MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

URherenow
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Anybody hear of Cyber Knife?
#329227 - 08/04/14 04:57 PM

Apparently there is a kick ass machine now for destroying cancer with pin-point accuracy. Just watched a story about an 80 year old Japanese woman who had stage 4 cancer in her intestines. Her doctors told her that nothing could be done. She heard of this thing, tried it out... 4 treatments in 4 days. Cured. Because of the way the Japanese health care works and she's beyond working age, the whole thing cost her less than $100.

Unbelievable. It costs Americans more than that if 2 aspirins are administered in a hospital.

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Re: Anybody hear of Cyber Knife? new [Re: URherenow]
#329238 - 08/04/14 06:30 PM

> Apparently there is a kick ass machine now for destroying cancer with pin-point
> accuracy. Just watched a story about an 80 year old Japanese woman who had stage 4
> cancer in her intestines. Her doctors told her that nothing could be done. She heard
> of this thing, tried it out... 4 treatments in 4 days. Cured. Because of the way the
> Japanese health care works and she's beyond working age, the whole thing cost her
> less than $100.
>
> Unbelievable. It costs Americans more than that if 2 aspirins are administered in a
> hospital.

Found the website. http://www.cyberknife.com/

Machine move around I guest.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

Pi
Allergic to life
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Room 101
Send PM

#329239 - 08/04/14 06:32 PM Attachment: [w Yakin Jantou 1-2 Reprint Editon][t gamecg] 049_052.jpg 386 KB (0 downloads)

> Apparently there is a kick ass machine now for destroying cancer with pin-point
> accuracy. Just watched a story about an 80 year old Japanese woman who had stage 4
> cancer in her intestines. Her doctors told her that nothing could be done. She heard
> of this thing, tried it out... 4 treatments in 4 days. Cured. Because of the way the
> Japanese health care works and she's beyond working age, the whole thing cost her
> less than $100.

Urban legend. The Cyberknife is nothing more than a "more accurate" radiotherapy, but regarding survivability it has no better effect than normal radiotherapy.

> Unbelievable. It costs Americans more than that if 2 aspirins are administered in a
> hospital.

Watch "Sicko". If 1% of what Michael Moore says there is true, you're all screwed.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.
I can't get it right / Get it right / Since I met you...

URherenow
Send PM

Re: Anybody hear of Cyber Knife? new [Re: Pi]
#329258 - 08/05/14 12:47 AM

Not urban legend; It was an actual story. I watched it with my wife while she translated for me. This woman actually had stage 4 cancer. She now has none. She was interviewed and stuff (and it actually took place earlier THIS YEAR.

URherenow
Send PM

Re: Anybody hear of Cyber Knife? new [Re: Dullaron]
#329259 - 08/05/14 12:49 AM

there are something like 6 of them around mainland Japan.

Pi
Allergic to life
Send PM

#329302 - 08/05/14 10:00 AM

> Not urban legend; It was an actual story. I watched it with my wife while she
> translated for me. This woman actually had stage 4 cancer. She now has none. She was
> interviewed and stuff (and it actually took place earlier THIS YEAR.

To clarify: the urban legend is "miraculous machine can cure cancer without surgery". If that were true, every oncogenic treatment would be instantly outdated.

Ok, let me explain further. To treat some cancer tissue, you use radiotherapy of various kinds. You apply radiotherapy to the zone, and the cancer goes away or stays. CiberKnife is only a method to apply the same radiotherapy to the zone in a more accurate way, without radiating so much non-cancerigenous tissue. So while it could be regarded as "generally better" for the patient, it has nothing to do with survivability against the cancer. Wether the cancer goes or stays has nothing to do with how you apply the radiation to the zone, or the angle at you apply it, or the amount of surrounding tissue affected as well, as long as you apply the same amount in the same zone.

I don't dispute that a patient recovered after radiotherapy. I just say that if such cancer was affected by the radiotherapy, if she was treated by normal radiotherapy methods, she would have been cured as well. The use of CyberKnife is circumstancial, whatever their propaganda machine or news hype wants us to believe.

Despite having "knife" in its name, it has to do nothing with surgery. And the only improvement is the way of applying the radiotherapy, not the kind of exact radiotherapy it applies. There are other machines which use the same radiation device.

