Pages: 1

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Car trouble
#328052 - 07/11/14 02:58 AM

My car has developed a fault in the electrical system that drains the battery really fast. I was told to just unplug the battery when I am at home until I get it fixed, but I forgot and now it's almost dead, lights etc work but the starter motor doesn't turn over. I don't need the car until Saturday so I have most of tomorrow to take it into town for someone to look at it. But I need to start it!

I have a spare motorcycle battery, can I use that to start the car, or is it too weak?

I guess I have one shot..should I unplug the car battery first? I understand that the motorcycle battery will discharge into the car battery if I don't. Is that what I want?
Will anything explode or go up in flames? lol I have no idea. I know that the amperage is much lower on the motorcycle battery but I don't understand entirely what that means.

I don't have to do this until tomorrow, besides its too dark now outside and my flashlight is worthless. I unplugged the battery so it doesn't drain any further.

S

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Bump Start new [Re: Sune]
#328053 - 07/11/14 03:11 AM

Sune
Connected
Send PM

Tell me how new [Re: GatKong]
#328054 - 07/11/14 03:18 AM

I tried that the last time. Someone had told me that you can't do that with this type of engine, but a mechanic told me to do it in reverse gear. There's a bit of a decline out front so I got good momentum but releasing the clutch with the car rolling didn't do anything except stop the car. All that happened was that the car was then in the street, downhill from the house, still dead.

S

URherenow
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Re: Tell me how new [Re: Sune]
#328055 - 07/11/14 03:24 AM

I never heard of doing it in reverse... I've helped many people pushing forward then popping the clutch while in 1st gear(release then immediately depress again when you hear the engine turn over, maybe with a little bit of gas too). As long as your alternator isn't screwed, that should work with no battery at all.

Don't think it helps much with an automatic transmission though...

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

Sune
Connected
Send PM

Re: Tell me how new [Re: URherenow]
#328056 - 07/11/14 03:37 AM

> I never heard of doing it in reverse... I've helped many people pushing forward then
> popping the clutch while in 1st gear(release then immediately depress again when you
> hear the engine turn over, maybe with a little bit of gas too). As long as your
> alternator isn't screwed, that should work with no battery at all.

Yes I've helped push many times but it's always an older car.

> Don't think it helps much with an automatic transmission though...

No, it has manual transmission. But they say you can't do that with this type of engine that has no carburetor. I have no idea why that is. Anyway I couldn't get it to work last time.

S

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Tell me how new [Re: Sune]
#328057 - 07/11/14 03:58 AM

> No, it has manual transmission. But they say you can't do that with this type of
> engine that has no carburetor. I have no idea why that is. Anyway I couldn't get it
> to work last time.

Need high-pressure fuel pump to be running and power for ECUs and piezo injectors. Otherwise there will be no fuel supplied. Also, electronic ignition needs power to do anything. There's no way you could start it without the battery connected at all. If the battery isn't completely dead, you might be able to push-start it with the battery connected and powering the ignition and fuel systems. But if the battery is too dead for that, you need someone to come around for a jump start.

URherenow
Send PM

Re: Tell me how new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#328059 - 07/11/14 05:12 AM

> There's no way you could start it without the battery connected at all.

I could swear you could on older cars. When the engine turns over when the clutch is popped, it also spins the alternator... or perhaps it's that the older cars I'm thinking of didn't have fuel injection anyway...

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

#328060 - 07/11/14 05:16 AM

Ditto what Vas said. Hard to tell if the battery has enough juice to run the pump but if the lights are still bright you should have a good shot. (gotta hate fuel injection right now!)

Also remember to turn the ignition ON. I've seen people forget that part...

And when you get some speed up, POP the clutch, don't ease out like regular shifting.

Nothing to lose. If it works you won't need to call in a favor for a jump! Good luck.

A little off topic but: anybody ever tried using those cigarette lighter jumpers? Curious if they really work...

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

#328063 - 07/11/14 06:07 AM

> > There's no way you could start it without the battery connected at all.
>
> I could swear you could on older cars. When the engine turns over when the clutch is
> popped, it also spins the alternator... or perhaps it's that the older cars I'm
> thinking of didn't have fuel injection anyway...

Cars with conventional ignition and a carburettor or mechanical fuel injection can usually be push-started without a battery. The killer is the modern all-electronic ignition systems.

redk9258
Regular
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: Car trouble new [Re: Sune]
#328073 - 07/11/14 12:08 PM

Disconnect the battery and put a (trickle) charger on it.

