View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Reged: 05/22/13
Loc: Mount St. Lurkling
Send PM

USB Arcade Spinner that plugs directly into computer's USB port
#327484 - 06/27/14 05:26 AM Attachment: trackball.jpg 75 KB (1 downloads)

I am looking for a USB Arcade Spinner that plugs directly into my computer's USB port. I did a quick search and found USB Spinners but they don't plug directly into a computer's USB port. I have a X-Arcade Tankstick + Trackball. The spinners I found would have to be plugged into and replace one of the buttons on my X-Arcade and I don't want that. Does anyone know where I can find a spinner that gets directly plugged into my computer's USB port?

This image attached is the type of thing I am looking for but instead of the trackball, imagine a spinner there. That's what I want.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

Re: USB Arcade Spinner that plugs directly into PC USB port new [Re: Big Karnak]
#327487 - 06/27/14 05:33 AM

Here's three that I know of...

SlikStik Tornado
http://na.suzohapp.com/amusement_products/arcade_game_parts/95-2657-00

Ultimarc SpinTrak
http://www.ultimarc.com/SpinTrak.html

Groovy Game Gear Turbo Twist 2
http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=268

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Send PM

Re: USB Arcade Spinner that plugs directly into PC USB port new [Re: krick]
#327488 - 06/27/14 05:55 AM

Those three links I saw already. They don't plug directly into your computer's USB port. The ones you listed plug into a PCB's USB port or they plug into/replace buttons. I updated my original post with an image to better explain what I'm looking for. Just imagine a spinner there instead of the trackball. That's what I'm looking for.

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Re: USB Arcade Spinner that plugs directly into PC USB port new [Re: Big Karnak]
#327489 - 06/27/14 09:12 AM

> Those three links I saw already. They don't plug directly into your computer's USB
> port. The ones you listed plug into a PCB's USB port or they plug into/replace
> buttons. I updated my original post with an image to better explain what I'm looking
> for. Just imagine a spinner there instead of the trackball. That's what I'm looking
> for.

Not sure this will be good for MAME. Here is a link to a very cheap Griffin Technology NA16029 PowerMate USB Multimedia Controller. http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Technology...ds=mame+spinner

Might get this. If this spins then it can be modded to get it more power speed on the spins.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

big10p
Arcadian
Reged: 03/13/14
Loc: UK
Send PM

#327491 - 06/27/14 12:30 PM

> Those three links I saw already. They don't plug directly into your computer's USB
> port. The ones you listed plug into a PCB's USB port or they plug into/replace
> buttons.

Not sure what you mean. I've just bought a SpinTrak and it's plugged directly into PC's USB port. Windows detects it, loads the driver, job done.

There is also an Opti-pac version of the SpinTrak - maybe that's what you're getting confused with?

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Send PM

Re: USB Arcade Spinner that plugs directly into PC USB port new [Re: big10p]
#327493 - 06/27/14 02:08 PM

Quote:

Not sure what you mean. I've just bought a SpinTrak and it's plugged directly into PC's USB port. Windows detects it, loads the driver, job done.

Do you have a photo of it so I can better understand. Where does it sit? Do you have to hold it in your hand like a game controller or does it rest on the table? Or do you have it replacing one of your arcade buttons?

The photos in the product you linked to that you said you have doesn't show a product that can be used all by itself without replacing a button or plugging it into a PCB board

http://www.ultimarc.com/SpinTrak.html

big10p
Arcadian
Send PM

#327494 - 06/27/14 02:32 PM

You need to fit it to your control panel. It'll fit in a standard button hole, so just use an existing button hole, or drill a new one.

The spinner plugs into that small controller PCB at one end, and a USB plugs in at the other end. You then just plug that into your PC.

Trebor
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/18/05
Send PM

Re: USB Arcade Spinner that plugs directly into PC USB port new [Re: Dullaron]
#327495 - 06/27/14 03:06 PM

> Not sure this will be good for MAME. Here is a link to a very cheap Griffin
> Technology NA16029 PowerMate USB Multimedia Controller.
> http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Technology...ds=mame+spinner
>
>
> Might get this. If this spins then it can be modded to get it more power speed on the
> spins.

I have that device and it does not work with any official release of MAME from the last several years. Many moons ago, MAME handled input reading differently. It will work with releases prior to MAME 0.118 (Aug 2007).

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Send PM

Re: USB Arcade Spinner that plugs directly into PC USB port new [Re: big10p]
#327496 - 06/27/14 03:11 PM

Quote:

You need to fit it to your control panel. It'll fit in a standard button hole, so just use an existing button hole, or drill a new one.

