Pages: 1

big10p
Arcadian
Reged: 03/13/14
Loc: UK
Send PM

What IDE?
#327142 - 06/19/14 12:36 PM

Just out of interest, what IDE are the MAME devs here using (and anyone else, for that matter)?

I want to have a play around with the source and could do with a good IDE. Free is good, BTW.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: What IDE? new [Re: big10p]
#327144 - 06/19/14 01:39 PM

> Just out of interest, what IDE are the MAME devs here using (and anyone else, for
> that matter)?
>
> I want to have a play around with the source and could do with a good IDE. Free is
> good, BTW.

FWIW I just use vim/CMake/clang/gdb command-line. It can be roped into doing most things you need.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

#327145 - 06/19/14 01:59 PM

> Just out of interest, what IDE are the MAME devs here using (and anyone else, for
> that matter)?
>
> I want to have a play around with the source and could do with a good IDE. Free is
> good, BTW.

TextPad and cmd.exe

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#327146 - 06/19/14 02:12 PM

> that matter)?

SlickEdit and command-line make and gdb.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#327154 - 06/19/14 06:12 PM

> that matter)?
>
> good, BTW.

I was gonna try installing and configuring Eclipse on my new Linux box, here's some old directions for setting it up with MESS.
http://www.mess.org/howto/setup_eclipse_for_mess

- Stiletto

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

Re: What IDE? new [Re: Stiletto]
#327168 - 06/20/14 03:51 AM

> > Just out of interest, what IDE are the MAME devs here using (and anyone else, for
> > that matter)?
> >
> > I want to have a play around with the source and could do with a good IDE. Free is
> > good, BTW.
>
> I was gonna try installing and configuring Eclipse on my new Linux box, here's some
> old directions for setting it up with MESS.
> http://www.mess.org/howto/setup_eclipse_for_mess
>
> - Stiletto

Eclipse for anything but Java is a recipe for pain. Don't do it unless you're a masochist.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: What IDE? new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#327175 - 06/20/14 04:43 AM

> > > Just out of interest, what IDE are the MAME devs here using (and anyone else, for
> > > that matter)?
> > >
> > > I want to have a play around with the source and could do with a good IDE. Free
> is
> > > good, BTW.
> >
> > I was gonna try installing and configuring Eclipse on my new Linux box, here's some
> > old directions for setting it up with MESS.
> > http://www.mess.org/howto/setup_eclipse_for_mess
> >
> > - Stiletto
>
> Eclipse for anything but Java is a recipe for pain. Don't do it unless you're a
> masochist.

Yeah, that's the situation where I used it. Hell, I don't think I can name another free, open-source IDE.

That and I also wanted to see if the directions on the MESS.org website were still valid, what needed updating, etc.

Though as anyone on the team could tell you, I am kinda a masochist too. Anyone who's beaten their head against the wall in search of documentation as often as I have probably is. For that matter, most emulation developers are.

- Stiletto

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

Re: What IDE? new [Re: Stiletto]
#327178 - 06/20/14 05:12 AM

> Yeah, that's the situation where I used it. Hell, I don't think I can name another
> free, open-source IDE.

KDevelop is free as in beards.
IntelliJ has an Apache-licensed edition.
NetBeans is CDDL/GPL2.
Qt Creator is free.
Code::Blocks is GPL.

Those are just open source ones that I can think of right now with C++ support. Not endorsing any of them.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#327209 - 06/20/14 05:17 PM

Valve recommends Qt Creator and Sublime Text to the VS-addled game industry monkeys. Sublime Text in particular is interesting - it's a multiplatform Notepad++ clone with plugin support, and lots of available plugins. (If you're just on Windows, you can do far worse than Notepad++ itself, by the way, and it's free).

couriersud
Reged: 03/27/07
Send PM

#327228 - 06/21/14 02:28 AM

> > > Just out of interest, what IDE are the MAME devs here using (and anyone else, for
> > > that matter)?
> > >
> > > I want to have a play around with the source and could do with a good IDE. Free
> is
> > > good, BTW.
> >
> > I was gonna try installing and configuring Eclipse on my new Linux box, here's some
> > old directions for setting it up with MESS.
> > http://www.mess.org/howto/setup_eclipse_for_mess
> >
> > - Stiletto
>
> Eclipse for anything but Java is a recipe for pain. Don't do it unless you're a
> masochist.

It was bad a couple of years ago. Now I use kepler and it is working nicely.
Though I have 12Gb ram on my machine....

The C indexer also works. You'll have all the goodies like call history, jump to declaration, ... you name it.

big10p
Arcadian
Reged: 03/13/14
Loc: UK
Send PM

Re: What IDE? new [Re: couriersud]
#327240 - 06/21/14 11:00 AM

> > > > Just out of interest, what IDE are the MAME devs here using (and anyone else,
> for
> > > > that matter)?
> > > >
> > > > I want to have a play around with the source and could do with a good IDE. Free
> > is
> > > > good, BTW.
> > >
> > > I was gonna try installing and configuring Eclipse on my new Linux box, here's
> some
> > > old directions for setting it up with MESS.
> > > http://www.mess.org/howto/setup_eclipse_for_mess
> > >
> > > - Stiletto
> >
> > Eclipse for anything but Java is a recipe for pain. Don't do it unless you're a
> > masochist.
>
> It was bad a couple of years ago. Now I use kepler and it is working nicely.
> Though I have 12Gb ram on my machine....
>
> The C indexer also works. You'll have all the goodies like call history, jump to
> declaration, ... you name it.

This sounds promising. Jump to declaration is something I'm keen to have.

drewcifer
One bad Mutha-(shut yo' mouth!)
Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Sweden
Send PM

Re: What IDE? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#327252 - 06/21/14 08:19 PM

> Valve recommends Qt Creator and Sublime Text to the VS-addled game industry monkeys.
> Sublime Text in particular is interesting - it's a multiplatform Notepad++ clone with
> plugin support, and lots of available plugins. (If you're just on Windows, you can do
> far worse than Notepad++ itself, by the way, and it's free).

I use QT Creator and really like it. Since QT has its own internal compiler for all its MOC stuff, its C++ parsing is spot on, and IDE operations like "Find all uses of this function" and "Jump to declaration" are pretty darn perfect (I can't remember getting a false match - even when dozens of functions are named the same thing, classes have complex inheritance, etc). Templates confuse it occasionally, but templates confuse everything/everyone, so meh :-).

Happy coding! The MAME source tree is pretty well organized and really easy to follow if you stick with it.
/Andrew

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 381 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2032