Sune
Connected
Send PM

Re: Car trouble new [Re: redk9258]
#328086 - 07/11/14 07:22 PM

> Disconnect the battery and put a (trickle) charger on it.

Thank you. if I had one of those, I'd obviously do that instead of posting here!
If I could afford it right now I'd just buy a new battery.

I bought a pair of jumper cables today, nobody around here has any, so at least I should be able to get out of here tomorrow with the help of a neighbor.

The car still has the factory battery, it's 4 years old. I asked a battery guy today and he said they normally don't last that long at all.

S

URherenow
Send PM

Re: Tell me how new [Re: Bad A Billy]
#328089 - 07/11/14 08:40 PM

>
> A little off topic but: anybody ever tried using those cigarette lighter jumpers?
> Curious if they really work...

Yes they do, but they're slow as shit. Gotta let it charge a good 20 minutes at least.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

#328092 - 07/11/14 08:59 PM

> A little off topic but: anybody ever tried using those cigarette lighter jumpers? Curious if they really work...

> > Yes they do, but they're slow as shit. Gotta let it charge a good 20 minutes at least.

Yup-ish.

I've thought about getting one of those starter boxes, but they're more than batteries, and rarely have I needed a jump anyways.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

#328093 - 07/11/14 09:01 PM

> Cars with conventional ignition and a carburettor or mechanical fuel injection can usually be push-started without a battery. The killer is the modern all-electronic ignition systems.

Which is anything since at least 1990.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Sune
Connected
Send PM

done! new [Re: Sune]
#328099 - 07/11/14 10:08 PM

> I tried that the last time. Someone had told me that you can't do that with this type
> of engine, but a mechanic told me to do it in reverse gear. There's a bit of a
> decline out front so I got good momentum but releasing the clutch with the car
> rolling didn't do anything except stop the car. All that happened was that the car
> was then in the street, downhill from the house, still dead.

OK so I thought might as well give it a go again, the car has to be outside the driveway anyway for anyone to get close enough to jump start it. And this time it worked. I read somewhere yesterday that it's better to do it in reverse or 2nd/3rd gear, never in first because the ideal speed for this to work is slightly faster than 1st gear speed. Not sure what I did different but it started right up. Last time I hadn't driven for six days. It's probably like Vas said - this time there was still enough juice for the fuel injection to work.

So I drove up and bought a new battery that I can't afford at all right now lol. The battery dude said, if the new battery discharges call me and I'll come out and jump start you for free and we'll take a look at the radio or whatever the problem is nice.

S

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

#328112 - 07/12/14 04:53 AM

> The car still has the factory battery, it's 4 years old. I asked a battery guy today
> and he said they normally don't last that long at all.

Yeah, it depends on how frequently you start the car, the temperature range it's exposed to, and a bunch of other things. To be safe you should replace them after three years or so. I got four or five years out of the last couple of car batteries I had.

Renegade
Got No Where Else to Go
Reged: 10/01/03
Send PM

#328131 - 07/13/14 03:33 AM

I have thought about buying one of the solar trickle chargers that plug into the cig lighter.

I have one of the neman marcus 98 sony suburbans and with all the electrical crap it has it will kill a battery dead in a couple days. I havent driven it in 6 months, its time to either sale it or put it in mothballs.

Not sure it will ever be a collectable but i figure if i keep it, it wont be. If i sell it it will double in price in year... thats my luck...

Only here to annoy...

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Tell me how new [Re: Renegade]
#328134 - 07/13/14 06:08 AM

> I have thought about buying one of the solar trickle chargers that plug into the cig
> lighter.
>
> I have one of the neman marcus 98 sony suburbans and with all the electrical crap it
> has it will kill a battery dead in a couple days. I havent driven it in 6 months, its
> time to either sale it or put it in mothballs.
>
> Not sure it will ever be a collectable but i figure if i keep it, it wont be. If i
> sell it it will double in price in year... thats my luck...

Wow... were there really only 100 made? That's actually kind of cool. Unfortunately, rarity alone doesn't really mean help the price, a car has to have something else going for it. So a Hemi 'Cuda with a weird, uncommon combination of options is worth $1 million, but a plain old Suburban with a department store name on it and some electronic gizmos, not so much...