The spinner plugs into that small controller PCB at one end, and a USB plugs in at the other end. You then just plug that into your PC.

That's what I thought. That's what I specified I didn't want. Thanks though. I'm looking for something where I don't have to modify my X-Arcade in any way. The image I posted would be perfect if the trackball was replaced with a spinner. Something like that is what I am looking for.

Dullaron
Send PM

Re: USB Arcade Spinner that plugs directly into PC USB port new [Re: Trebor]
#327501 - 06/27/14 05:46 PM

> > Not sure this will be good for MAME. Here is a link to a very cheap Griffin
> > Technology NA16029 PowerMate USB Multimedia Controller.
> >
> >
> >
> > Might get this. If this spins then it can be modded to get it more power speed on
> the
> > spins.
>
> I have that device and it does not work with any official release of MAME from the
> last several years. Many moons ago, MAME handled input reading differently. It will
> work with releases prior to MAME 0.118 (Aug 2007).

If it work on the older MAME at 0.118 then it should work on the newer MAME. Had you reported this to the MAMETester? Maybe there an reading error in the changes that causes not letting it to work anymore? The turning part is like the mouse wheel movement. Maybe the mouse wheel coding been removed from the source?

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: USB Arcade Spinner that plugs directly into PC USB port new [Re: Dullaron]
#327502 - 06/27/14 06:05 PM

> > > Not sure this will be good for MAME. Here is a link to a very cheap Griffin
> > > Technology NA16029 PowerMate USB Multimedia Controller.
> > >
> >
> > >
> > >
> > > Might get this. If this spins then it can be modded to get it more power speed on
> > the
> > > spins.
> >
> > I have that device and it does not work with any official release of MAME from the
> > last several years. Many moons ago, MAME handled input reading differently. It will
> > work with releases prior to MAME 0.118 (Aug 2007).
>
> If it work on the older MAME at 0.118 then it should work on the newer MAME. Had you
> reported this to the MAMETester? Maybe there an reading error in the changes that
> causes not letting it to work anymore. The turning part is like the mouse movement.

It is likely, then, that the device depends solely on DirectInput, which is not the current method be default in MAME in Windows (RawInput). SDL version of MAME on Windows might use a more compatible methods which might work with that device.. suppose you won't know until you try. Alternatively, there is a variable in the source code you can toggle to "FORCE_DIRECTINPUT", but its fitness is not guaranteed nor is it reportable as a bug.

Dullaron
Send PM

Re: USB Arcade Spinner that plugs directly into PC USB port new [Re: Tafoid]
#327503 - 06/27/14 06:09 PM

> > > > Not sure this will be good for MAME. Here is a link to a very cheap Griffin
> > > > Technology NA16029 PowerMate USB Multimedia Controller.
> > > >
> > >
> >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Might get this. If this spins then it can be modded to get it more power speed
> on
> > > the
> > > > spins.
> > >
> > > I have that device and it does not work with any official release of MAME from
> the
> > > last several years. Many moons ago, MAME handled input reading differently. It
> will
> > > work with releases prior to MAME 0.118 (Aug 2007).
> >
> > If it work on the older MAME at 0.118 then it should work on the newer MAME. Had
> you
> > reported this to the MAMETester? Maybe there an reading error in the changes that
> > causes not letting it to work anymore. The turning part is like the mouse movement.
>
>
> It is likely, then, that the device depends solely on DirectInput, which is not the
> current method be default in MAME in Windows (RawInput). SDL version of MAME on
> Windows might use a more compatible methods which might work with that device..
> suppose you won't know until you try. Alternatively, there is a variable in the
> source code you can toggle to "FORCE_DIRECTINPUT", but its fitness is not guaranteed
> nor is it reportable as a bug.

I think it uses Mouse Z (Wheel). It should work the same way as the mouse wheel does.

lamprey
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/01/11
Send PM

Re: USB Arcade Spinner that plugs directly into computer's USB port new [Re: Big Karnak]
#327506 - 06/27/14 07:07 PM

I don't know of anything like that. You could pull out the trackball and add a spinner in its place. Or you can drill a new hole (or use an existing one).

I assume you already saw this:
http://krysss.blogspot.com/2013/06/adding-spinner-to-x-arcade-tankstick.html

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: USB Arcade Spinner that plugs directly into PC USB port new [Re: Tafoid]
#327509 - 06/27/14 08:15 PM

> It is likely, then, that the device depends solely on DirectInput, which is not the
> current method be default in MAME in Windows (RawInput). SDL version of MAME on
> Windows might use a more compatible methods which might work with that device..

