MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

URherenow
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Anyone here watch hemlock grove?
#328691 - 07/26/14 08:42 PM

Netflix series. I just finished the first 2 seasons (and no idea if there will be a third) and I'm left with questions about things that a normal person probably wouldn't wonder about...

So as far as I can tell, an "upir" is pretty much a vampire, except that not only can they walk in the sunlight, but they are also alive? They can eat regular food, even though they have the blood cravings, and they can even have children. Ummm... so they must ovulate and have menses, right? What the hell happens when a blood craving bitch gets her period?

Not to mention that they make it seem like the mother is very old (in human terms) already. How many eggs does she have?

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Re: Anyone here watch hemlock grove? new [Re: URherenow]
#328698 - 07/27/14 12:16 AM

> Netflix series. I just finished the first 2 seasons (and no idea if there will be a
> third) and I'm left with questions about things that a normal person probably
> wouldn't wonder about...
>
> So as far as I can tell, an "upir" is pretty much a vampire, except that not only can
> they walk in the sunlight, but they are also alive? They can eat regular food, even
> though they have the blood cravings, and they can even have children. Ummm... so they
> must ovulate and have menses, right? What the hell happens when a blood craving bitch
> gets her period?
>
> Not to mention that they make it seem like the mother is very old (in human terms)
> already. How many eggs does she have?

When you remove mortality from the equation, that number loses relevance. A human female has about a million ova at birth, and retains about 300,000 at puberty, the remainder having died. It's a failure of the body, rather than an exhaustion of the supply, that ends reproduction.

No, I didn't have this information prior to about five minutes ago.

URherenow
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Re: Anyone here watch hemlock grove? new [Re: TriggerFin]
#328714 - 07/27/14 06:37 AM

Nor did I know this.

Now that I've had time to think about it, I don't buy it. If it was a failure of the body, wouldn't it be an exception and not the norm (to hit menopause after <1000 cycles)?

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 105 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1076