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Send PM

#328136 - 07/13/14 09:08 AM

> My car has developed a fault in the electrical system that drains the battery really
> fast. I was told to just unplug the battery when I am at home until I get it fixed,
> but I forgot and now it's almost dead, lights etc work but the starter motor doesn't
> turn over. I don't need the car until Saturday so I have most of tomorrow to take it
> into town for someone to look at it. But I need to start it!

This sounds exactly like my 1988 Camry 3-4 years ago. The starter motor failed short-circuit, drained the battery and nearly took out the whole car!

When we found the motor wouldn't crank, we push-started it (luckily it was manual), got it going, and five minutes up the road there was a funny burning-dust smell coming from the heater vents, shortly after that the car started misfiring and losing power (with the headlights dimming and the check battery light on), and a minute later smoke started coming from the hood!

We pulled over (at a conveniently located 7-Eleven), popped the hood and noticed that most of the wiring had melted, the battery was drained flat again and we were 3 miles (5 k's) from home at 1:30AM on a Saturday night/Sunday morning. Had we have gone any further the car probably would have gone up in flames! As we didn't have any tools in the car at the time, we got out the crowbar and forcibly ripped out the wiring around the battery, and left the car in the side street next to 7-Eleven until Monday morning for the tow truck to take care of. $800 and a new wiring loom, starter motor and battery later, the car was on the road again without a care in the world. As for why we were going out at 1AM though, we were going to a 24 hour McDonald's which, ironically, was located at the same intersection where we broke down, on the other side of the road of the 7-Eleven.

In other words, I'd check stuff beyond the battery itself, the last thing you want is to wake up with your car on fire, or worse, your car catching on fire while you're driving!

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Send PM

#328137 - 07/13/14 09:12 AM

> I never heard of doing it in reverse...

I push-started a Datsun 120Y in reverse when I was about 14; I was the one pushing!

Renegade
Got No Where Else to Go
Reged: 10/01/03
Send PM

Re: Tell me how new [Re: DMala]
#328141 - 07/13/14 07:09 PM

Yeah under a 100 made. Over $72,000.00 new.
Yeah i wish it was a hemi cuda !

But it does have a built in t.v., vcr, ps1, 3 amps, pre-amp, woofers in the back doors, 2 stereos, sunroof, etc..etc.. satelite phone and cell phone but they are analog so i wont be making any calls with em.
Cool thing is nobody has stripped the stuff out of it.

Qun Mang
Legend of Link
Reged: 12/12/03
Loc: Hidden Hyrulian city Lurkopolis
Send PM

Re: Tell me how new [Re: Renegade]
#328144 - 07/13/14 08:30 PM

I remember encountering a homemade edition Cadillac Escalade once at a Cadillac dealer. They called it a Louis Vuitton edition, and it was completely reupholstered (one of his styles/patterns I would suppose), repainted if I remember correctly, and came with a PS2 built in. Well, sort of built-in- they actually went pretty cheap on that.

> Yeah under a 100 made. Over $72,000.00 new.
> Yeah i wish it was a hemi cuda !
>
> But it does have a built in t.v., vcr, ps1, 3 amps, pre-amp, woofers in the back
> doors, 2 stereos, sunroof, etc..etc.. satelite phone and cell phone but they are
> analog so i wont be making any calls with em.
> Cool thing is nobody has stripped the stuff out of it.

Sune
Connected
Send PM

Re: Car trouble new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#328148 - 07/13/14 10:04 PM

> In other words, I'd check stuff beyond the battery itself, the last thing you want is
> to wake up with your car on fire, or worse, your car catching on fire while you're
> driving!

LOL your car story reminds me of when you talk about one of your old PCs. At least you made it to McDonald's in one piece.

I don't think there's any danger of a fire, I had the starter motor and the alternator looked at earlier because I thought that was the problem. Next thing to have someone check out is the 3rd party anti-theft system that blocks the fuel injection if you don't press a hidden button after starting the engine, and the wiring on the stereo that I had installed recently. If there's anything else wrong with the car now, it's a toss between the two.

It's a 5 years old car and I've never changed the battery. The guy in the shop said it's a miracle that it lasted this long. I got a new 60 amp battery, he put some kind of meter on the old one and we could see the needle slowly dropping as the battery was losing its charge without being connected to anything!

S

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 124 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1687