View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

URherenow
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Why must knowledge ruin fantasy?
#329152 - 08/03/14 11:49 AM

In particular... any movie/show that has anything to do with the military. I'm re-watching Smallville again and on Season 2 Episode 11.

When Whitney returns to the school, he's wearing the rank of PFC (E-2) on his sleeves, but he has blood stripes on his pants (A very common mistake by fucktards who try to fake service for priority at airports and what not... you don't get those stripes until you're a Sargent (E-5)).

Later on, "LT McNulty" arrives at his mother's house to inform her that Whitney is confirmed dead. All well and good, except what would be LT insignia in the Navy is Captain in the Marines. It should have been Captain McNulty.

Why are these bonehead mistakes always made? Uniform regulations are public domain. 10 minutes of research to get a uniform correct, and another 10 to get the medals/ribbons correct.

Then there are other non-military examples such as Lucy. As I said, the first half was alright, but you had to ignore much of the story. It would have been much more entertaining if the story wasn't so retarded I didn't know how retarded it was..

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Re: Why must knowledge ruin fantasy? new [Re: URherenow]
#329157 - 08/03/14 03:49 PM

> In particular... any movie/show that has anything to do with the military. I'm
> re-watching Smallville again and on Season 2 Episode 11.
>
> When Whitney returns to the school, he's wearing the rank of PFC (E-2) on his
> sleeves, but he has blood stripes on his pants (A very common mistake by fucktards
> who try to fake service for priority at airports and what not... you don't get those
> stripes until you're a Sargent (E-5)).
>
> Later on, "LT McNulty" arrives at his mother's house to inform her that Whitney is
> confirmed dead. All well and good, except what would be LT insignia in the Navy is
> Captain in the Marines. It should have been Captain McNulty.

If it later turned out that he wasn't actually in the service, and it was some covert organization, you'd have an answer. But I think they're just done with the guy, and those are actual errors.

At least they didn't have two people typing on one keyboard.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#329161 - 08/03/14 06:28 PM

> In particular... any movie/show that has anything to do with the military. I'm
> re-watching Smallville again and on Season 2 Episode 11.
>
> When Whitney returns to the school, he's wearing the rank of PFC (E-2) on his
> sleeves, but he has blood stripes on his pants (A very common mistake by fucktards
> who try to fake service for priority at airports and what not... you don't get those
> stripes until you're a Sargent (E-5)).
>
> Later on, "LT McNulty" arrives at his mother's house to inform her that Whitney is
> confirmed dead. All well and good, except what would be LT insignia in the Navy is
> Captain in the Marines. It should have been Captain McNulty.
>
> Why are these bonehead mistakes always made? Uniform regulations are public domain.
> 10 minutes of research to get a uniform correct, and another 10 to get the
> medals/ribbons correct.
>
> Then there are other non-military examples such as Lucy. As I said, the first half
> was alright, but you had to ignore much of the story. It would have been much more
> entertaining if the story wasn't so retarded I didn't know how retarded it was..

I'm not a screenwriter, but my guess would be that they don't have time to research every little detail. Especially on TV, they have to bang out a lot of scripts in a relatively short time. So plot critical details might get some research, but they just wing it on incidental details. They can get away with it because only a small percentage of the audience will notice any given error. I would never notice problems with military uniforms, but computer foolishness drives me nuts.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Lack of respect for the CORPS! new [Re: URherenow]
#329390 - 08/06/14 06:02 AM

And there's only one Corps, folks.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

URherenow
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Re: Lack of respect for the CORPS! new [Re: Traso]
#329400 - 08/06/14 08:29 AM

I'm a sailor and I respect the corps. When I say a SEAL will kick a Marine's butt is more badass, I say it with love.

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Lack of respect for the CORPS! new [Re: URherenow]
#329498 - 08/07/14 11:23 PM

> I'm a sailor and I respect the corps. When I say a SEAL will kick a Marine's butt is
> more badass, I say it with love.

'Respect' isn't a word in my functioning vocabulary. But it is in others', and of course I was being jocular anyways.

SEALs get more combat training than stock Marines. They also are required to be a lot fitter.

I'm a lover, so I'd rather think about how I can pleasure people. Of course, the most kung fu mother fuckers don't even need to touch to pleasure or pain.

Renegade
Got No Where Else to Go
Reged: 10/01/03
Send PM

#329507 - 08/08/14 01:42 AM

After 35 yrs working on cars i feel the same way watchin car movies, when they light a torch or try to weld im like come on atleast learn how to set a torch flame and there is always a scene with a torch..
Another is when they open a hood and start talking about the motor. " yeah its got a holley full race double pumper 4 barrel" and they sbow a car with fuel injection... u could go on and on with car shows....

Only here to annoy...

Sune
Connected
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Still creepy as f*ck though_nt new [Re: Traso]
#329511 - 08/08/14 02:45 AM

> I'm a lover, so I'd rather think about how I can pleasure people. Of course, the most
> kung fu mother fuckers don't even need to touch to pleasure or pain.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Why must knowledge ruin fantasy? new [Re: Renegade]
#329522 - 08/08/14 06:06 AM

> After 35 yrs working on cars i feel the same way watchin car movies, when they light
> a torch or try to weld im like come on atleast learn how to set a torch flame and
> there is always a scene with a torch..
> Another is when they open a hood and start talking about the motor. " yeah its got a
> holley full race double pumper 4 barrel" and they sbow a car with fuel injection... u
> could go on and on with car shows....

My pet peeve is how car tires *always* have to squeal. It could be a soccer mom backing out of a parking spot in a minivan, the foley guy always has to throw in a little squeal. Gravel, dirt, sand, it doesn't matter, they do it every time.

Also, this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hxOoM0-NJI#t=140

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Re: Why must knowledge ruin fantasy? new [Re: DMala]
#329525 - 08/08/14 09:00 AM

> > After 35 yrs working on cars i feel the same way watchin car movies, when they
> light
> > a torch or try to weld im like come on atleast learn how to set a torch flame and
> > there is always a scene with a torch..
> > Another is when they open a hood and start talking about the motor. " yeah its got
> a
> > holley full race double pumper 4 barrel" and they sbow a car with fuel injection...
> u
> > could go on and on with car shows....
>
> My pet peeve is how car tires *always* have to squeal. It could be a soccer mom
> backing out of a parking spot in a minivan, the foley guy always has to throw in a
> little squeal. Gravel, dirt, sand, it doesn't matter, they do it every time.
>
> Also, this:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hxOoM0-NJI#t=140

The car tires in that clip did not squeal.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Why must knowledge ruin fantasy? new [Re: TriggerFin]
#329556 - 08/08/14 06:52 PM

I thought the squealing tires on dirt thing was mainly a mid-80s through early 90s thing.......

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Cree-paae.....Creapaaee....I'm sorary....I'm really sorray new [Re: Sune]
#329557 - 08/08/14 06:53 PM

Can you tell I watched Nice Dreams a couple days ago?

Hamburger Mahn!

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 323 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1538