SDL auto-selects input methods so it works with RawInput, DirectInput, and XInput (e.g. 360 controllers) devices. So yes, a Windows SDL build should work properly with peripherals that MAME itself has issues with.

Edited by R. Belmont (06/27/14 08:17 PM)

Andrew
Girl Watcher
Loc: Boston, Mass.
Send PM

Re: USB Arcade Spinner that plugs directly into PC USB port new [Re: krick]
#327613 - 06/30/14 02:08 PM

> Groovy Game Gear Turbo Twist 2

Does the PS/2 version work as well as the USB version? I have a IPAC2 with a free PS/2 in (I use a wireless USB keyboard) and would rather use that instead of taking up another USB port.

--
A story of one man and his obsession with the female anatomy.

Sune
Connected
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: USB Arcade Spinner that plugs directly into PC USB port new [Re: Andrew]
#327616 - 06/30/14 04:59 PM

> > Groovy Game Gear Turbo Twist 2
>
> Does the PS/2 version work as well as the USB version? I have a IPAC2 with a free
> PS/2 in (I use a wireless USB keyboard) and would rather use that instead of taking
> up another USB port.

But that's a PS2 keyboard port isn't it? Spinners are single-axis mice.

Before buying anything try plugging in a regular PS2 mouse and see if it works.

S

Andrew
Girl Watcher
Send PM

Re: USB Arcade Spinner that plugs directly into PC USB port new [Re: Sune]
#327633 - 07/01/14 02:50 AM

> But that's a PS2 keyboard port isn't it? Spinners are single-axis mice.

You're right and Randy confirmed .

So I can't do what I originally thought but then I realized I also use a wireless USB trackball so the PS/2 mouse port is free. I really need to get down on my knees with a flashlight and look at the rear of my PC more often.

--
A story of one man and his obsession with the female anatomy.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

#327639 - 07/01/14 04:54 AM

> That's what I thought. That's what I specified I didn't want. Thanks though. I'm
> looking for something where I don't have to modify my X-Arcade in any way. The image
> I posted would be perfect if the trackball was replaced with a spinner. Something
> like that is what I am looking for.

Dude, don't be retarded. A button-hole spinner is a fucking milestone. Still. And the PCB comes with the unit, dodie. It's not, like, a separate unit you buy, it's the fucking encoder. Snap it to the inside.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

#327640 - 07/01/14 05:02 AM

> > But that's a PS2 keyboard port isn't it? Spinners are single-axis mice.
>
> You're right and Randy confirmed .
>
> So I can't do what I originally thought but then I realized I also use a wireless USB
> trackball so the PS/2 mouse port is free. I really need to get down on my knees with
> a flashlight and look at the rear of my PC more often.

An I'll be waitin for ya, HEHN HEHN HEHN HEHN HEHN HEHN.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Andrew
Girl Watcher
Send PM

Re: USB Arcade Spinner that plugs directly into PC USB port new [Re: Traso]
#327950 - 07/09/14 01:22 PM

> An I'll be waitin for ya, HEHN HEHN HEHN HEHN HEHN HEHN.

So I went with the TurboTwist 2 with the USB connection and "Big Blue" knob. Played Tempest and Arkanoid so far and it works quite nicely. I should have opted for a different colored knob though as all my controls now are blue, except for the white player 1 start button.

big10p
Arcadian
Send PM

#327951 - 07/09/14 01:40 PM

> > An I'll be waitin for ya, HEHN HEHN HEHN HEHN HEHN HEHN.
>
> So I went with the TurboTwist 2 with the USB connection and "Big Blue" knob. Played
> Tempest and Arkanoid so far and it works quite nicely. I should have opted for a
> different colored knob though as all my controls now are blue, except for the white
> player 1 start button.

Different colored buttons are cheap and easy enough to fit.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

#327976 - 07/10/14 01:55 AM

> So I went with the TurboTwist 2 with the USB connection and "Big Blue" knob. Played Tempest and Arkanoid so far and it works quite nicely. I should have opted for a different colored knob though as all my controls now are blue, except for the white player 1 start button.

Groovy - no pun intended. I have a TT2 I bought to check out, but have had no reason to replace my Tornado Spinner, nor have I built another panel to put the TT2 in. Of note is that I'd need the 'energy storage cylinder' to match the spin I'm used to of the Tornado....or, wait, I think I got an anodized aluminum top with the TT2, which might be good enough....I forget.....

Yeah, I've never been hot on blue, and the stock plastic spinner is pretty dull. Here's a vid of the TT2 and stock knob, for anyone curious:

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 367 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 17451