MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/15/07
Send PM

Popular Amiga games that were ported over to consoles?
#329312 - 08/05/14 12:38 PM

Been getting into Amiga emulation again lately and remembered enjoying some classics like Dungeon Master, etc.

I remember seeing some games ported over to either the Genesis, the Snes or both, like Dungeon Master and Jaguar XJ22. What are some other good and popular Amiga games that were ported over to either the Genesis, snes, or (insert xxx console here)? And were any of them better than their Amiga counterparts?

RetroFan4554
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/20/14
Send PM

Re: Popular Amiga games that were ported over to consoles? new [Re: Outrun2006]
#329313 - 08/05/14 12:41 PM

> Been getting into Amiga emulation again lately and remembered enjoying some classics
> like Dungeon Master, etc.
>
> I remember seeing some games ported over to either the Genesis, the Snes or both,
> like Dungeon Master and Jaguar XJ22. What are some other good and popular Amiga games
> that were ported over to either the Genesis, snes, or (insert xxx console here)? And
> were any of them better than their Amiga counterparts?

Flashback and Blackthorne, really good Games but were also on MS-Dos as well as far as i know, so what system they originated on i am not sure, probably Amiga.

I am the original retro game dork.

RetroFan4554
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Popular Amiga games that were ported over to consoles? new [Re: RetroFan4554]
#329314 - 08/05/14 12:46 PM

> > Been getting into Amiga emulation again lately and remembered enjoying some
> classics
> > like Dungeon Master, etc.
> >
> > I remember seeing some games ported over to either the Genesis, the Snes or both,
> > like Dungeon Master and Jaguar XJ22. What are some other good and popular Amiga
> games
> > that were ported over to either the Genesis, snes, or (insert xxx console here)?
> And
> > were any of them better than their Amiga counterparts?
>
> Flashback and Blackthorne, really good Games but were also on MS-Dos as well as far
> as i know, so what system they originated on i am not sure, probably Amiga.

I am wrong and right, Flashback was created for the Amiga then ported over to the MS-Dos and the consoles, Blackthorne was made for PC and consoles.

Best games ever apart from Zelda and Super Metroid, Super Metroid is probably the best game i have ever played, long live the SNES, Zelda A Link To The Past was good but The Minish Cap was better, it introduced the Minish element to the game where you could shrink and go where full sized humans cant go, long live the GBA as well.

There was also a lot of enjoyable Dos games like Paganitzu and God Of Thunder but the animation wasn't up to scratch for the consoles as with Flashback that had excellent animation in its day, Mystic Towers would of suited the Genesis well.

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Popular Amiga games that were ported over to consoles? new [Re: RetroFan4554]
#329315 - 08/05/14 01:26 PM

Quote:

> > > Been getting into Amiga emulation again lately and remembered enjoying some
> > classics
> > > like Dungeon Master, etc.
> > >
> > > I remember seeing some games ported over to either the Genesis, the Snes or both,
> > > like Dungeon Master and Jaguar XJ22. What are some other good and popular Amiga
> > games
> > > that were ported over to either the Genesis, snes, or (insert xxx console here)?
> > And
> > > were any of them better than their Amiga counterparts?
> >
> > Flashback and Blackthorne, really good Games but were also on MS-Dos as well as far
> > as i know, so what system they originated on i am not sure, probably Amiga.
>
>
> I am wrong and right, Flashback was created for the Amiga then ported over to the
> MS-Dos and the consoles, Blackthorne was made for PC and consoles.
>
> Best games ever apart from Zelda and Super Metroid, Super Metroid is probably the
> best game i have ever played, long live the SNES, Zelda A Link To The Past was good
> but The Minish Cap was better, it introduced the Minish element to the game where you
> could shrink and go where full sized humans cant go, long live the GBA as well.
>
> There was also a lot of enjoyable Dos games like Paganitzu and God Of Thunder but the
> animation wasn't up to scratch for the consoles as with Flashback that had excellent
> animation in its day, Mystic Towers would of suited the Genesis well.

Good post bro. Playing some amiga games today, I realized there are quite a few games that look good, but move very choppy. Feary tale, Budokan, Sword of Sodan, etc, all have pretty bad framerates. Their sprite movement is sub-par compared to games on the snes where they look much smoother. I wonder why that is?

I have been having sort of a difficult time adjusting and re-learning all the ins and outs of Amiga emulation, as anyone who frequents the mess forums can attest to. WinUAE and FS-UAE are great emulators but are still pretty complicated to set up perfectly and fine tune right.

WHDLoad games can be played via Win-AUE/FS-UAE but there is no save state support. Using floppies is the alternative choice but then you have to put up with obnoxious loading times and several different versions containing multiple disks and cracked versions that don't work, etc etc etc. All of these headaches combined is the reason I kinda prefer to just play Amiga ports on snes or genesis, via MESS. It's much MUCH easier and convenient.

