View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

URherenow
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Just started using an XB360 controller on my PC
#327680 - 07/02/14 04:24 PM

Played a few hours of Murdered: Soul Suspect with a mouse and keyboard. Game seems alright so far. A bit slow, but decent none the less.

Anyway I got an XB360 controller (with wireless dongle for PC) in the mail today and I must say it's so much better! So much less hassle than using the old Xbox controller I rigged with USB and messing with xbcd and a wrapper. Sorry I didn't get one sooner. Kept on having to look at the keyboard because of the random(ish) key combos you have to press to kill a demon and died a few times because of it (hah! I'm a ghost... and I died). Those things are toast with the controller though.

And since I have STILL yet to play a FPS on the PS3/4, this is the first time I've had a real use for dual analog sticks. It feels rather natural with this controller.

Nothing beats an X-Arcade for MAME stuff or an Adaptoid+N64 controller for N64, but I'm quite pleased with this

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

Re: Just started using an XB360 controller on my PC new [Re: URherenow]
#327682 - 07/02/14 04:34 PM

> Played a few hours of Murdered: Soul Suspect with a mouse and keyboard. Game seems
> alright so far. A bit slow, but decent none the less.
>
> Anyway I got an XB360 controller (with wireless dongle for PC) in the mail today and
> I must say it's so much better! So much less hassle than using the old Xbox
> controller I rigged with USB and messing with xbcd and a wrapper. Sorry I didn't get
> one sooner. Kept on having to look at the keyboard because of the random(ish) key
> combos you have to press to kill a demon and died a few times because of it (hah! I'm
> a ghost... and I died). Those things are toast with the controller though.
>
> And since I have STILL yet to play a FPS on the PS3/4, this is the first time I've
> had a real use for dual analog sticks. It feels rather natural with this controller.
>
> Nothing beats an X-Arcade for MAME stuff or an Adaptoid+N64 controller for N64, but
> I'm quite pleased with this

Xbox 360 controllers are really nice to use. Since I work in PC and Console repairs I have some old junk machines about and spare parts so I grabbed the RF board off of one 360 and soldered a USB header onto it and modded my case to have wireless support. I need to use a play and charge cable to turn on and sync the controller up but don't need it after.

Yes its more clunky but it cost me nothing and it's nicely hidden away and works nicely so I don't mind

Edited by Naoki (07/02/14 04:36 PM)

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

#327694 - 07/02/14 08:46 PM Attachment: 2011-10-21 18.53.44.jpg 97 KB (0 downloads)

> Nothing beats an X-Arcade for MAME stuff....

This does.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

#327699 - 07/02/14 11:01 PM

It's great for some games. But I've found I prefer the mouse and keyboard for games where one of the sticks controls the camera.

Case in point: some of the Tomb Raider games, like Underworld.

This is the one I have...

LEVEL-4

URherenow
Send PM

Re: Just started using an XB360 controller on my PC new [Re: Traso]
#327708 - 07/03/14 04:43 AM

didn't really intend to specifically single out a name brand, rather than using authentic(ish) arcade controls for the arcade games.

Then again, opinions vary... What's under the hood and how configurable is it? X-arcade connects with USB and you can program the buttons (it has 4 modes at any one time)You can program each button to a keyboard button, so that you don't need something like keyjoy to make it play nice with other stuff...

URherenow
Send PM

Re: Just started using an XB360 controller on my PC new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#327709 - 07/03/14 04:47 AM

Murdered: Soul Suspect is that type of game (keyboard movement with mouse camera movement), but it still suits the dual analog quite well. Perhaps I'll change my mind with a faster paced game like TR, but I'll stick to this game for now until I finish it.

I'm getting tired of buying lots of games and then never finishing any of them.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

#327716 - 07/03/14 08:45 AM

> didn't really intend to specifically single out a name brand, rather than using
> authentic(ish) arcade controls for the arcade games.
>
> Then again, opinions vary... What's under the hood and how configurable is it?
> X-arcade connects with USB and you can program the buttons (it has 4 modes at any one
> time)You can program each button to a keyboard button, so that you don't need
> something like keyjoy to make it play nice with other stuff...

