Pages: 1

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Reged: 05/22/13
Loc: Mount St. Lurkling
Send PM

List of unavailable games there were available in previous version
#326935 - 06/14/14 07:47 AM

After each new release of MAME, my Available games reduce. This is due to renaming of sets, adding new files to sets, etc. I know there is the MameInfo changelog that lists the Renamed Sets. But that information doesn't catch all of the games that have now become unavailable.

Basically what I'm looking for is something like: "The following previously Available games will be displayed as Unavailable with this new MAME version release."

I know about ClrMAMEPro and other similar ROM managers. But I wanted to know if there was a list available without using any programs.

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: List of unavailable games there were available in previous version new [Re: Big Karnak]
#326950 - 06/14/14 05:05 PM

Just use clrmamepro. It's way too much work to do by hand.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: List of unavailable games there were available in previous version new [Re: Big Karnak]
#326951 - 06/14/14 05:11 PM

> Basically what I'm looking for is something like: "The following previously Available
> games will be displayed as Unavailable with this new MAME version release."
>
> I know about ClrMAMEPro and other similar ROM managers. But I wanted to know if there
> was a list available without using any programs.

You're overthinking the problem. For sets that get renamed or reparented, ClrMAMEPro will keep them available so there's no need for a list.

AntoPISA
MAME Snapper
Reged: 09/15/08
Loc: Pisa, Italy
Send PM

#326954 - 06/14/14 06:56 PM

You know my file "renameSET.dat"?
Get it here: http://www.progettosnaps.net/renameset/

Site: https://www.progettosnaps.net/
Board: progetto-SNAPS Official Board
Twitter: @progettosnaps

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

#326964 - 06/14/14 10:21 PM

> Basically what I'm looking for is something like: "The following previously Available
> games will be displayed as Unavailable with this new MAME version release."
>
> I know about ClrMAMEPro and other similar ROM managers. But I wanted to know if there
> was a list available without using any programs.

Now I'm curious to ask why are you updating your MAME version if don't keep updated your MAME romset in the first place? You could answer "to fix previous bugs" or "to improve emulation" but in many cases you need new ROMs for that too.

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Send PM

Re: List of unavailable games there were available in previous version new [Re: BIOS-D]
#326990 - 06/15/14 07:20 AM

I don't have the complete MAME ROM set like many others do. I only have a few hundred games of my liking. So with each new MAME version release, I normally have to redownload around ten or so ROMs. So I don't mind doing it "manually". I kind of like it (I know it's weird but w/e.) But no problem, I'll use one of the ROM managers... I've just been hesitant to use them in case it messes up my ROMs that I've manually downloaded over the years. If I had the complete set, then I wouldn't care that much because if it gets messed up, all I would have to do is just do a single download of the complete set. (Btw, I don't want/can't have the complete set due to my limited hard drive space.) Anyways, I've just backed up my ROMs on a USB stick I just got, so no worries. I'm good now.

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

#327016 - 06/15/14 08:30 PM

http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=C...301%26veh%3Dsem

Dude, seriously?

You can find them even cheaper... This was the 1st one to come up. Just saying...

Edited by Bad A Billy (06/15/14 08:32 PM)

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

#327023 - 06/16/14 12:54 AM

There's nothing wrong in doing everything manually if you only have a few files. But if you keep only some games and you don't want to be bothered with ROM managers and incomplete changed lists, wouldn't it be logical (and a sane option) not to update MAME versions at all?

Most of everything playable and emulated has been done already, I don't see the point in torturing yourself with new romsets you won't play, update nor get.

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Send PM

Re: List of unavailable games there were available in previous version new [Re: BIOS-D]
#327041 - 06/16/14 07:18 AM

I see your point, but games get updated, more accurate, bugs fixed, etc. Along with the popular games, I play rare and unpopular games that most people never play.... So if I didn't update to the newest versions, I wouldn't be able to help report any bugs I find. Plus, as I've said, I kind of enjoy it. And I wasn't sure about using ROM managers with incomplete ROM sets. But it's all good now.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 461 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2156