Anyway sorry for the rant, back on topic....holy smokes they ported Drakken to the snes!!! Cool! Too bad there doesn't seem to be a port of The Secret of Monkey Island though

RetroFan4554
MAME Fan
Send PM

#329316 - 08/05/14 01:55 PM

> Good post bro. Playing some amiga games today, I realized there are quite a few games
> that look good, but move very choppy.

Winuae, i think it emulates the Amiga strictly so it might have something to do with the Amiga's CPU not been fast enough for the animation of the games developed for it to run them smoothly, it could of had a auto frameskip feature, i don't know to be honest, i never looked deeply into the specs of the Amiga. Graphically they wanted to be ahead of all the home systems and they achieved that but not without some issues. If them games were made to run at a frame-rate like that cause of system limitations, then it may not be possible to get them to run smoothly.

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Send PM

#329320 - 08/05/14 03:25 PM

Quote:

> Winuae, i think it emulates the Amiga strictly so it might have something to do with
> the Amiga's CPU not been fast enough for the animation of the games developed for it
> to run them smoothly, it could of had a auto frameskip feature, i don't know to be
> honest, i never looked deeply into the specs of the Amiga. Graphically they wanted to
> be ahead of all the home systems and they achieved that but not without some issues.
> If them games were made to run at a frame-rate like that cause of system limitations,
> then it may not be possible to get them to run smoothly.

Ahh, interesting

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#329329 - 08/05/14 05:32 PM

> Good post bro. Playing some amiga games today, I realized there are quite a few games
> that look good, but move very choppy. Feary tale, Budokan, Sword of Sodan, etc, all
> have pretty bad framerates. Their sprite movement is sub-par compared to games on the
> snes where they look much smoother. I wonder why that is?

It's a combination of fitting into the 512k stock on an A500 and the fact that the Amiga chipset was uniquely ill-suited to the kinds of "few dozen sprites + multiple scrolling backgrounds" games that even the NES could do in its sleep. And naturally those were the kinds of games people wanted to play at that time.

The Another World/Flashback/Gobliiins or Sierra SCI style of games where you had fixed backgrounds with animation over them was much more in its wheelhouse.

RetroFan4554
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Popular Amiga games that were ported over to consoles? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#329369 - 08/06/14 01:07 AM

> scrolling backgrounds" games that even the NES could do in its sleep. And naturally

Apart from the Sega CD i think Amiga had better graphics than the consoles especially with racers, more side animation like the coin-ops and they ran smoothly.

grog
Reged: 09/06/11
Send PM

Re: Popular Amiga games that were ported over to consoles? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#329374 - 08/06/14 01:53 AM

> The Another World/Flashback/Gobliiins or Sierra SCI style of games where you had
> fixed backgrounds with animation over them was much more in its wheelhouse.

agree yea, i liked amiga when it didnt try to do 'arcade games' and just enjoyed the other styles of games it was better at, eg. lemmings, prince of persia, worms, cannon fodder, and lots of others

Waremonger
Reged: 01/18/05
Send PM

#329388 - 08/06/14 05:38 AM

> that look good, but move very choppy. Feary tale, Budokan, Sword of Sodan, etc, all
> have pretty bad framerates. Their sprite movement is sub-par compared to games on the
> snes where they look much smoother. I wonder why that is?

Because, unfortunately, a lot of games on the Amiga were written in C and that is the result.

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Reged: 07/13/10
Loc: Macedonia,Veles
Send PM

Re: Popular Amiga games that were ported over to consoles? new [Re: Waremonger]
#329420 - 08/06/14 05:44 PM

> Because, unfortunately, a lot of games on the Amiga were written in C and that is the
> result.

Most of the games (especially the good ones) were programmed in machine language. (Assembler e.g. Seka)
And choppy animations were result of small-sized gfx memory. (1/2 MB and later 1 MB with ECS)

Ville Linde
Slacker
Reged: 05/09/04
Send PM

Re: Popular Amiga games that were ported over to consoles? new [Re: CTOJAH]
#329421 - 08/06/14 06:26 PM

> > Because, unfortunately, a lot of games on the Amiga were written in C and that is
> the
> > result.
>
> Most of the games (especially the good ones) were programmed in machine language.
> (Assembler e.g. Seka)
> And choppy animations were result of small-sized gfx memory. (1/2 MB and later 1 MB
> with ECS)

Also, you could do some impressive things with Copper trickery.
Like this:

http://www.codetapper.com/amiga/sprite-tricks/jim-power/
http://www.codetapper.com/amiga/sprite-tricks/agony/
http://www.codetapper.com/amiga/sprite-tricks/risky-woods/

But obviously not all programmers had the skills or time to pull off something like that.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Popular Amiga games that were ported over to consoles? new [Re: Ville Linde]
#329425 - 08/06/14 07:25 PM

> But obviously not all programmers had the skills or time to pull off something like
> that.

And if you were porting a game, it wouldn't always have been possible to fit it into those limitations without major alterations to the gameplay. (Admittedly, ports back then often *did* play fast and loose with things).

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 308 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2760