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.

URherenow
Send PM

#329308 - 08/05/14 11:44 AM

You're downplaying the significance too much. My eldest sister had breast cancer. She had to undergo a couple of months of chemo and believe me, that sucks. It's the most barbaric procedure anyone goes through, except for maybe amputation... since we've stopped doing the lobotomy thing. She had to do the chemo after having a double mastectomy.

Of course the cyber knife machine isn't useful for breast cancer, but one of the main points is that this woman with stage 4 cancer in her intestines, was treated 4 times in 4 days. That was it. Clean bill of health. I'd say that's pretty damn amazing.

Pi
Allergic to life
Send PM

#329327 - 08/05/14 05:28 PM

> You're downplaying the significance too much.

No, I'm not; I'd say you're overplaying its significance. The CyberKnife is not some kind of new treatment. It's the same old treatment applied in a different way. It generally improves the impact of radiotherapy on the patient, but as far as cancerous tissue goes, it's 100% the same. "The significance of CyberKnife" regarding cancerous tissue is 0.

Let me restate it. CyberKnife doesn't improve radiotherapy with a new radiation device which creates some kind of different ionizing radiation which is more effective against cancerous tissue. It uses the same device used in other radiotherapy machinery (something like SRBT ESRB or that), creating the same radiation as hundreds or thousands of other radiotherapy machines around the world.

To quote from Wikipedia: "The CyberKnife system is a method of delivering radiotherapy". And I don't see anything different stated anywhere in the two official sites either.

> > Of course the cyber knife machine isn't useful for breast cancer, but one of the main
> points is that this woman with stage 4 cancer in her intestines, was treated 4 times
> in 4 days. That was it. Clean bill of health. I'd say that's pretty damn amazing.

If she was treated with the same kind of radiotherapy she would have had her cancer cured as well. CyberKnife would have only improved her recovery time after radiotherapy.

Chemotherapy is a killer for sure. My father died of lung cancer with multiple metastasis. Surgery wasn't an option and I don't remember why radiotherapy was discarded as well, maybe the extension. When he was undergoing chemo he was in a worst state than without it. But anyway, he had so many diseases and organ malfunctions that even if he didn't had cancer he wouldn't have lived much longer anyway.

Gor
Giver of truth.
Loc: The basement
Send PM

#329366 - 08/06/14 12:16 AM Attachment: cyberknife.jpg 47 KB (0 downloads)

> > You're downplaying the significance too much.
>
> No, I'm not; I'd say you're overplaying its significance. The CyberKnife is not some
> kind of new treatment. It's the same old treatment applied in a different way. It
> generally improves the impact of radiotherapy on the patient, but as far as cancerous
> tissue goes, it's 100% the same. "The significance of CyberKnife" regarding cancerous
> tissue is 0.
>
> Let me restate it. CyberKnife doesn't improve radiotherapy with a new radiation
> device which creates some kind of different ionizing radiation which is more
> effective against cancerous tissue. It uses the same device used in other
> radiotherapy machinery (something like SRBT ESRB or that), creating the same
> radiation as hundreds or thousands of other radiotherapy machines around the world.
>
> To quote from Wikipedia: "The CyberKnife system is a method of delivering
> radiotherapy". And I don't see anything different stated anywhere in the two official
> sites either.
>
> > > Of course the cyber knife machine isn't useful for breast cancer, but one of the
> main
> > points is that this woman with stage 4 cancer in her intestines, was treated 4
> times
> > in 4 days. That was it. Clean bill of health. I'd say that's pretty damn amazing.
>
> If she was treated with the same kind of radiotherapy she would have had her cancer
> cured as well. CyberKnife would have only improved her recovery time after
> radiotherapy.
>
> Chemotherapy is a killer for sure. My father died of lung cancer with multiple
> metastasis. Surgery wasn't an option and I don't remember why radiotherapy was
> discarded as well, maybe the extension. When he was undergoing chemo he was in a
> worst state than without it. But anyway, he had so many diseases and organ
> malfunctions that even if he didn't had cancer he wouldn't have lived much longer
> anyway.

The Cyberdyne Systems CyberKnifeTM is 100% effective.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 281 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1858