CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Alien from Terra Prime... and Brazil
Send PM

Is this even legal ?
#327833 - 07/06/14 01:09 PM

http://www.lovehulten.com/rkaidr.html
A super expensive portable MAME machine.

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino
home: http://emuloader.mameworld.info
e-mail: [email protected]

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

Re: Is this even legal ? new [Re: CiroConsentino]
#327834 - 07/06/14 01:25 PM

Pi
Allergic to life
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Room 101
Send PM

#327836 - 07/06/14 02:55 PM

> http://www.lovehulten.com/rkaidr.html
> A super expensive portable MAME machine.

Well, they are using the MAME name for commercial purposes, since it's advertised as a "MAME machine" (however they don't overdo it). I guess that would break the trademark usage guidelines, but I can't confirm because I'm lazy and will not search now.

Other than that, they don't list as "included" any specific software except Cave Story which is freeware. It lists OS and "game menu interface", which I'm guessing some mini Linux plus any of the linux frontends.

I find funny how it doesn't lists specs (CPU, RAM, storage).

It's just a deluxe custom mini PC with some bad trademark usage. I don't see anything ludicrously illegal.

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.
I can't get it right / Get it right / Since I met you...

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

I wouldn't buy those. new [Re: CiroConsentino]
#327840 - 07/06/14 04:31 PM

I can get two or three PC computers for that much with a better speed. Maybe a super PC with cooling and lights.

That screen doesn't have a box boarder. The games look horrible with that boarder when using a non-SDL MAME build. I will say that the SDLMAME with a custom shader will be better for that boarder.

For that much. Get out of here.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Re: Is this even legal ? new [Re: Pi]
#327856 - 07/07/14 01:45 AM

> It's just a deluxe custom mini PC with some bad trademark usage. I don't see anything ludicrously illegal.

Yeah. Some neato design features. Except the non-90degree power plug sitting in view's way, and waiting to be accidentally bent during ferocious gameplay. I like the music. Sounds like Terry Reilly or Steve Reich, though......

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Is this even legal ? new [Re: Robbbert]
#327863 - 07/07/14 05:41 AM

> I wonder what emulator is being used for all those consoles:
> Supported game systems
>
> * MAME
> * Neo Geo
> * PC Engine / Turbo Grafx 16
> * Playstation 1
> * Atari 2600
> * Game Boy
> * Game Boy Advance
> * Nintendo
> * Super Nintendo
> * Sega Master System
> * Sega Genesis
> * Scummvm
> * Doom
> * Duke Nukem 3D

It sounds like this list is what it could potentially do if you know how to set it up, rather than things that come pre-configured on the system. Having said that, it's a bizarre list - an emulator, ten classic systems, another emulator (more or less), and two random DOS-era PC games.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#327864 - 07/07/14 05:44 AM

The price is ludicrous and the site is beyond pretentious, but I do like the steampunk-ish style of the box itself. Other than the brain-dead placement of the power adapter right in front of the screen, that is.

EDIT: Although, from the size of it, I'd be worried that it's running some under powered Raspberry Pi BS. For that kind of dough, you'd better figure out a way to cram a Core i7 in there.

Edited by DMala (07/07/14 05:46 AM)

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#327898 - 07/08/14 01:39 AM

Read the product description carefully: it comes with the front-end, Crystal Cave, and instructions for installing the "game library". It doesn't actually come with emulators or ROMs. So I think it's legal.

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Send PM

Re: I wouldn't buy those. new [Re: Dullaron]
#327911 - 07/08/14 07:51 AM

> I can get two or three PC computers for that much with a better speed. Maybe a super
> PC with cooling and lights.
>

And out of the trash at that. I found an E7400 Core 2 Duo system on the grass on the side of the road, it was thrown out because it had a failed PCI-E video card.

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Re: I wouldn't buy those. new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#327914 - 07/08/14 08:21 AM

> > I can get two or three PC computers for that much with a better speed. Maybe a
> super
> > PC with cooling and lights.
> >
>
> And out of the trash at that. I found an E7400 Core 2 Duo system on the grass on the
> side of the road, it was thrown out because it had a failed PCI-E video card.

Rich person throw that out or some teenager did. They don't have any idea to check out on what went wrong. They just buy a new one. LOL

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Send PM

Re: I wouldn't buy those. new [Re: Dullaron]
#327918 - 07/08/14 11:59 AM

> Rich person throw that out or some teenager did. They don't have any idea to check
> out on what went wrong. They just buy a new one. LOL

They also stripped it of its 4GB of DDR2 (but left the HDD intact, complete with Vista still installed and no login name/password). The video card still functions, but for some reason it doesn't output red, there are no bad caps. The PC functions perfectly with the onboard video, although Vista gives it a rating of 1.0 since it only has 512MB of RAM, and runs like crap accordingly, even after uninstalling practically everything and killing off unnecessary pre-loaded/background programs - when Windows Update kicks in, that's the end of a usable PC for two hours while the Windows thrashes the HDD (so, WU is also turned off for now).

MAME runs nicely on it, when Windows isn't interfering with stuff in the background.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 147 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2363