them, particularly the
> kiddies who feel that 'core' is something fundamental.

Well, the core is the core. So, it has to fundamental. Unless they're just making stuff up, right?

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Send PM

#329947 - 08/15/14 05:21 AM

> Kid Rock? Did I see him in that Pamela Anderson cartoon on Spike way back?

Kid Rock? I kinda dig the guy. He got shut-out by the music industry, so he produced his own record, and walked it all around self promoting and made himself famous... that's kewl. And his music aint't half bad.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

#329959 - 08/15/14 02:02 PM

> > Kid Rock? Did I see him in that Pamela Anderson cartoon on Spike way back?
>
> Kid Rock? I kinda dig the guy. He got shut-out by the music industry, so he produced
> his own record, and walked it all around self promoting and made himself famous...
> that's kewl. And his music aint't half bad.

Right at this moment I know more about him as most of the others in that list. Playing the video would be overkill.

But to the original point, even he's a bit old for... well, maybe not. Skynyrd was a common T-shirt choice when I was in high school (along with Rush, but not so much Floyd). So a decade or so.

Green Day was just off the bottom of that image, but I thought they were pretty much over. Bruno Mars and Jason Mraz I've heard of, but I can't imagine teen boys liking someone with those names. Gotta have a cool name, right? Only the girls can like someone with a name that "normal." Ke$ha... as far as I know, is in a "what did she do now?" situation at this point.

Without knowing music from any of them, I'm guessing the only one I'd see my hypothetical 15-year-old wearing is Daft Punk. Others are, well, YOU aren't all that close to being a teen either (though the kids might have buffered that quite a bit).

I see "J-pop" seems to have been replaced by "K-pop." Rambling....

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

#329980 - 08/15/14 09:32 PM

> Kid Rock? I kinda dig the guy. He got shut-out by the music industry, so he produced his own record, and walked it all around self promoting and made himself famous... that's kewl. And his music aint't half bad.

Hey, dirt road tire squealing in there.......

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#330000 - 08/16/14 05:11 AM

> Hey, dirt road tire squealing in there.......

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Kohl's: where it's still 1974. new [Re: DMala]
#330089 - 08/18/14 07:57 PM

> > Hey, dirt road tire squealing in there.......

HEHN HEHN HEHN hehn hehn hehn. Yeah, huh?

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
1 registered and 373 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3217