I've been into MAME since late '03, and after trying a game pad went with the X-Arcade dual unit. I didn't like the sticks, didn't care about the programmability (I almost strictly play MAME, though any other emus I use are fully programmable), and wanted a spinner. And finally a trackball.

The main sticks are optical, the center stick is a U360 (which I mainly use as a 4-way and eighth-turn). I bought it in early '04, but have changed sticks and spinner position over time. Notice there's no 'asteroids layout' (eww), either.

Controller is PS/2 (second or third generation IPAC, and though not USB, can be used with this little app H-repeat and unpowered usb adapter); trackball can be either; spinner can be either; and U360 is USB.

Mine's a dedicated rig, though. That panel is 35" across. Happens to be from the heyday of Slik Stik, but still a 'Classic' unit existing companies offer.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

URherenow
Send PM

wait, what? new [Re: Traso]
#327717 - 07/03/14 08:53 AM

What do you mean the sticks are optical? Can they do Analog input? That sounds bad ass!

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

Re: wait, what? new [Re: URherenow]
#327720 - 07/03/14 02:28 PM

> What do you mean the sticks are optical? Can they do Analog input? That sounds bad
> ass!

Yeah. "Optical"? Is it an Ultrastik360?

Links or pics nao!

Edited by Tomu Breidah (07/04/14 09:19 PM)

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Silly boys..... new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#327749 - 07/04/14 07:04 AM

The optical sticks are digital. Just leds instead of micros. Those are P360s, released some time in the 90s. The original ones were Wico ball tops! I've seen pictures; almost bought some, I think.

The middle one is a U(Ultrastik)360. U360s are analog, register as gamepads, and are programmable on the fly. Get with it, yo, these've been out since.....'09?

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

Re: Silly boys..... new [Re: Traso]
#327759 - 07/04/14 01:52 PM Attachment: bububuh.gif 1095 KB (0 downloads)

> The optical sticks are digital. Just leds instead of micros. Those are P360s,
> released some time in the 90s. The original ones were Wico ball tops! I've seen
> pictures; almost bought some, I think.
>
> The middle one is a U(Ultrastik)360. U360s are analog, register as gamepads, and are
> programmable on the fly. Get with it, yo, these've been out since.....'09?

Quote:

Yeah. "Optical"? Is it an Ultrastik360?

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Edited by Tomu Breidah (07/04/14 09:19 PM)

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Silly boys..... new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#327769 - 07/04/14 08:05 PM

> > The middle one is a U(Ultrastik)360. U360s are analog, register as gamepads, and are programmable on the fly. Get with it, yo, these've been out since.....'09?

> Yeah. "Optical"? Is it an Ultrastick360?

Cool image. U360s aren't optical. They're magnetic resonance.

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

Re: Silly boys..... new [Re: Traso]
#327773 - 07/04/14 09:25 PM

> > > The middle one is a U(Ultrastik)360. U360s are analog, register as gamepads, and
> are programmable on the fly. Get with it, yo, these've been out since.....'09?
>
>
> > Yeah. "Optical"? Is it an Ultrastick360?
>
>
> Cool image. U360s aren't optical. They're magnetic resonance.

Googled it myself after looking closer into your posts.

http://na.suzohapp.com/all_catalogs/joysticks/50-0346-00

Ah, okay.

Andrew
Girl Watcher
Loc: Boston, Mass.
Send PM

Re: Just started using an XB360 controller on my PC new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#327783 - 07/05/14 03:43 AM

I have the Skylanders version sealed in the box that I picked up from Walmart for $9 on clearance. Trying to sell it on eBay but not getting any takers. I think I'll just keep it if it doesn't sell and try it out for giggles.

[SCRIPT_DISABLED] async src="//platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js" charset="utf-8">

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Silly boys..... new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#327789 - 07/05/14 07:30 AM

> Googled it myself after looking closer into your posts.
>
> http://na.suzohapp.com/all_catalogs/joysticks/50-0346-00
>
> Ah, okay.

Damn, pricier than ever.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 352 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3022